Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Worn narrow/wide chainrings – what are the signs?
  • colournoise

Are there any symptoms of a worn n/w chainring?

And a follow-up question – are Superstar n/w rings notorious for not playing nicely with some makes of 10 speed chain? Had some issues with both SRAM and KNC chains ‘gripping’ on to the chainring and being pulled up and round the ring before springing off and causing the chain to skip (makes a horrible noise constantly too). Switched to a RaceFace n/w I had kicking around and the issue has gone.

scaled
    Free Member

Mine (SRAM) sounds like i’m stirring gravel with a spanner at the moment as soon as i’m at either end of the cassette, it’s horrible

whitestone
    Free Member

Sounds like chain suck – I had this last year. With a single chainring *all* the wear is on the one ring not spread across two or three.

batman11
    Free Member

You might start dropping the chain off more on stuff! Which my broken ribs can attest to from last year

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I started dropping chains

rocketman
    Free Member

ime the narrow teeth start hooking even though the wide teeth look OK and the ring generally makes its presence known

also ime the bigger n/ws last longer than the smaller ones

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I started dropping chains when my RaceFace N/W was worn.

Fitted a top guide which stopped the problem but I quickly realised that I was treating the symptoms, rather than the cause.
    Upon inspection, the narrow teeth had worn dangerously thin. I suspect I could have almost snapped them off by hand if I’d tried.

colournoise

scaled – Member
    Mine (SRAM) sounds like i’m stirring gravel with a spanner at the moment as soon as i’m at either end of the cassette, it’s horrible

rocketman – Member
    ime the narrow teeth start hooking even though the wide teeth look OK and the ring generally makes its presence known

Sounds exactly like what I’ve been experiencing.

Opinions on whether I should take a punt on another Superstar ring (think they’re down to 15 quid at the minute?), or shell out a bit more for something else?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have had/got 3x RF a Hope and an e13

They are all kind of expensive but for me at least the durability is acceptable. The e13 in particular feels very circular iykwim

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Works Components ones are cheap and running fine so far on two of my bikes

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Wolftooth make a stainless steel NW that’s supposed to be a lot more durable than Alu ones. I’ve not tried it tho, my superstar one is still going strong

Northwind

Works last a lot better than superstar, they’re about a fiver more, total bargain tbh.

zero-cool
    Free Member

My Superstar N/W chain ring has been absolutely fine with a SRAM chain.

nairnster
    Free Member

Mine has been fine with a KMC

deadkenny
    Free Member

Dropping chain is the sign I’ve had. If anything, that’s the downside to them in that if you had a chain device it would go on for way longer, but the point of NW is to not need one. Well worth it though to keep a chain on without a noisy, mud clagging and chain suck/jam chain device.

p.s. Works Components I use on two bikes. Lasted two years on each, then got replaced. Aside from the dropping eventually, no issues at all and zero chain suck. KMC chains.

colournoise

Thanks all. Have ordered a replacement 32t from Works Components. Cheaper than Superstar as it happens.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Worn narrow/wide chainrings – what are the signs?’ is closed to new replies.