Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Work from home? If so what do you do?
  • ourmaninthenorth

Live in Lancashire. Work in a team based in London. When not in London, then am either in one of the NW offices or at home. I try to make sure Fridays are WFH day.

Employer is very sensible about this sort of thing, but am senior enough to be trusted.

EDIT: it does depend partly on personality and role. If you’re an introvert and work best alone, it will be good. Often the role one is on suits certain personality types – I’m an extrovert, so need to think out loud and work best with others. My role works well with that.

Don’t assume there aren’t the same or similar FS sector roles in the North. Concentrations will be around Leeds and Chester.

Sundayjumper

…listening to Planet Rock…

I would also recommend TeamRock if you fancy something a little harder.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Business Development. One third time home-working; One third out with clients; One third in office with managers and delivery team.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Interesting stuff. I could work from home but generally don’t. I just don’t really like being stuck at home all day, and my commute isn’t particularly onerous.

Also I have some colleagues who work from home a lot, and IME it doesn’t make for a great team. Other channels of communication are no replacement for somebody being physically a few feet away.

DezB
    Free Member

Shit. Nerd here too. (I just read that Lync registry key, with interest. Hence the swearword).

brassneck

I prefer Geek to nerd. Setting the idle timeout is fine till someone actually tries to talk to you.. mobile client ftw.

So clearly the key is to have a decent boss.

x1000. As long as I get those boxes ticked, he isn’t concerned about how or where I tick’em. Work from home Tuesdays so I can cover school pickup, work solidly 9-3:15, then do a couple of hours later in the evening. More or less a one man band in my role (architecture, innovation) so as long as I show my face for a reasonable part of the week it’s all good.

EDIT: it does depend partly on personality and role. If you’re an introvert and work best alone, it will be good. Often the role one is on suits certain personality types – I’m an extrovert, so need to think out loud and work best with others. My role works well with that.

Good point that. I’m probably biased opposite, so being alone at home and focussed (apart from STW natch) works for me.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m a stay at home geek.

edward2000
    Free Member

OP, get a sales job covering an area patch. I did. I work from home now, no more balls of a commute, no office politics (expect for when I argue with myself). I did a nice 45 min run this morning as i’ve got a lot more free time on my hands. Im out the office though 3/4 days a week visiting clients.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not clever enough to be a geek.

Smudger666

I’m the ‘our man in Scotland’ for the company I work for. Head office is near Melton so makes sense to work from home. It’s a technical sales position so I’m out of the home office 3/5 of the week.

Works for me – just have to make sure the patch performs and the boss leaves me to get on with it.

Freester

I don’t work from home but my mate does.

He seems to pop up on Strava quite regularly – a run or quick blat on the bike around 10AM.

Quite often his Mrs will check him in on Facebook at lunchtime at whatever eating establishment they are at.

Nice work if you can get it.

xiphon
    Free Member

I work from home, and just bagged a new job working from home too.

Don’t think I’ll ever work in an office again, given the choice!

I have gone 5 days straight working from no less than 10 different coffee shops. One in the morning, one in the afternoon. And I cycled to them – bonus!

What do I do? IT ‘stuff’ #DevOps (AWS platform)

EDIT: Interestingly, my new employers are all 100% WFH. We don’t have an office per se.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bring Nerds/Ops/Strategic Change into Workstreams then Programme Manage the underlying Projects until successful conclusion (Finance/Banking/Investments) in EMEA.
    So I get to COnfCall/VidConf/TeleCon and actually meet folks. So 1/3rd of my time (I could push it to 1/2 but choose not to) can be WFH, for example this week I’m WFH and had 4 VidConf’s and a couple of calls already today, this is typical.
    It’s pressured WFH, you don’t get to see the sub meetings and adhoc meetings that go on in a work environment and because I’m a control freak I find this very hard to not be involved with (that’s why I choose to only WFH 1/3rd of the time) It’s also why I have a place Town, so I can be in the office most of the time.

Up points, well yes I get to ride more and if I get it all in place I get to ride from Home in Hampshire, get it wrong and I’m riding around That London (which isn’t inspiring anymore)
    Down points, you can get left out of chat, chat that can have influence on the Projects. You don’t build up much of a relationship with the Strategic Team, PMO’s are notorious for charging stuff all over the place when not guided (which so pisses me off) I miss the office structure, the noise and to some extent the banter. I like interacting with other Project Managers and Heads of… and WFH doesn’t give you that option.

I let PM”s that I control WFH, so too BA’s, I get CLevel calls from their home but most of them head into the office and that’s where I prefer to be.

2orangey4crows

Copywriter.
    I drink a lot of cups of tea.
    I fettle with my bikes to break things up a bit.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Computer programmer. WFH 4 days a week, 30 mile each way commute when i am in the office.
    Career stagnation is less of a problem for me than not having a job would.

kayla1
    Free Member

We work from home making bike parts, one-offs and projecty bits. It’s a financial struggle sometimes but the lack of commute (apart from the walk/cycle to the post office most days) more than makes up for the relative tightening of the purse strings. There’s more to life than working 5 days a week to line somebody else’s pockets!

edited to add- it’d kill me to have to go back to working/commuting again after four years of scratching along.

busydog
    Free Member

Headhunter/recruiter –do a lot of work globally, so working at home helps accommodate time differences worldwide.
    Have worked at home for the past 11 years and can’t imagine going back to an office setting. Does take a little discipline, but also allows a quick MTB ride as there is a trail that begins 300 yards from the front door.

xiphon
    Free Member

I walk the dog 3 times a day, and often ride during my lunch break.

What’s not to like?

😀

bainbrge

OP if you can’t get finance risk management work in the north (Manchester/Leeds) you must have 2 heads. Huge huge shortage of good people and loads of roles including new challenger banks etc. All the big 4 are desperately trying to get people, then you have all the financial services corporates. It’s a big sector and very active. Better hours and commutes than London too!

donks
    Free Member

Electrical engineer, work from home 3 days a week. 6 music is my station of choice. I love working from home these days but my office is in the cellar so can’t wait for the kids to leave home so I can bag the loft room.

redthunder
    Free Member

Artist

They all get shot up and through away 🙁 … But it’s an excuse to paint more 🙂

http://black2colour.com/arrows/

Old job Quantity Surveyor

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Work from home? If so what do you do?’ is closed to new replies.