Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • world cup dh val di sole spoiler…
  • slowrider
    Free Member

didnt see the coverage myself due to being at work but well done slugger!

from what i can gather he won fair and square which is no meant feat at this level!

its easy to write of marc beaumont as a contender against such class competition but he clearly still has it

xc-steve
    Free Member

no offence to the guy and indeed at a national level he's very good but 'still got it' when did he ever have it to start with? Having said that his run was very inspiring no mistakes and flat out bet he'll have a headache in the morning!

slowrider
    Free Member

consistent top 20 at WC level definitely 'has it' in my book.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Marc's been up there for years XC Steve. Its not like he's come out of nowhere.

Plus – if you accept that on a national level he is 'very good' then surely, by virtue of the fact that there are a host of UK riders within the world top 20, this makes him pretty good on a global level no?

Richie

nickegg
    Free Member

6 out of the top ten where Brits today!

Plus Beaumont had a 1st in Vigo 2007……

Brycey
    Free Member

Result of the day has to be Lewis Buchanan in 16th, got to be on the podium over the next few years. Good result from Beaumont but he's surely "B-list" at best?

biscuit
    Free Member

haha xc steve, maybe your name suggests where your knowledge lies! Marc Beaumont is consistently up there in the results in the world cup, if that doesn't mean he 'has it', then what does?

And Brycey, seriously, WTF are you on about? Often big names out of the top 10/20. Maybe beaumont doesn't get the publicity of the other big names, but correct me if im wrong, but 12th overall 2009 and 16th overall 2008 is not too shabby. I havent looked further back than that atm.

Fair play Beaumont! Good result fella

Brycey
    Free Member

12th and 16th isn't the top is it? It's "good" and he is consistently "good", but he rarely troubles those that are "great" or close. He's not a Hill/Peat/Minnar/Atherton/Blenkinsop etc, etc and never will be by the looks of things. There's a whole generation of younger (British) riders that are already beating him and others, and will only improve over the next few seasons.

Good on him winning VDS though.

tails
    Free Member

Christ what has a guy got to do to be world class!! Top 20 is superfast

Edric64
    Free Member

Its a niche sport though and not many do it now top 10 in a mainstream sport would impress as more people take part.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

but he rarely troubles those that are "great" or close. He's not a Hill/Peat/Minnar/Atherton/Blenkinsop etc, etc and never will be by the looks of things.

But where were the greats today?

Brycey
    Free Member

It's a fair point. Logically he was the best in the world today, and therefore "great". I'm not convinced though, his results don't match the length of time he's been about (IMO!).

Maybe he's a late starter and about to dominate.

backhander
    Free Member

Its a niche sport though and not many do it now

One of the staff at Whistler told me that they now get more downhill MTB visitors than it does skiers. Top 20 in the world is extremely impressive IMHO. Well done Marc, none of the younger generation were fast enough today!

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Well I guess it all depends on what you class as being a great rider then.
    For me, as a mediocre racer, any of the many guys who race WCs are bloody good. Someone who can, and does, consistenly finish in the top 30 are great and anyone who has ever won even just a single WC is bloody amazing.

I struggle to see how anyone finishing top 20 on the world cup circuit, ie – less than 20 people are better than them in the WORLD, can be considered B-list.

nonk
    Free Member

brycey your post shows us that you have been nowhere and done nothing.
    if you had you would know just how hard that level is.

Brycey
    Free Member

I can't comprehend how any of the pros (and decent National guys) are so fast, and maybe "B List at best" was harsh. I don't think MB's in the same class as those I've already mentioned though, but it's my opinion only, and his result today obviously flies in the face of it.

Nonk – not sure if you mean on a bike or in life, either way it's fairly patronising.

nonk
    Free Member

its a judgement of you that may have been harsh chap but hey you seem ok with dishing it out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why do you have to even bother to say something negative about the guy though? It's not like anyone had said he was a "great" or whatever.

Imagine what it must be like to finish that course and find out you've just knocked Greg Minaar off the hotseat! And then Fairclough, Blenkinsop, Gee etc fail to beat you.

Can't we just be pleased that (another) Brit has won a World Cup round?

So many Brits are racing this year – are we the most heavily-represented nation?

duir
    Free Member

12th and 16th isn't the top is it?

That made me laugh. Do you have the slightest idea how much a guy like Beaumont puts into this sport or how much talent, fitness and guts that win today must have taken? To compete at that level on that course is super human. He has like a lot of Brits been doing better and better lately and it's great for the sport.

If you qualified for the women's final you could consider yourself s**t hot let alone win the men's.

I admired Mr Beaumonts riding and achievements today.

biscuit
    Free Member

what about Bryceland?, Kovarik?, Fairclough?

would you consider them b listers as well? Looking at their overall results in the last 2 years Beaumont beat the first two and was only a few places behind Fairclough?

As previously said, why the need to even say anything negative.

Did i mention he also place 6th overall in 2007.

Actually you're right, he's definitely not up there with the top players 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘world cup dh val di sole spoiler…’ is closed to new replies.