• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • worn stanchions
  • Pook

there’s a fair bit of wear on my trusty old revs – down to the silver. I’ve changed the fork but would still quite like to have these on my old hardtail.
    is there anything that can be done to sort them out?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I think you might be able to do something to the edges of the wear to help prevent it spreading, I have clear nail varnish in my head as a possibility, but don’t know where I got that from…

hora
    Free Member

Keep a look out for 2ndhand csu’

wolly
    Free Member

I’ve heard the clear nail varnish and superfine wet and dry

hora
    Free Member

Only on scratches though. The areas too big and it’d wear quick like that

james
    Free Member

I’d look to the source of the problem. ime chances are the top bush will be worn down to the metal. Get that replaced, top up the lowers with a bit more oil than recommended as they ought to run okay

sircharles
    Free Member

one would suggest changing them to a fork which will not incur any injury if they happened to fail at any given time 😯

Pook

would/could a coil fork catastrophically fail?

thepodge
    Free Member

No, you’ve worn through the coating not the tube

Pook

my thoughts exactly. So….to fix?

Also, podge, are you coming to gisburn?

Junkyard
    Free Member

there is not a real fix that I am aware of so I would just ride to death tbh

Unless you wish to get the stanchions re coated whihc is probably the sameprice as getting some forks
    Agree about seeing if bushes are worn
    Agree it is highly unlikely you will get a catastrophic coil fail due to worn stanchions

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Pook what have you replaced them with mate?

To be honest you’ve had good use of the revs and I wouldn’t risk them failing. Pop them in your loft or sell as spares.

Not worth the risk.

hora
    Free Member

Mosey ^^. +1

tpbiker
    Free Member

What risk is there of running forks with worn stanchions? Yes they might leak a bit of oil, and yes they might not work as intended, but some folk above appear to be implying that they would be dangerous?

Has a fork ever suffered catastrophically failure from a worn stanchion? ever…?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How are you judging stanchion wear? If visually then that might not be a good method. The coatings on these things are very very thin – microns thin, so if visually worn in all likelihood the size and shape of the stanchion will still be well within tolerance. So long as they’re not scratched, scored, obviously ovaled or pitted, then i’d bet they’re perfectly serviceable with plenty of life left. Is it even possible for a catastrophic failure to occur? If so i’d have thought that the manufacturers would have some warning regarding visual wear or even life the stanchions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i cannot see how a worn stanchion will do much beyond leak tbh it such a small change in diameter and therefore strength

unklehomered
    Free Member

Has a fork ever suffered catastrophically failure from a worn stanchion? ever…?

This is what I was wondering.

tpbiker
    Free Member

isn’t it a coating that is getting worn off, so not actually structural?

Plenty of folk would happily sandblast the paint off a frame afterall, which I assume isn’t massively different.

thepodge
    Free Member

No Gisburn for me, check your emails.

Forks will be fine for a beater bike but I’d sell them, even 20 quid is better than taking up space

grum
    Free Member

These are still going strong (including uplift in the Pyrenees) after cleaning out the seals, relubing them/changing the oil, then doing the nail varnish/wet n dry thing mentioned above. They don’t leak any oil at the moment and feel pretty plush.

I think talk of a catastrophic failure is way OTT personally.

ruffride
    Free Member

All it does is make them not as smooth sometimes an in dry weather sticky the odd time just spray seals often with for lube or alike an will be nicer don’t worrie about it only effect is there worth less if you sell

Pook

grum – that’s exactly what mine look like. I’ll stick them on my spare frame

cheers all

grum
    Free Member

Just out of interest Pook did you have a NeoGuard on those forks?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘worn stanchions’ is closed to new replies.