Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Wooden Kitchen worktops?
  • ransos
    Free Member

“So, wood not better than anti-bacterial plastic, then? Or did I miss something?”

You missed something. The experiment was looking at how long different surfaces resist bacteria, once they have been cleaned with an antibacterial spray or wipe.

Wood did better than anti-bacterial plastic.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh…

I thought it was just the ordinary, untreated plastic that didn’t fare so well?

Anyway, bored now.

Concrete.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s all academic anyway – I suspect nearly everyone puts raw food on chopping boards rather than directly onto worktops, so your chopping boars is surely far more important than your choice of worktop. I actually use plastic chopping boards because I can put them in the dishwasher.

postierich
    Free Member

Granite man here probably less hassle and pain free(trees feel that saw!)

Rich

GrahamS

I think you missed something (which is odd as I put it in bold).

Out of the four surfaces tested, less E.Coli and Staph.A survived on the wooden surface, with less than 8% surviving.

“anti-bacterial plastic”, specifically the Microban® stuff, was second.

Plastic (i.e. laminate) is in third.

And it doesn’t say if the wood is plain, or treated.

No it doesn’t, but treated with what exactly? Wooden worktops are oiled (typically with vegetable or nut-extract oils). I think if they sprayed it with some exotic anti-bacterial treatment then they would have separated it out as they did with plastic.

I’d trust a surface I can see to be clean, tbh.

Mmm, can you see E.Coli then? Your MicroSuperVision™ versus a controlled trial with proper science. I know which I’d trust.

jimmy

Wonder if I can get advice on going into Prostitution

Fire away

dot
    Free Member

I have Oak and oil every three months or so had them for approx 2 years the only issue being darkening around the taps/edges of the sink (from to much splish-splashing).

Postierich,

What did you seal your slate floor with? As I’m just in the process of cleaning and sealing my slate floor.

andym
    Free Member

Granite man here probably less hassle and pain free(trees feel that saw!)[/I]

If I could have afforded wood or a fancy composite then the choice would have been harder, but if it’s a choice between wood and laminate then wood gets my vote every time.

takisawa2

Cutting down 200yr old trees for the latest fashion in kitchens seems a bit vain to me. They’ll grow back though I guess. In 200 yrs.
    Suppose its better than the carbon emitted by cheap laminate mfr.

lardman
    Free Member

ours is beech block. Sealed with Sikkens TS – which is a light satin finish clear sealer. It resists stains very well, and is very tough.

4 coats, fine wire wool between each coat. The beech block wont crack, but will mark with hot pans.

Fishy
    Free Member

This is a Mountain Bike Forum?? :mrgreen:

That aside – I’m in the process of fitting bamboo worktops (bargain prices on ex-mfi stock on fleabay!), obviously can’t comment on longevity but

Cutting down 200yr old trees for the latest fashion in kitchens seems a bit vain to me. They’ll grow back though I guess. In 200 yrs.

Bamboo grows faster than grass so is probably the most sustainable material to use, it is very hard-wearing and apparently has minimal shrinkage. (Also can’t comment on what awful adhesives might be used in manufacture but you can’t have everything).

GrahamS

Mine came from sustainable managed sources (I checked) as I’m sure most reputable worktops do these days.
    These will be the same managed sources that happily permit us to ride mountain bikes through their crop.

This is a Mountain Bike Forum??

Nope, this is a Chat Forum, the Bike Forum is over there.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That MFI Bamboo is very good, very hardwearing and boy does it blunt jigsaw blades and router cutters! get it well sealed and it’ll last a good while.

I use HG lithofin slate seal on my slate floors, not too shiney and repels water very well, get it from a real tile merchants.

GrahamS

**** ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT! ****

Not wishing to cast aspersions builderdave, but it’s a little odd that as a brand new member you’ve used your first and only post to resurrect a year old thread and then posted a link to a website.

Any interests to declare?

grantway
    Free Member

Hello wood does have its own anti-bactiriel in it

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

What a coincidence – I was just thinking abut the excellent value worktops from Worktops R Us – as a regular customer I was amazed at the friendly service and great, great prices… See in store for details… Offer must end this Saturday… The value of your worktop can go down as well as up… Terms and conditions apply ect ect.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Wooden Kitchen worktops?’ is closed to new replies.