Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Working in a shop – any tips or advice
  • Flaperon

I have a trial week starting on Wednesday working in a shop. First time I've been selling directly to the public, does anyone who's working in shops or employed sales people have any specific tips?

nonk
    Free Member

bike shop?

jam-bo

Smile.

nicks
    Free Member

Be Keen

project
    Free Member

Wait until a customer shows some intrest in something,and when theyre bending over to read the spec sheet that is printed so small,shout loudly in their ear,CAN I HELP YOU, guaranteed to get a responce, or it did in Currys the other day,from me.

akira

Listen to the customer, tailor the advice you give to the customers level of understanding, no point baffling someone with science. Smile, engage and demonstrate, if someone has something in their hands they are far more likely to buy it.

nonk
    Free Member

dont do half a job then wander off and forget about it 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Open questions – Ones which illicit an answer that isn't just yes or no. So, for example, not "What do you want?" but "What do you want it for?", or "What do you want to do with it?"
    Listen
    Repeat back to the customer the sense of what they have said to show you understand
    Offer the customer what they have asked for
    Be honest
    If you do not have the best product to meet what the customer needs, offer them honest advice about where they can get it

Did I mention honesty?

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Don't stalk people around the shop, it freaks them out. Regard children as thieves, but don't let them know it. NEVER let them out of your sight!! Same goes for CHAVs. If you want to try to see if someone wants any help, pretend to do some merchandising near by. Good luck 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Try not to show your amazement that people can be so ignorant/stupid and still maintain autonomous cardio-vascular function.Oh and call everyone "sir" (women and children included)-they love that sh1t.

twosheds
    Free Member

I had a great pervy time, in my yoof selling walking boots. Lots of down blouse action.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

twosheds, can I ask where you were selling boots?

crispybacon
    Free Member

twosheds, can I ask where you were selling boots?

project
    Free Member

akira – Member
    Listen to the customer, tailor the advice you give to the customers level of understanding, no point baffling someone with science. Smile, engage and demonstrate, if someone has something in their hands they are far more likely to buy it.

Thanks but i really didnt need the glow inthe dark vibrator you sold me.

Bunnyhop

Smile.
    Seriously though, look out for shoplifters. There are more out there than ever. They are really clever.
    Get to know regulars and remember their names etc.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

You need to master the teapot stance and lean on the counter, as well as how to slurp a hot full cup of tea on the move. Give it a bit of the FAB (features, advantages and benefits) let the customer handle the products and be genuine , no body likes a slimey sales mister.

By the way retail is shit and i hope never to return

akira

Project- Sorry we didn't have the XXL you wanted but let me know how you get on.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Working in a shop – any tips or advice’ is closed to new replies.