Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Words that are not used as they were intended .
  • tthew

I know it’s not strictly relevant to the thread, but why does that Sturmey Archer equipped Raleigh Bomber on page 2 have a derailleur/spoke protector on it?

Anyway, as you were.

muddy@rseguy

Chaos.

It means a complete absence of order.

It doesn’t mean a few trains are late due to a points failure at Clapham Jct…unless the points had turned into a large bunch of bananas called Gerald and had decided to run for intergalactic president after proposing to Susan Boyle following a long and heartfelt duet where Gerald had admitted his hair was not his own, in which case the term “chaos on the railways” would, for once, actually be appropriate.

And don’t get me started on “very unique”

frankconway

Battling as in ‘….commuters battling through traffic chaos’.

Yeugh.

toemul
    Free Member

From whence.

BigJohn

Unbelievable…incredible…unimaginable…

No, I can believe/imagine it.

Fulsome is my current grr word. Fulsome praise is a false, way over the top, cringing compliment. Think Father Jack and the bishop. A fulsome apology is an insincere, overblown one. But hey ho. Language changes.

Which is why I don’t object to medalling or summiting. Making verbs into nouns is how language comes about. I imagine 600 years ago there was somebody in a pub moaning that his boss told him to plough the field. “Plough! Plough! A verb? Didn’t he mean go and make lines in the field USING the plough?”

Although using is a gerund, not a verb.

matt_outandabout

“President”

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Words that are not used as they were intended .’ is closed to new replies.