Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Worst DIY jobs?
  • midlifecrashes

Currently removing Lincrusta from a 5x6m ceiling, 11 ft up.

Definitely worst thing I’ve ever done, including drains and all sorts of building work and fire damage. Scrape hack scrape scrape hack scrape hack steam, repeat till exhaustion, give it half an hour on internet, repeat till bedtime. Get up again today and carry on.

Your least favourite job?

Stoner
    Free Member

insulating a loft or stripping ancient wallpaper.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

The job I’ve least enjoyed in recent months is cleaning out the drains for our downstairs toilet – I’ve had to attack it 3 times before I could finally get to the bottom of the problem, each attempt taking me to new levels of grossness.

The most soul destroying job I’ve done in the last year was to move what turned out to be about 6 tons of topsoil by hand/barrow from our back garden. It rained the entire weekend I spent doing it – filling the barrow, taking it round to the trailer, shovelling it into the trailer, taking trailer to local tip, shovelling out trailer… home and repeat ad infinitum.

I’d badly underestimated how much earth I was going to have to move to make space for our deck, and by the time I’d realised, it was too late to hire a skip, which would have cut down the amount of work involved considerably.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Not far behind would be flooring the loft in our last house. I’m a large chap and it was pretty tight between the various trusses – by the time I’d finished, I had to relearn how to walk upright again!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

get to the bottom of the problem

Well that made me laugh. Am I juvenile?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Re-Insulating a loft – removing all the old insulation, thick with slate tile dust from when the roof had been replaced, was the pits. Two massively unpleasant days.

Pulling down a lath and plaster ceiling (below an attic – so attic filth and insulation mixed in with lath and plaster).

chorlton
    Free Member

Stripping wood chip wallpaper painted with silk emulsion. Evil stuff.

I once had to strip paint off an ornate ceiling made of some sort of metal, which made stripping wood chip seem easy.

DaRC_L

Stripping that external paint from the house – the stuff you get flyers through the door that promise no more painting it…
    bought the house with it already on but soon realiseed it was cracked and starting to **** the render. None if the local trades would touch it so I spent the summer doing it by hand.

It was worse than stripping the interior walls which had generations of woodchip that had then been painted over, then woodchip, then paint…

Since that house I’ve realised that DIY = time off the bike / games console / ‘puter = not worth it!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Glossing….

Cos you do one little bit to tidy something up which then makes some other white woodwork look dirty so you think….. I’ll just do that bit and so it goes on……

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’m half way through stripping 100years worth of paint of my stairs. Nitromores is nowhere near as good as it makes out on the tin, but 100 times better than all the alternative I’ve tried.

Hateful job, don’t recommend it. Wish I’d just decided to carpet instead.

yossarian
    Free Member

Stripping back floorboards.

It should be fun and really satisfying. Instead it is hot, noisy, dirty and frustrating.

Carpet is the way forward.

richmtb

Stripping ancient wall paper is always a PITA.

Sanding the decking wasn’t a lot of fun but made bearable by wearing my Race Face kneepads while doing it!

flip
    Free Member

I love other peoples diy, i get paid for it 😉

The more they hate it the more they pay me!

retro83
    Free Member

Clearing over 9000 tonnes of knotted up hair from my old student digs previous tenants which had blocked the shower drain.
    There were manky old plasters and various other items mixed in with it.

The smell caused my housemate and I to get into this sort of wretching ‘conversation’ which culminated in him doing this sort of projectile vomit hiccup. Good times. 😆

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Good thread.

Pulling bags and bags of old insulation out of the loft, full suit, gloves mask and googles, but still got covered in crap. Hateful. The upside is the new stuff is so much more efficient, and the house is much warmer in the cold weather.

I will never, ever, ever strip the paint from banisters ever again. If you don’t like them, pull them out and put new ones in, or just bloody paint over the top of them and leave them for the next person to deal with. If the wife is insistent, divorce will be less painful.

Oh, and blocked drains I’m not doing anymore. I’ll call someone out next time.

bassspine
    Free Member

bailing out a cess pit with a bucket. Leaky gloves. Nuff said.

Pieface

Removing wattle & daub plaster from a ceiling, however a rake is very handy.

Pieface

For stripping stuff off stairs / floorboards, belt sander FTW

mos

Insulation multiplied by cramped loft raised to the power of summer equals hate.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Anything that involves going “beyond the plughole”

D0NK

most stuff is just mind numbingly boring, papering is what gets me, short drops I can manage but the 10ft+ I have to do for most rooms in my house I go mental, when paper won’t go on straight and I rip it all down have a paddy and storm out. First time I did this infront of my mrs she was quite surprised – I’m normally quite mild mannered.

bagpuss72 – Member

Glossing….

Cos you do one little bitIME every DIY job starts as “just one little bit” several hours later and you’ve still not finished the actual “little bit” you started out to do.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Worst was also removing old loose insulation from the loft on what seemed like the hottest day of the year.

painting bannisters is a far longer job than you imagine.

