• This topic has 46 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Worth shelling out on expensive cassettes?
  • cuberider
    Free Member

My pricey(ish) SRAM PG980 cassette has worn only after a single year whereas the stock Alvio HG50 had lasted about twice that time.

I understand there are all sorts of variables but I’m interested to hear your opinion on whether it’s worth paying extra for lighter cassettes and if so, what models do you recommend?

As a side issue, is there any way of getting hold of replacement rings so you don’t have to throw away the entire cassette? Seems pretty wasteful.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If you have an aluminium freehub body then it is worth paying for XT level cassettes with the larger sprockets on an aluminium carrier so they don’t gouge the freehub body and ultimately become a real pain to remove.

Frodo

or an SLX with the plastic spider arm carrying the larger cogs.

In general no, they cost more and don’t last as long. This is not good in the peak distruct where winter produces an abrasive gloop of sand and mud!

njee20
    Free Member

or an SLX with the plastic alu spider arm carrying the larger cogs.

I think XT are worth it, significant weight savings. XTR are harder to justify – marginally lighter, but less durable. X.0 and XX are lighter still, but also even more expensive. Both are fully steel though, so durability should be better than XTR, must say my XX cassette did last very well, but I know a lot of people who’ve found the opposite.

So… sort of.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

XTR are harder to justify – marginally lighter…

The old 9spds were significantly lighter.

But also significantly more expensive.

Pro road teams used to run Ultegra cassettes a few years back as they lasted longer than Dura-Ace – not sure if this is still the case.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me xt is a good comprises for my main bike
    Not silly money shifts well and light ish

But for the xc hardtail I did splash out on xx cassette for it.
    bike only gets used in the summer and does not do mega miles
    The while drive chain is xx inc grip shift and works so well , worth the money Erm maybe not

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pro road teams used to run Ultegra cassettes a few years back as they lasted longer than Dura-Ace – not sure if this is still the case.

On the basis they get given them for free that seems hard to believe. More likely they needed a smidgen more weight to meet the UCI limit.

Unless you don’t ride much a year is quite along time to get out of a cassette, I used to make them last a year when I was a student but they were properly shagged by the end. Now I use SLX or XT depending on whats in the sales at the time, but I ride SS so much that they rarely get worn out.

jdwafc
    Free Member

A new pg990 is around 40 quid if you look about.
    Or buy second hand about £25 for a decent one.
    Also changing the chain when worn will improve the lifespan of the cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

On the basis they get given them for free that seems hard to believe. More likely they needed a smidgen more weight to meet the UCI limit.

And for that reason quite a few do still use Ultegra ones.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I only ever use deore cassettes and chainrings and the cheapest SRAM chain I can get. I normally get at least two years out of this setup.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just replaced an old 990 with another, new 990. Planet X were doing good deals and I’ve been more than happy with my old one. I haven’t scrimped on any other part and don’t buy new stuff for the sake of it, just replace when the old stuff has worn out. To be honest, my old 990 is still fine but I’ve bought new wheels so now have the old wheels and chain with slicks on for commuting and new wheels/chain/cassette for off road duty – made sense for a new one with new wheels.

mrmo
    Free Member

some teams buy there kit… though the weight is a real issue as well.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

In terms of value/performance you cannot go wrong with an XT cassette, used them for years with no complaints.

bigrich

second hand drivetrain is not a good idea.

mrmo
    Free Member

Maybe it is me, but by the time i have finished with cassettes they are trashed and on that basis i would never buy a second hand one, it simply wouldn’t work!

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

I’ve had a n XT cassette on my HT for about 6 or 7 years and still shifts silently, well worth the money, would steer clear of x9 though, sram cassettes are dreadful in my opinion.

jimification
    Free Member

I’ve had a n XT cassette on my HT for about 6 or 7 years and still shifts silently, well worth the money, would steer clear of x9 though, sram cassettes are dreadful in my opinion.

None of them wear out if you leave them in the shed! 😉

cuberider
    Free Member

Maybe it is me, but by the time i have finished with cassettes they are trashed and on that basis i would never buy a second hand one, it simply wouldn’t work!

Yip!

jamj1974

Change chains when wear shows and cassettes can last years where I ride.

Waderider
    Free Member

More likely they needed a smidgen more weight to meet the UCI limit.

They wouldn’t add rotating weight. Lots of internet guesswork…..

