Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • working as a teacher & attending funerals
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

what happens there then ? – whats your areas policy

relitive in question is a grandparent

i find it crazy that my work flys me across the world to attend my grans at a cost of thousands and my missus cant get a day off to attend a funeral without turning on the waterworks and kicking up a fuss !

druidh
    Free Member

For heavens sake, your wife is a teacher and gets loads of holidays already. Could she not have arranged for her grandparent to die at a more convenient time?

bruneep

school not shut cause of the snow?

midlifecrashes

Didn’t think it was an area thing, was down to discretion of head.

hh45
    Free Member

Why don’t schools employ temps / floaters to cover for staff sickness and leave? Its not going to work for some subjects but surely the current situation is worse.

Junkyard
    Free Member

sicky emotional stress take a week that will teach em.

trail_rat
    Free Member

unfortunantly not bruce – she had most of last week off for snow – im due home next week and my van is stuck at the house with no hope of getting it out …

snows ripped all the guttering off etc

trail_rat
    Free Member

should i get the aa out ?

druidh
    Free Member

Tell her to take the class along as part of the RME curriculum?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why don’t schools employ temps / floaters to cover for staff sickness and leave?

Aren’t they called ‘supply teachers’ ?

Dickyboy

Part of the deal of being a teacher I’m afraid, pretty damn hard to take time off during school time unless close relative concerned & as it’s your gran rather than hers….

trail_rat
    Free Member

its her grandad – my grans was 3 weeks ago …

sweepy
    Free Member

should i get the aa out ?

I get the impression youre in Scotland, if youre not too far from Aviemore ive got some chains and a shovel that might help.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I simply wouldn’t give them the option of not giving me time off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lol i have chains and a shovel and some old carpet – when i get back to the uk i intend to dig it out and leave it up at the road – maybe – might just leave it stuck and use the fat bike ! – that photo alone is a good excuse not to go to the office !

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

My girlfriend (NHS employee) had to take annual leave to attend her grandad’s funeral earlier this year. My boss (cooncil) gave me the day off so I could go. Didn’t have to take leave. Showed a fundamental difference in attitude and I don’t think the GF will ever have much respect for her boss as a result.

GJP
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

+1, I would bet all my bikes that if it was the Head Teacher’s grandparent that had died then he/she would take the day as special leave without a single moments thought. What is good for the goose etc.

Echoing the experiences of trail_rat when living and working in NYC my father had a cardiac arrest. I think I got the phone call at 4-20pm local time – I was on the 6:30pm flight from JFK to MAN.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In the NHS you are entitled to special leave for imnnmediate family – parent / sibling / child. For others is discreti

firestarter
    Free Member

Work told me my grandfather wasn’t a close relative when he died so I couldn’t have the shift off.

That said I took two days off as special leave to look after the kids when my Mrs appendix burst after child birth , they were refused and taken off my next years entitlement and I had a written warning 😉 nice

sweepy
    Free Member

Right enough, when my Dad died I just said ‘Im going, i’ll sort out the details when I get back’ Didn’t give them the option of complaining, and no one mentioned using annual leave when I returned.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Work told me my grandfather wasn’t a close relative when he died

That really is absurd. Who doesn’t go to their grandparents funerals because they don’t consider them to be close relatives ? Everyone goes to their grandparents funerals. And any employer who has a problem with that must have gone to the Ebenezer Scrooge school of industrial relations.

br
    Free Member

The thing is that there are some staff who when they ask for something, you just say ‘yes’, and others… But you must have consistancy, especially if you’ve many staff and low grades/pay.

My rule was always to think, what if it was me – and go from there.

And tbh most of the people who’ve worked for me would automatically put in a holiday request for anything like that, and then I’d usually ‘file’ them and just ask them to make up the time.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

When my dad died they ordered me a taxi to take me home and told me to take as much paid leave as i needed. That is how companies should treat people that work for them.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

And walk straight into a disciplinary on your return. Teh rules are clear. Grandparent is discretionary leave.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Some things are worth getting a disciplinary for and sometimes the rules are stupid and inhumane.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Take some sick leave?

