Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Work experience/ career progression
  • alwillis

In a fairly small, niche industry, what’s the best way to get your skills in front of those who matter?

I’ve tried a few of the obvious- letters, LinkedIn connections/ messages, chatting to current customers about their connections etc, and my current employer certainly knows a few people, but it’s hard to push your boss to help you get a new job!

I would be happy to even volunteer/ do work experience at a higher level rather than quit the day job, but do people in the hivemind have any good tips as to how to get there??

If it helps I’m a 26 year old graduate not a 45 year old with 20 years in the working world!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Give it time?
    If your good then people will come to you, however in a small niche industry you can only progress in a couple of ways – industry grows/people move up creating space.
    Go out and do it on your own.
    Is there no progression at your current place? How long have you been there? Whats your skill gap to the next person up? Whats the average experience of the next level up?

alwillis

Maybe patience is the key!

Potential for progression where I am- but I’m not a fan of waiting for my boss to decide when and how!

In terms of skills gap, it seems to be an experience gap rather than qualifications, hence thinking of work experience type ideas

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Potential for progression where I am- but I’m not a fan of waiting for my boss to decide when and how!

That is life. How niche is what you do? You are really waiting for somebody to see that you are what they need but if you end up as a jump every couple of years for a small bump up then it can also work against you unless you are very very good at what you do.

Best thing to do is have a proper sit down with your boss and talk about the future, where is the business going? Where can you go within it, whats the timescales – why should they invest in you. Experience is just that it’s earned and learned if you have the skills and need the time then maybe that is what you need to concentrate on.

FuzzyWuzzy

Hard to say without more info on the role/industry but as above I think you need to sit down with your boss. Ask for more responsibilities in your current role (without additional pay) and try and agree some objectives then agree to another meeting in 6-12 month’s time to review progress and if you’ve met the objectives look into options for promotion etc.

Some jobs (especially without moving company) have very little scope for progression though and if it’s a niche industry I guess opportunities for moving company to a more senior role are few and far between as promoting from within is generally preferred.

Unfortunately it often comes down to luck and being in the right place at the right time. I know several people that made fairly substantial leaps forward in the career thanks to chance contacts/discussions or a role unexpectedly opening up. Even though they’d been self-starters and decent self-promoters they’d been stuck in a rut for a while and all but given up on making something happen.

legend
    Free Member

Unfortunately it often comes down to luck and being in the right place at the right time.

This. If it really is small/niche you could be looking at dead mans shoes, so you’re going to need a load of patience

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Work experience/ career progression’ is closed to new replies.