Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Working in poor light – stupid new light bulb question
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The light bulb in my home office went pop a couple of days ago and have replaced it with a 100W 'equivalent' new improved energy efficient light bulb.

Since doing this I have notice my eyes getting far more tired towards the end of the evening. It feels like working in 40w dimness.

Now I know these improved light bulbs are worse then the old fashioned ones both in terms of brightness and light tone but am I actually going to be damaging my eyes trying to read and type in the half light they produce?

Anyone managed to create home made lights for lighting a room like we used to in the olden days. Any idea how long before the next generation of light bulbs come along and actually improve things?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Try some daylight bulbs / tubes – artists use em…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure there was a lengthy discussion about rubbish energy saving light bulbs the other day.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Try some daylight bulbs / tubes – artists use em…

I worked in an office where they installed those things. I couldn't see the monitor they were so bright.

Olly
    Free Member

its because they strobe (this is my opinon by the way)

they dont glow, they flash very fast.

get a incandescent desk lamp (40w say) closer to the work and youll feel much better)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I know there was a thread about the bulbs and perhaps my minor rant about them hid the main question.

Is working with them ruining my eye site permanently or is it just making my eyes tired more quickly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They flash way too fast for you to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t88cY2Wy4xQ

Sonor
    Free Member

Since doing this I have notice my eyes getting far more tired towards the end of the evening. It feels like working in 40w dimness.

You've probably got a warm white bulb. It should have 827 written on it or the box it came out of. Standard white is what you're after, they'll have 835 written on them. Daylight fluorescents would be too bright.

Is working with them ruining my eye site permanently or is it just making my eyes tired more quickly.

What you may find is if the general lighting in the room is poor, you're eyes will strain ,made more so if you are looking at a PC monitor…you need a reasonable light to counter balance the monitor.

And incidently compact fluorescents are high frequency which means they don't flicker unlike the old switch-start fluorescents.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will look for a 835 then. Let me guess, they are more expensive.

Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

And, as a side note, you can't damage your eyes looking in the dark any more than you can damage your camera taking photos in the dark. You can tire them out a bit if you are struggling to focus on something, but that would suggest that you're either in AWFUL light (torchlight) or you already have eye problems, but it wont cause permanent damage.

Sonor
    Free Member

I will look for a 835 then. Let me guess, they are more expensive.

I don't think they are. This is something that gets my goat, yes energy saving bulbs are more expensive, but here's the rub: they last a hell of a lot longer, start thinking long term and buy quality bulbs.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not fussed too much about the cost but Sainsburys have been doing 40w equivalents for 99p. I bet there won't be any of the ones I want at 99p, they will all be the £4-£6 ones

Free Member

Seconded, 'daylight' bulbs (a whiter, more natural colour temperature is what you're after)

Less 'big lights' and smaller lights where you need them would also help significantly.

hope this helps!
    jt 😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

When I was a lad I was pissed off with my mum giving me grief for reading in bed (lights out as I should have been asleep) by the light coming up the stairs "you are ruining your eyesight" she said.
    So I asked the optician next time we were there, in front of my mum (was a cocky little lad and wanted to be proved right in front of her) and he said that it would make no difference to my eyesight at all.
    I working in dimmer light would not physically damage your eyes, according to 25 year old "optician science" anyway.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tracker – It wasn't the READING that would make you blind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Working in poor light – stupid new light bulb question’ is closed to new replies.