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just curious to me xt is not exspencive as cassettes go ?

br
    Free Member

I only ever use deore cassettes and chainrings and the cheapest SRAM chain I can get. I normally get at least two years out of this setup.

Anything lasts if you don’t use it…

jedimindtricks
    Free Member

Spend as much as you feel you can afford. If you can spend £100 every year on a cassette then why not..

Personally I’d take the XT/SLX everytime, good performance and doesn’t destroy the freebody or your pocket.. If you go for a cheap cassette you’ll be spending another £50 on a freebody in a years time so won’t actually be saving lol.

Unless the freebody is steel then it doesn’t matter about damage from cassette. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Who is saying I don’t use it br? I ride regularly in all conditions with the Midlands finest sandy soil. Things get worn quickly around here if they are crap.

njee20
    Free Member

They wouldn’t add rotating weight. Lots of internet guesswork…..

Utter bollocks.

Lampre, on an otherwise top spec bike. First example I found, but not uncommon.

thomthumb
    Free Member

rotating weight.

at the diameter of a cassette it’s the square of FA

jamj1974

I_Ache – Member
    Who is saying I don’t use it br? I ride regularly in all conditions with the Midlands finest sandy soil. Things get worn quickly around here if they are crap.

Same here and no issues much like you I-Ache

mrelectric

My XX that came with the Nerve has lasted as long as 3 or more XT did on the Rock Springs & is even lighter. No marks on the titanium tho the biggest is alu and might be weak link (I’d heard this can be replaced but don’t know any more, anyone?)
    So a shed load more but pays for itself over 2-3 yrs.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Weight – not fussed

It’s practical reasons that force me to buy expensive.

As mentioned earlier – swiss cheese ali freehubs (*cough* Crank Brothers *cough* ), you need ali spiders on the cassette to stop them eating the freehub.

In my case (again down to CB), I need an ali lockring also else, as happened, the thread on the freehub can be damaged.

And finally (again CB hub fault!)… I’m forced to use Shimano as the screws on the back of SRAM 10 speed cassettes interfere with the hub. A shame as I find the shifting a little smoother and less wear with SRAM cassettes (the fancy XT Shimano one I’ve got has worn before the chain!).

njee20
    Free Member

No marks on the titanium tho the biggest is alu and might be weak link (I’d heard this can be replaced but don’t know any more, anyone?)

They’re steel, hence lasting well, ti is softer. You can replace the biggest sprocket, but one doesn’t tend to use it that much, so it lasts well. Chainrings are normally alu after all, and they last a reasonable time with far more use.

Have to say mine wasn’t that good, but it did seem to last longer. I don’t doubt if one was more proactive with chain replacement you could get a good life out of them.

nickc

XT is default cassette for me, weight is reasonable, shifting is excellent, lasts well normally get 12-18 months. Good value

mattk
    Free Member

Deore ones are available for £15 and my last one has been on the bike for years. But i do change the chain regularly.

Unless your a real weight weenie it’s probably not worth the extra for the XT.

njee20
    Free Member

Changing chain to preserve a £15 cassette strikes me as a false economy, I’d run it in to the ground and replace chain and cassette together.

boxelder

Njee20 – would then need chainrings too

njee20
    Free Member

Perhaps. I’d still do that though, never really found chainring life varies depending on chain replacement.

I find a chain is worn enough to take out the cassette after 3 months, but will happily last a year until its completely dead. So you’d need 4 chains or £40+ worth to preserve a £15 cassette. Assuming steel rings too, the likelihood is that you’ll need a new middle ring, so another £15 or so. Still cheaper.

dsb181
    Free Member

I’m about to buy a new cassette, I think I’m going to go for a 11-36 Shimano XT (M771)

Could somebody tell me if i’ll be okay using my KMC X10 93 chain on this, it’s saying in the description that it’s for use with “Super Narrow 10-speed HG chains”?

Thanks

boxelder

Any 10 spd chain will be fine (and some 9 spd ones)

mattk
    Free Member

Changing chain to preserve a £15 cassette strikes me as a false economy,

Not when it’s preserving my chain rings too

boxelder

{Shameless plug}I’ve a gaggle of vg condition 9 spd cassettes in classifieds, from £15{/shameless plug}

njee20
    Free Member

Any 10 spd chain will be fine (and some 9 spd ones)

Wouldn’t advocate using 9 speed chains on 10 speed blocks. But yes, any 10 speed chain will be fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Worth shelling out on expensive cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.