Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • work can be real crap sometimes
  • MrsMugsy
    Free Member

This morning I came to work on an ordinary day with ordinary thoughts about work.

As soon as I got here I got a call from a client and got insulted. Apparently we’re rubbish and our competitors are so much better and next time they won’t trust us. Great.

Then I’m reviewing a report from my engineer before it goes outside for technical review and it needs rewriting completely. If I don’t spend half a day redoing her work and send it for review like that then I’ll probably get insulted and humiliated by the technical reviewer. I’m the manager and therefore responsible and accountable for everything and everyone.

It sucks sometimes.

Do I EVER get a thank you or a well done by anyone ? huuumm nope, never.

when things go well, it’s perfectly normal and when they go badly I get shit from my directors.

Writing this, it sounds like a normal work situation. but sometimes it’s difficult to keep my chin up.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Wrong forum and dry your eyes, life is hard!

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind support

thepurist

You’ve got a job. Yeah it sucks sometimes, but it pays the bills. Chin up!

tracknicko
    Free Member

you get paid though right? suck it up sunshine.

at a time when people are struggling for pennies, you’re whining that you have to do your job, and no-one want to give you a hug for doing it.

hmm

MrGreedy

But on the upside, it’s only a matter of hours until a 3 day weekend*!

*Except if it isn’t, in which case sorry. And WTFU 😉

Conan257
    Free Member

Your section gets a bad review from your customer, and people in your section are doing shoddy work?

Sounds like the 2 are linked and if you’re the manager it’s your job to smack them back into shape!

Less bitching, more managing!

Manage manage MANAGE!

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Yes I’ve got a job and I very rarelly complain about it for that very reason. Because I’ve got a job, I earn money and it’s not the most rubbish job either.

However,

sometimes I feel completely depressed and inadequate and I’ve even considered going to the doc for it until I thought that it wasn’t the way to face difficulties. I’ve also scarylly understood why it drove my predecessor to death 😯

So again, no thanks for the ‘suck it up’ comments. that’s not supportive and everyone needs support at times.

SiB
    Free Member

Is everybody afraid to ask if its pmt time? I know I am

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Been there, Mrs M. It’s your professional attitude that gets you through, but it doesn’t get noticed. Or if it does, it’s used against you. Remember this when (if) the good times return. Chin up, weekend approaching…

And remember – first responders here are all keyboard warriors.

tracknicko
    Free Member

if you genunely need support and consider yourself to be on the verge of mental health problems then you need to get yourself off a mountainbike forum and go talk to someone properly.

genuine depression shouldn’t be talked about lightly, if you are serious then go and talk to someone about it. immediately.

in terms of resolution, i’d echo conran’s comments. if you are this person’s boss, and they are harming your section’s output, you need to nip it in the bud, or improve their training.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think the OPs feelings probably ocurrs to most of us at work at some point. Im not really in any sort of managerial position and I know I am appreciated in my current job. My last job of 9 years was crap and I used to get feelings of dread come sunday evening going back to work on the monday.
    Show a little empathy and pretend you care you hard hearted miseries.

Oh and ITS FRIDAY AND A 3 DAY WEEKEND. Time to ride bikes, do stuff and enjoy life, let work stay at work!

SiB
    Free Member

I support you Mrs G. My wife is in a similar position but in her case she’s the owner of the business and is always complaining about her staff and going over their work which results in less time for her to do the work she’s meant to be/got to be doing. Drives me mad cos if I was in her position they wouldnt be working for me (it actually seems sometimes that she is working for them). If it was up to me thwey would be out.

Without sounding like you’re telling tales in the playground cant you have a word with your boss saying you got wrong staff and get staff in that can do the job (which might make your bosses think you’re not doing your job properly of managing people?)

It is tough and there’s alot of sense in the ‘hang on on there’ remarks

thepurist

MrsM – your first post came across as a normal ‘bad day at the office’ type moan but from your follow up it sounds more deep seated than that. I’ve been there – a job that affected me so much that I’d come home and go to be (at about 7.30) and stay there hiding from the world until I went back in the next day. Don’t do what I did and walk away from a perfectly good ‘career’ because you think that’s the root cause of it (it wasn’t). Go see someone and talk to them about it properly.

neil853
    Free Member

Typical flippant advice from a load of keyboard warriors. No way you’d be this blunt face to face with a friend. Its sounds like my day job, and sometimes its difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel but you do have to console yourself that things will get better.

Having something outside of work to deal with the stress is really helpful, doesn’t have to be cycling (although lets be honest its a good one). Anything that you find relaxing. To help me deal with the stress I started running. I’d get home stressed to f@ck wanting to give my directors a good hiding, only to go for a run and get back almost completely relaxed. What it also did was calm me down so that I could think of solutions and not the problem, and thats what you need to do.

Remember you got to be a manager because you were seen to be able to do that job competently, take confidence from that and try to think through a way of developing the staff skills to lessen your work load.

But I will echo what some have said in that its the weekend shortly, try and enjoy it 🙂

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

thanks for the understanding.

it’s just a passing negative moment. I’m quite good at spinning things around to see a positive side. there’s always one. but sometimes it feels like nothing is genuinely positive but rather has to be looked at that way.
    anyway.

crap engineer was employed 7 weeks ago and she’s leaving next week because SHE’S RUBBISH !! and I don’t have time for training. Oh hang on, yes i do at weekends cos’ if you don’t have time to do your job during the week you should do it in the evenings and at weekends (dixit my technical reviewer. old fart)

Well, I hang on like everyone. most of the time. and sometimes there’s a bit of a woobly moment. like everyone.
    it’s life

tracknicko
    Free Member

no i think i would indeed be this blunt face to face.

either a) suck it up, the experience will make you tougher/better/stronger

or b) if it’s genuinely serious, go and talk to someone about serious support.

i think the worse possible advice is… oooh it’ll be alright it’s the weekend soon.

It doens’t sound like things are gonna change just becuase there’s a bank holiday.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I definitely will enjoy the weekend cos’ in France for most of us it’s a FOUR DAYS WEEKEND !!!!!

retro83
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnUUuPUmq6w[/video]

tracknicko
    Free Member

boom! now you’re talking! also sod work for a second… you live in france? imagine the possibilites!

4 days off eh? road trip to denmark?

http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/#summary

stevewhyte
    Free Member

P45 to the manager i say.

philfive
    Free Member

performance manage your crap out of the business or cry me a river 😀

hels
    Free Member

Just a suggestion MrsMugsy – can you make somebody else rewrite the report – do you have any competent staff at all ?

No need to have a dog and bark yourself.

Tiger6791

Women Engineer*

I see your problem 😀

Tiger6791

* tongue is in cheek before I get lambasted

jota180
    Free Member

As soon as I got here I got a call from a client and got insulted. Apparently we’re rubbish and our competitors are so much better and next time they won’t trust us.

I’ve had 3 calls already today from customers telling me pretty much the same
    Not only that, we’re putting them out of business, we’re deliberately make their life as difficult as possible

**** useless to a man was one comment
    All because the feed went down for 40 minutes

Pretty much par for the course with Irish bookmakers

Water, back, duck

t-p26
    Free Member

As mentioned,you have a job, tell you what, Ill swap you places, its just one long weekend, except I have no money to spend!When my bike breaks, I cant afford to put it right…. should I go on?
    Work, the shitty bit that makes leisure time more fun

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘work can be real crap sometimes’ is closed to new replies.