I was told by 2 teachers this very evening they can have up to 26 weeks sick leave a year.

poly
    Free Member

firestarter – Member
    That said I took two days off as special leave to look after the kids when my Mrs appendix burst after child birth , they were refused and taken off my next years entitlement and I had a written warning nice

Presumably that wasn’t recently? You have a legal entitlement to time off to care for dependants (unpaid) in precisely this sort of situation.

As for the OP – I think the question is really can she justify it (in her mind) to the parents (or pupils) who’s education is disrupted? I think most people would accept a grandparent – but I don’t see anything wrong with the head needing convinced it was important to her.

Ambrose

Is it because you/ we have four grandparents, thus a lot of (paid?) leave could be needed?

grumm
    Free Member

i find it crazy that my work flys me across the world to attend my grans at a cost of thousands

I agree.

daveob
    Free Member

I’ve had to miss an aunts funeral because she died at the wrong time of year, but for a grandparent any school should be willing for one day at least. If not you can self certify for up to three days, “I can’t cope…” should suffice.

spooky_b329

I was told by 2 teachers this very evening they can have up to 26 weeks sick leave a year.

Or more likely, they get 6 months paid sick leave before seeing their pay cut?! You still have to justify the absence, if I have two absences (even just a day each) within a couple of months, I am hauled up and put on a monitoring system, don’t know what its called as they change its name every 3 months! However, luckily my boss is very good and I’ve not needed to take any sick leave for the last 4 years or so. (I’m not a teacher)

lagerfanny
    Free Member

When my missus was rushed into hospital with emergency pancreatitis, I asked my boss if I could bring forward my already booked fortnight holiday by two weeks to look after our daughter etc.
    She answered simply with a one word reply of ‘No’
    In the end I had to take unpaid leave up to my due holiday.
    edit<I’m not a teacher but thought I’d just show the kind of people who ‘manage’>

ebygomm
    Free Member

My work doesn’t count grandparents as close family either.

I think not giving paid leave is ok, but you should be able to get the time off whether through annual leave/unpaid leave etc.

duckman

Terry; I have never heard of a headie who would refuse that request,may be she has to log more development hours,but hey-ho.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d ask for it off/ book it as leave and i’d be attending.

if they refused the leave i’d tell them i’d still be there and i’d deal with the fallout later.

really sad if some people (managers) really think that that sort of thing is on.

I’m lucky enough to never have worked somewhere where a compassionate leave/ short term request for funerals would be an issue.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve had time off for a friends funeral, had to get it passed by the head, walked in she said was he a close friend, I burst into tears, dont think I ever answered the question and I was going anyone no matter what they said.
    I’m sure your wife can take it unpaid.

oxym0r0n

I’ve had time for a close friend – discretionary as already mentioned, but a good head should surely use their discretion for a grandparent?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Can’t she just pull a sicky like most teachers do on a daily basis? or better still go off for 2 weeks with emotional stress? Isn’t it written in every teachers contract that they must have at least 4 weeks sick leave per year?

🙂

rjj
    Free Member

I.m a teacher and have had a few family issues this year – miscarriage, wife ill through pregnancy, child having an operation, and a new baby and my head has been brilliant – no questions asked just given me time off. Done the same for others as well. This is one of the reasons that I am staying put, and don’t mind putting extra effort in, despite quite a heavy workload – makes all the difference knowing that if I need family time then I can have it. Its how the world should be.

oxym0r0n

Can’t she just pull a sicky like most teachers do on a daily basis? or better still go off for 2 weeks with emotional stress? Isn’t it written in every teachers contract that they must have at least 4 weeks sick leave per year?

That’s why I was back at work on Monday, in Somerset, after a general and 10 stitches in my knee in Bangor hospital after a crash at Cwm Carn on the Sunday 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘working as a teacher & attending funerals’ is closed to new replies.