Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Workstand – why didn't someone tell me before?
  • honourablegeorge

Just used my xmas present – a Park workstand – while installing an air volume spacer on my rear shock.

Never known such an easy, pleasurable maintenance job. Why didn’t I buy a workstand ten years ago? It’s SO much easier.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Woah how can you have used your Xmas pressie when santa hasn’t been yet?!?!?!

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m with Mosey, what makes you so special that santa came early?

(workstands are great aren’t they!)

honourablegeorge

It was a gift from my sister that arrived early. She’s not home for Xmas, and the massive “PARK TOOL PCS-9” on the box rather gave away the surprise. I couldn’t resist. They’re great. I can’t believe I wasted all that time and effort and back pain without one.

The air volume spacer thing is a dead easy one too. Curious to see the difference it makes.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Workstands are one of those ‘once you’ve used it once you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it’ products. The next thing to get is a Park magnetic bowl. That’s another life line product!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

You should have resisted! Now you will be on the naughty list and when you wake up Christmas morning it will have turned to coal!!!!!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

+1… I have 2, a Park Tool one for fettling, and one of those that holds the bike under the BB and downtube for washing duties. Couldn’t manage without either!

honourablegeorge

geetee1972 – Member
    Workstands are one of those ‘once you’ve used it once you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it’ products. The next thing to get is a Park magnetic bowl. That’s another life line product!

Yeah, I have a magnetic bowl I picked up for two quid in a hardware shop, it’s a great wee thing.

The tart in me wants a Park weighing scales to hang off it now.

stumpy01

Yep, workstands are great.

Got a cheap one years ago & for the small amount of maintenance I do, it’s perfect.

Similar thing to the dirtworker to be honest. Seemed like a massive outlay on a somewhat dubious biking accessory until I used it and put my bike into the car clean & freshly lubed ready for the next ride. It was a revelation!

headpotdog
    Free Member

I’m a massive workstand fan too and had similar epiphany when I got mine earlier this year too.

Be warned though if you’ve got an ounce of OCD in your body, it can make you obsessive about the setup & cleanliness of your bike.

Now where did I leave those cotton buds….???

geetee1972
    Free Member

I have those. Once you have them you start wanting to weigh everything, down to the last nut and bolt. It ends up being an obsession, or maybe that’s just me!

Sad git that I am, I have a spreadsheet with the weight of every single component on my bike. I know exactly where it all is, where I can and can’t save weight etc.

I don’t get out much though….

honourablegeorge

geetee1972 – Member
    I have those. Once you have them you start wanting to weigh everything, down to the last nut and bolt. It ends up being an obsession, or maybe that’s just me!

Sad git that I am, I have a spreadsheet with the weight of every single component on my bike. I know exactly where it all is, where I can and can’t save weight etc.

I don’t get out much though…

You sound like a righteous and well adjusted sort to me.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Anyone got the edingburgh bike co-op one? It’s on half price now and I really need one.

kaesae
    Free Member

I have a pcs10 and recently got a prs3 off ebay, the stand needed some work to the clamp, however it’s a great piece of kit, weighs 45 kilos but is very stable 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

mosey, MC got me the edinburgh one for Xmas a couple of years ago (the price seems to vary markedly) and I rate it (as did a mag review). Main thing for me is its collapsible as garage space is a premium, and to get a collapsible Park costs about twice as much.

Seen the revolution for sale from a variety of vendors, including on ebay, and there’s a few threads on here reviewing/discussing them if you can find em with the search tool.

Its flimsier/flexier than a Park, but copes fine with a 35lb bike and nothing has come close to breaking/bending etc.

Got the magnetic tray too, which is cool (got holes to hold screwdrivers, allen keys etc in it too).

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ah brilliant I’ll give it a go then. Has to be better than propping the bike up on a chair to fiddle with gears.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah they’re all good. The stand is very solid (and if it’s the one I’m thinking of) it folds away for transport which is a cool feature if you ever go on road trips / to races. The clamp isn’t brilliant to use but it works fine. Get one!

tazzymtb

that was my secret shame for years, then you start working out pivot tables with cost per item for weight saving replacements to enable the best use of £ per Lb reduction.

then I realised that my fat arse was the biggest issue, and seeing as a diet is too much like hard work I just got an orange 5 and gave up

Kryton57

honourablegeorge – Member
    It was a gift from my sister that arrived early. She’s not home for Xmas, and the massive “PARK TOOL PCS-9” on the box rather gave away the surprise. I couldn’t resist. They’re great. I can’t believe I wasted all that time and effort and back pain without one.

Anyone else feel rather agrieved if there sister couldnt be bothered to wrap it up?

Its possible a picture of your sister posted here would allows us to forgive her 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

tazzy, I went through a mammoth inner tube patching session, and whilst I did it I weighed every one and wrote the weight in biro next to the valve. Seemed a free way to manage/lose weight, as they range from 300grm DH-esque to 100grm flyweights (which Munqe Chick uses without issue).

And I was mocked by my peers…. 🙄 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

Damn you all!!

Just when I thought there wasn’t anything left to buy….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I could do with one too, just keep having to go round to a mates to use his. Not so bad though, as I get free beer.

IHN

I have a spreadsheet with the weight of every single component on my bike. I know exactly where it all is, where I can and can’t save weight etc.

Gregory, there is a whole world out there mate, just open the door and see… 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

the trick is to buy a workstand then keep it at a friends house, that way you’ve always got a reason to go round your friends house and drink their tea/beer/women.

br
    Free Member

+1 for Park stand and scales

Did you want me to go take a picture of my matching ‘pair’?

Recommend the Park 9 – find the clamp easy plus as its a ‘wind-in’ it adjusts to any diameter.

Tracey

Wouldnt be without mine

You need one of these next

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Workstand – why didn't someone tell me before?’ is closed to new replies.