Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Work Lunch – Commuting by Bike
  • bfreeman0
    Free Member

Starting hopefully next week I shall be commuting part of my way to work by bike.

I tend to get quite hungry around this time of day, and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for what I should pack for a filling, healthy and tasty lunch?

I have access to a microwave at work if that helps?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Beans on toast works for me 🙂

binners

binners

mark88

Pasta or potato for lunch. Keep some cereal bars in desk to have before setting off.

woody2000

binners

&

&

simondbarnes

Couscous, bit of chicken stock, chorizo, peppers, tomato, onions. Chuck in a microwave for a bit in a covered bowl.

tonyd

Eat what you’d usually eat for lunch. For snacks I have a bag of apples, a bag of oranges, and a carton of grapes on my desk which should last me til Friday at a push.

binners

&

&

Gary_M
    Free Member

How far are you riding?

I usually have a sandwich around 11:30 then pasta/rice/cous cous with chorizo/tuna/mackerel and usually some beans/pulses around 2:30. I don’t have a huge amount and I do 20 miles each way.

binners

&

ads678

Lol @ binners

bfreeman0
    Free Member

Thank you for all your ideas. I’ll only be riding 6 miles each way but that may increase as I bring my fitness back up.

@binners
    you have some mighty fine ideas. Doesn’t help I’m hungry now.

aP
    Free Member

6 miles each way? Surely that doesn’t need extra food, its about 30 minutes riding. I used to do 20 miles each way, I used to buy a croissant in the shop next door then just have a sandwich for lunch, maybe something late afternoon for the journey home.

bfreeman0
    Free Member

I know it’s not much but I haven’t been on a bike in years. Plus what I’m eating now is barely ticking me over until tea.

pondo

Tell you what I experimented with, that worked last year – just a massive tuppaware box of fresh salad, pepper, mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, sweetcorn, peas, some nuts, some seeds, drizzle a bit of olive oil, whatever takes your fancy. I’d mix in a tin of mackeral or tuna or salmon, or cube up a load of cheese and wack that in, or a couple of hard-boiled eggs. That and a piece of fruit and/or some healthy cereal bar and you’re good to go. I’m starting a job with a 12 mile commute next week, so really looking forward to clocking some regular miles and eating healthy again. Enjoy! 🙂

bfreeman0
    Free Member

@pondo sounds so simple and cheap to make. Also very healthy. Will you be making one any time soon, if you are a pic would be great. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Work Lunch – Commuting by Bike’ is closed to new replies.