Running cables in the crawl space under the ground floor is fairly unpleasant too.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Removing Artex.

Removing lino glued to concrete floors.

Removing glass wool insulation.

Living with women with long curly hair, and having to dismantle a shower unit, remove the tray and unblock the waste pipe which has burst causing a flood. Then having to deal with irate women who claim the blockage caused by their hair is nothing to do with them, oh no….

mattk
    Free Member

+1 for loft insulation.

Hot, sweaty, itchy job – in fact just like some girls i know 😳

khani
    Free Member

Cleaning up 60m2 of reclaimed parquet flooring
    Funfunfun 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Cleaning a year’s worth of Mrs Gti’s long hair out of the shower drain makes me heave; it’s always mixed up with scum, grease, black stuff and all kinds of nasties.

Crawling under the floor and rearranging the plastic soil pipes when I wanted to move the downstairs bog was grim, I was working in a 12″ space with my head right next to the open drain inhaling the fine odours rising from the street sewer. Floor is concrete on beams so I couldn’t do the job from above.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Removing very old wallpaper.
    Sanding floorboards from ye olde days when the carpet/rug went in the middle and the edges were painted/stained.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

any DIY!!

the inlaws gave us the money to stick a conservatory on the back of the house 5 months before the new baby was due….

had to paint the conservatory (one side was a wall)the same colour as the living room and stairs. of course **** here goes to b&q and buys matt paint not silk!!!

so that turned into re-doing the living room aswell, then the stairs, then the landing! i nearly went insane.

but the worst part, as im an idiot, when we first moved in i used the sh*te that is ‘Polystyrene coving’!! the father in law got me to take this off so he could put on ‘proper’ stuff!!

by the end of the 2 weeks i booked off work i was hardly talking to the in-laws but what could i say as they gave us the cash… i still have the nightmares!

drain

One that I have to do myself 😕

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

here goes to b&q and buys matt paint not silk!!!

Given the subsequent work involved, would it not have been easier to go back to B&Q for the right paint?

iDave
    Free Member

Any DIY I did for my ex-wife. Analysed, picked at, criticised, moaned about…….

Ambrose

I gave up trying to remove the stranges patches of old woodchip in the bedroom when I realised that it wasn’t just painted over, it was glossed over and partially skimmed over too. I just hacked the plaster off and drylined the lot.

43derryroad
    Free Member

Removing kitchen floor tiles that were stuck down with the most powerful adhesive ever known to man which also took lumps of asphalt with it.

Re-instaling new loft hatch that the ‘professional’ couldn’t seem to do very well, he made up some crap excuse about a hospital appointment (at half seven at night!) and disappeared leaving me to finish the job. We didn’t pay him and the next day his boss comes round to enquire why!!

Sandwich

Removing loose fill insulation from a roof space that faced the prevailing wind. The soot from the upwind power station had been covered by the insulation. I was extremely black by the time it was done, plus there was a huge amount of birds nest materials to be removed. It was a vile couple of days!
    Putting the rock wool in was a relief by comparison.

Xylene
    Free Member

Top Hate List

1. Laying carpet – hate it more than anything else.
    2. Stripping gloss painted wallpaper – 4 days to do a room.
    3. Laying laminate flooring
    4. Anything invlolving cutting that isn’t a carpet

Don’t mind tiling though

thekingisdead
    Free Member

i hate chiseling out for back boxes. cant stand it.

hacking off old plaster – dust everywhere 🙁

restless
    Free Member

unblocking drains.
    i can only do this if i wear one of those waterproof disposable ponchos in case it splashes onto me , ugh 😐

another one i hate, even though its quite straightforward, is removing the dirty sealant from round the bath and re-doing it. it never seems to last more than 6mths before it needs doing again.

dontgetoutenough
    Free Member

not the worst but just 10min ago im trying to scrape yellowed silicone from the kitchen window surround
    and the damn stuff aint coming off, its the little streaks where you end up scratching it with your fingernail, actually,,,, wait let me pick my fingernails clean, they’re mingin

Sue_W
    Free Member

Taking down an old ceiling which had god knows how many years of rats pee, droppings and old nests mixed with ancient disintegrating insulation. Only way to do it was to stand underneath and get covered in it whilst wearing head to toe protective clothing and a breating mask.

Having spent 4 years renovating an old cottage only to have to put it on the market as soon as it’s finished for no profit has made me conclude that I am never, ever going to do major renovations / diy again – riding bikes is a far better use of my time!

samuri
    Free Member

Removing lino glued to concrete floors.

This one. Removing the actual tiles that come up is easy and actually quite fun. Then you get the tiles that leave bits of themselves behind, it’s like chipping away at jelly with a screwdriver. Each strip you remove, leaves two behind. The most soul destrying part of the whole job is clearing say a square metre after about 3 hours and standing up, stretching your back and seeing the remaining 20 metres to go.

Give me a backed up bog any time. Shit washes off in a couple of minutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Worst DIY jobs?’ is closed to new replies.