Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Workshop tools (shop not home)… Arbor Press… How useful?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Had a few jobs recently that I’ve thought an Arbor Press might be a worthwhile investment. Trouble is, to be honest, I wouldn’t know what to look for. Mainly for pushing bearings in and out of hubs and linkages. It’s one of those tools that when used, would likely save 10mins of faffing each time it was used, but would probably get used maybe once or twice a week, so I’m not after something capable of constant abuse day in day out. Also it would need to be small enough to fit in an already crowded workshop.

What should I be looking at?

bencooper
    Free Member

Flypresses are more fun. For that kind of thing, though, I just use a vice with a bunch of inserts – never felt the need for an arbor press.

A problem with an arbor press is that it sits flat to the bench – doing linkage or rear triangle bearings would be tricky.

Dunk10
    Free Member

I have always used the wheels manufacturing bearing press tool. no messing about and does the job perfectly every time. other than that have used a vice with blanks and works perfectly well if your not a hack.

benpinnick

^ What Dunk10 said. Also has a natty wooden plinth. More tools need wooden plinths I say 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I like the wheels hand press to. Works very well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Workshop tools (shop not home)… Arbor Press… How useful?’ is closed to new replies.