Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Worth changing from ancient Fox Van forks to newer 15mm?
  • fridge
    Free Member

Trying to decide what forks to run on my fairly newly acquired (from here) Dialled Alpine. Currently running my ancient, ’02 complete with V-brake post, Fox Vans at 125mm. Would like a little more beef but not sure I want the weight, or need the gnarr, of some coil Pikes, which seem popular…

So would I gain anything by going to some newer Fox Van 140s with the 15mm qr? Or perhaps some coil Marzocchi 44s?

Small budget so Bos Devilles out of the question!

Cheers

coatesy
    Free Member

Did something similar a few years back, makes quite a difference all up, a bit more torsionally stiff, far more secure wheel retention, and much quicker to swap wheels than a qr.

fridge
    Free Member

Did something similar a few years back, makes quite a difference all up, a bit more torsionally stiff, far more secure wheel retention, and much quicker to swap wheels than a qr.

Was that with Fox forks?

P20

I had those vanilla forks on my yeti. They’d felt fine at 100mm, but flexy at 125mm. The latest 140mm qr are stiffer, but I still prefer the 15mm qr versions. Put it ts way, three bikes in the garage, three running 140mm vanillas with qr15. All good

midlifecrashes

Have a look at the DT RWS axle, about £35 ish or the SuperStar version, HERE, for £8. You then need adaptors for your front wheel, or a new one. Might be what you’re after, and cheaper to find out. If you just want new shiny, get new forks.

fridge
    Free Member

Have a look at the DT RWS axle, about £35 ish or the SuperStar version, HERE, for £8. You then need adaptors for your front wheel, or a new one. Might be what you’re after, and cheaper to find out. If you just want new shiny, get new forks.

Looked at this with interest but I don’t think my XT hubs are compatible?

I had those vanilla forks on my yeti. They’d felt fine at 100mm, but flexy at 125mm. The latest 140mm qr are stiffer, but I still prefer the 15mm qr versions. Put it ts way, three bikes in the garage, three running 140mm vanillas with qr15. All good

That’s encouraging, don’t really know if my forks are flexy as I’ve nothing to compare too, can hear the disc rub when cranking which I guess is an indication.

Cheers

enfht
    Free Member

I think vans only come in 36 now so they’ll be slightly heavier than the 32 version.

I’m curious how stiffer 36 is compared with 32, my 32 do flex a bit under load but thats with a 180 rotor.

midlifecrashes

Nope, XT hubs are QR only, but if you’re thinking of going to 15mm axle you’ll need a new hub or wheel anyway. If you buy a Pro2 front now, you could try the 9mm out first, then if it isn’t for you, sell on the bits and get 15mm ends for the hub to go with the Van140R.

fridge
    Free Member

36 Vans are a fair bit heavier and longer, I’m sure they’re stiffer though but probably too much for me and my bike.

coatesy
    Free Member

In answer to your question, yes, both Fox forks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Worth changing from ancient Fox Van forks to newer 15mm?’ is closed to new replies.