Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Woods, SSSI, private owners + Bikes, anywhere in the UK where this works?
  • tang
    Free Member

Our local spot has new owners who have a dim view of bikers(and horses) using the woods. Its a complex mix of common law access, areas of SSSI, ancient monuments, bridleways, footpaths and a long history of use by Mtb’ers(25 years in my case).
    Anyways, before things turn heavy I am thinking of trying contact the owners and have a chat. I know that the NT have tried to be a bit progressive in our area but does anyone know of a situation where private landowners and bikers have reached a good compromise that has a happy outcome?

latest thread http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-lovely-new-land-owners-at-cranham-i-met-them-today

jam-bo

Woodland Riders down in Devon.

We got all sorts of complications but its worked out pretty well.

tang
    Free Member

Cheers Jam bo, great stuff.

geoffj

Carron Valley…..
    oh :mrgreen:

cookeaa

If there’s not one already, seriously consider organising a local club affiliated to British cycling as a first step, if nothing else it lends a bit of legitimacy to MTBers in the area as an organised, serious group.

Further down the line when issues such as liability insurance and trail maintenance are brought up (and they will be) there is a representative body for MTBers and the British Cycling connection can help with advice in these areas too…

Maybe try getting in touch with those at existing successful clubs, I used to Ride regularly at Chicksands myself, whatever your feelings about it as a venue that would never have developed and seen such extensive, well maintained trail building and event organisation without a strong well organised club, Swinley is another good example of a strong local Club contributing to the success of a woodland as a venue for cycling, Aston hill too, there are loads really, just remember there is some strength in numbers, push the “Local Tourism” angle if you can and be prepared to negotiate rather than argue…

tang
    Free Member

Its low key(although numbers have been higher in last few years, and I’ve met people who have traveled 30 miles to ride there) and we are talking of only a few trails in a reasonably small area that link into a patchwork of local loops. However, they are good enough to try and keep going. There are two local clubs that use them, one of which were interested in positive outcomes and involvement. just collecting some ideas atm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Woods, SSSI, private owners + Bikes, anywhere in the UK where this works?’ is closed to new replies.