• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ski.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Woodcutterists of STW
  • lesgrandepotato

I’ve had the boys come and clear some stuff from the back garden so I’ve got a couple or four cubes of freshly dropped wood. Clearly this will need to season for some time but how does the process from 3 foot logs to fireplace go.

Leave it for a couple of years then prep it? Or prep it while it’s fresh then stack it and leave it? I’ll clearly need a small erection to go with all this wood as well.

donald
    Free Member

If you cut and split it now it’ll season more quickly. As it was felled in the summer it will have a higher moisture content than if it were felled in the winter so you might need to leave it a little longer.

Stoner
    Free Member

rather depends on the wood. Big old poplar is a git to split wet (it doesnt get much easier when dry TBH) but younger poplar splits beautifully either way. Split wood dries faster. In the UK, ideally you log to 25-30cm, split then store. The french are different (quelle surprise, ROdney) and store as 3ft split cords and the log them later. Seems weird to me, but Edukator will probably tell us why it’s done that way.

If you arent going to get a shed built for it this winter, at least get a tarp over it all. You could of course go full mcmonter and log/split and hoffhausen it right away…

lesgrandepotato

It’s about 12 or so 50ft sycamores / ash + a single conifer

Stoner
    Free Member

sycamore is probably easier when dry. If you get a chance, logging now will speed up the drying even if you cant get a maul through it yet.

donald
    Free Member

Sycamore is easy to split wet or dry. Get on with with it man 🙂

ski
    Free Member

I would cut and split now if you have a choice.

I have some old Oak logs that we forgot to split a few years ago! Big mistake!

Ash is King by the way 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Woodcutterists of STW’ is closed to new replies.