Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Work changing my job title and role.
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Right, so I work as a civil engineer, and I love my job. Now due to budget cuts, a person from my team has to movve to a new role, now nobody wants to do it because it will be rubbish and nothing like the one that I was taken on for and excepted. Whats worse is it looks like it's going to be me.

What rights do I have and what reasonable compensation can I ask for.

Also because it's an internal movement I havn't been given much time to think through it so I don't have time to go and get outside help

wwaswas

If you have a contract that specifies a job title and duties then they are in breach of that contract and if they move you to a different job you could claim constructive dismissal/breach of contract.

As always it's probably best to try negotiation before you start getting all 'legal' on them, though.

My approach would be to say 'Actually, no I don't want to move, thankyou, please find someone else' and see how hard they push/what they offer.

Dino
    Free Member

3 choices really
    1. As above ( tell them you don't want it call there bluff)
    2. Grin an and bear it ( whilst looking for new job)
    3. Redundancy of your current will follow if u don't accept,
    they will use the business need argument

glenncampbell

+1 for wwaswas. Confrontation may be required but it's better to push back gently first and see what they say. Best of luck to you Ian!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You need to read your contract carefully. I believe that if the responsibiliies are of a similar level, if not a similar nature, then they can request it quite reasonably.

Many contracts will specify that it is within the co's rights to move your place of work etc.

The breach of contract element largely comes if your responsibilites are greatly diminished or your asked to take a pay cut. Then you can claim constructive dismissal… similar to redundancy in payout.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if it is a genuine change of role and title and responisbilities it can only be done [generally] with either your consent or via a redeployment process. They cannot just make you do this [refusal to change roles may be classed as voluntarily making yourself redundant though if a fiar process is used]. It may be constructive dismissal depending on what they do – they can give you a lesser role but generally they cannot alter your pay as a result of this. Best to get a written explantion from them on this – do all conversations by e-mail – preferably NOT using the works server and keep copies. Send e-mails of your understanding of any conversation with them as well that is not recorded.
    Difficult to say without more details of your scenario as it depends on your terms and condition, employment law and company procedure
    E-mail if you want some OT advice – I am a union rep FWIW.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Right cheers guys, it's all a bit up in the air, I think they were expecting one of us to accept the new position, in terms of pay and benifits it is the same, however it is on a different career path to the one that I want to follow. They, for a change are not trying to shaft me, yet, but I just wanted some advice as to how I stand. I don't want the job, so that's what I'll say. It's a big company and would prefer to move to a different location rather then do this new role. The meeting is at three so I'll see what comes of it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Work changing my job title and role.’ is closed to new replies.