Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Worst discount ever?
  • bearnecessities

…actually, the reviews are better.

quieter drilling
    5 Jan 2014
    By Anonymous
    , bury
    “I bought it for a friend who has a dog that barks constantly with his current drills (bosch) I lent him my drill to try and his dog was quiet. so now he has his own, he can drill all day long in silence…result.”
    0 of 2 people found this review helpful.

wilko1999
    Free Member

😀 its good, but not sure it can compete with this one…

footflaps

Does anybody still buy drills with NiCd batteries?

bearnecessities

Yeah, I just noticed that too. Bugger; although not sure it’ll bother me as a diy tool.

roper
    Free Member

I once saw a sign which read
    ” Shoe Sale!!! Buy one Get One Free!!!”

hooli

My company often negotiate special prices, there is a whole department who do it.

I booked into a hotel last week after booking it through the corporate travel site and the “special price” they have negotiated was £15 more than the standard rate and we don’t get the free breakfast…and then there is a £10 booking fee for using this corporate travel site.

tomlevell

Special beer offers.

June 2010 offers

Wow what a deal. by tomlevell, on Flickr

and on the next shelf

It get’s better by tomlevell, on Flickr

And a bit further along!

Holy cow if I actually liked it I’d clean the shop out on that offer by tomlevell, on Flickr

Not that I’m bitter…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hooli – Member
    My company often negotiate special prices, there is a whole department who do it.

I booked into a hotel last week after booking it through the corporate travel site and the “special price” they have negotiated was £15 more than the standard rate and we don’t get the free breakfast…and then there is a £10 booking fee for using this corporate travel site.

A previous employer of mine had something similar. All travel booking was supposed to be done via an online platform, and using ‘preferred’ airlines etc. On one trip, I was doing outbound to Sydney, two weeks in Oz, then home via Singapore for three days of meetings. The preferred system would have had me on Qantas to Sydney, which would be fine, then to get me to Singapore, the only provided options were Qantas or BA. Via Heathrow! 🙂 About 3K more than the direct route I ended up with!

Someone must be taking a cut from systems like that. Surely….

tomhoward

Same here, special price for us, £75/night, no breakfast. Normal punter price, £24 a night B&B.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep we have the same. There’s some twaddle about corporate discounts being applied retrospectively or something, so the company still benefits if you book through the online portal.

I ignore when there’s a big difference.

righog
    Free Member

Does anybody still buy drills with NiCd batteries?

I bought one of these drills a couple of months back ( for quite a bit more than in the OP’s add)

The reason was it was cheaper to do this than buy 2 new NiCd, baterries, which fit all my other XRP 18V Dewalt tools, after about 10 yrs the original 4 batteries had given up, but the tools are still great.

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone must be taking a cut from systems like that. Surely….

Yes.. but not illegally. These companies (either your own employer or the people who run the website) negotiate a discount from the rack rate (‘standard’ rate) on the basis that they will buy a certain number of rooms that year. However the hotel/airline is free to discount its fares or rates however it needs to throughout the year. So the general public’s rate could easily end up lower, but they still want you to book the corporate rate to fulfil their contract.

Our company encourages you to save money when booking if you can, and the website does list non-corporate rates too, but they also advise that we only get the late cancellation policy on the official corporate rate.

bearnecessities

Settled on one of thesein the end; not as pretty as the Dewalt mind you 😥

nickjb
    Free Member

Settled on one of thesein the end

Good choice 🙂 Love mine

BigJohn

Back in December 2012 I went into Tradepoint and they were selling off the 14.4v NiMh with 2 batteries DeWalts (non hammer) for £27 (inc VAT) saying that Dewalt was clearing out all the old tech stuff and going over to Li-ion.

I got one (they were going quick) and it’s been a good companion to my main drill. (Makita LXT combi with 101 piece tool kit)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Some of the those “preffered” supplier travel deals will include a retro discount from the supplier at the end of the year, hence the company sometime pays an inflated price.

zippykona

Back in the 80s many shops had a Free Nelson Mandela offer. Never took them up on it though.

IanW
    Free Member

“Free Kashmir” spray painted on a wall had wife #1 expecting a bargain.

hooli

I know about the retrospective discount idea but having met some of the people who do our negotiating, I think that may be giving them too much credit 😕

It seems along with our HR dept, they couldn’t find their way out of a wet paper bag. I am yet to see most of them even answer the phone or return a message

rocketman
    Free Member

Have recently been visiting a number of glass ‘n’ marble motorcycle emporiums.

Their idea of an ‘exceptional’ offer is a new motorbike for full RRP plus a shitload of accessories I don’t want together with extended servicing/warranty plans. When asked if they can improve their offer there’s a long delay while they talk to the sales manager then they come back and offer half a tank of petrol

Awesomez

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Worst discount ever?’ is closed to new replies.