Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Working for Royal Mail
  • tails
    Free Member

Hello Postierich and others I may be losing my job at the end of the month and was thinking about becoming a postman, as I fancy a change from the office environment which is a bit dull. I have read the careers page and feel it is something I could do. Just wondering about any extra information and what is the pay like if you don’t mind me asking. My email is ands43@hotmail.com regards 😀

fotorat
    Free Member

yeah and as postie it must great for nicking Wheelie boxes and flogging the contents on Ebay!

I would love it – but cant get up that early!

Hang on is Rich a Postie?

I thought it meant Postier Ich – like having ichy piles?

tails
    Free Member

😆

postierich
    Free Member

You will be very lucky to get a fulltime job these days as they only give out part time contracts,mostly 5 hr days but there is always the chance to do overtime.
    Moneys not fantastic but its not rocket science,looking @ 8am starts for part timers, jobs ok if you work in a nice town/area but jobs are picked by seniority so you will end up with the gash ones.
    I like the job as it fits in with my other halfs job and nursery kick out times,you will get plenty of miles in on the bike but it will be like riding an anvil!!!

Good luck

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I would love it – but cant get up that early

You forgot to mention that you’re also probably too fat to fit through a fair few garden gates.

tails
    Free Member

thanks for the replies 🙂

ziggy
    Free Member

yeah and as postie it must great for nicking Wheelie boxes and flogging the contents on Ebay!

Only funny because it’s true 😆

I reckon it would be much more lucrative using blackmail as a sideline, I’d accept cash in return for not letting all the neighbours know you get a weekly delivery of octopus pron, or the fact your test results from the sexual health clinic were positive.

Mind you no one, not even Mark Cavendish, can ride a Pashley as fast as a 40 yr old with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

postierich
    Free Member

Mind you no one, not even Mark Cavendish, can ride a Pashley as fast as a 40 yr old with a fag hanging out of his mouth.
    I dont smoke! 😉

Chase
    Free Member

Nobody likes getting out of bed early but my theory is that you have to do it so get it done early and get home early. I get up at 5.40. Bed usually no later than 10pm.
    I do a walking round rather than bike or van. Don’t be under the impression it’s an easy job – it’s not. Stress free – yes, but it’s bloody hard work some days.
    Like Rich says, the biggest problem you may face is getting full time employment. As full timers leave they are been replaced with part time staff. Years ago you would have probably got a full time post within 12-18 months. You’d be lucky now if you ever got a full time post at all.
    I gave up a carrer in architecture and project management to become a postman, 12 years ago now, and I don’t regret it one bit.

Oh, and you will always get snide jokes about nicking stuff – it’s best to shrug it off and let them have their moment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Job interview questions –
    “Can you drop red rubber bands?”
    “Are you incapable of closing a gate?”

roper
    Free Member

My local MP put a stop to the rubber bands problem.
    He said they were blocking the filter on his moat.

postierich
    Free Member

Very funny roper!

coffeeking
    Free Member

The rubber bands are bloody annoying.

neilb67
    Free Member

Rich has a secret stash up the chase somewhere, where hes making a giant ball of rubber bands. I think me and Dave caught him Sunday morning heading to his “secret place”..

ski
    Free Member

postierich, do the post office service their own bikes still?

Is that a job description in itself? or do they source from regular postal staff?

oldfart

right then time to put a few things straight.Early starts ? not anymore .in a few weeks time we are moving to 7 o clock starts.That means 3 pm finish.So for me in the summer my swim in the local outdoor pool won’t happen as the kids will be there by then .In the winter when it gets dark by 4 o clock the bike riding will be gone.Oh and don’t think you will be riding a bike.We are starting shared van deliveries and ALL our bikes will be taken away Progress eh?You would think with mechanisation and supposedly lower mail volumes we would be able to deliver earlier not later ffs.As for overtime if thats your thing dream on.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

IIRC the bikes are serviced by the same dept. as the vans and all other moving things (trolleys etc). They also ‘own’ about 5 times as many bikes as there are bicycle rounds. They don’t seem to know where these bikes are but i’m guessing posties sheds.

My personal opinion (as someone who is party to a lot of RM info from the outside) is that it would be unwise to join a company that is in the process of massive change (and possibly privatisation) until competition has settled down (maybe 5 years). A postman’s job is likely to be a very different thing in 5 years time.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Other interview questions.

Can you fold items marked “do not fold”?

Can you operate a doorbell / door knocker to obtain a signature for something that needs signing for?

Can you drop-kick items marked “fragile / glass” ?

richc
    Free Member

unless you are an auditor I guess, then you will just need to get used to the taste of piss spiked tea.

postierich
    Free Member

Ski there are bike mechanics depending on the size of the office/bikes.I fix,destroy my offices bikes along with another person you get paid a fixed amount each week £68 to tinkle :D.
    Not heard about losing the bikes yet but the majority of my office use their own cars 🙄
    Been mutterings over later starts 10am and doing collections on the end so people will be getting their mail around 3pm.
    Not the job I orginally started on 12 years ago but thats change for you.

Mike all the bikes have been sent to Africa I,ve sent at least 20

How are the forks progressing 😳

uplink
    Free Member

Another interview question …….

Can you simultaneously ring the bell, knock at the door & fill out a ‘you weren’t in’ card?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

forks are about to go off to a competent person 😉

richc
    Free Member

just to stand up for my postie, she is excellent, doesn’t drop red bands (no need all the kids ask her for them) and is helpful and cheerful.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Working for Royal Mail’ is closed to new replies.