Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Woodchip blower for domestic biomass use
  • wynne
    Free Member

Been looking at some Auer blowers but they are overkill for what I need. I pick up a trailer of woodchip about once a month and due to access issues to our chip store I then spend two hours shovelling it from trailer to store. Anyone know of any smaller and cheaper suction blowers that would be up be up to the job of shifting about 10 cubic metres of dry chip each month?
    Thanks

Rich

Smudger666

smaller: in short, no. moving woodchip (I assume G30/W25ish) along a flexible hose requires a huge flow rate of air – way more than pellets.

cheaper: ? not sure – is there an agricultural machinery ring in your area that might rent you one?

you haven’t said how far and how high you have to shift it, so cant offer any alternatives but you might find a local arable farmer who could lend you a small conveyor for an hour or two? i’ve seen carrots and swedes/turnips being lifted into stores via a conveyor on wheels.

itstig

Have you looked at grain sucker/blowers, a few on ebay but they tend to be pto powered or 3 phase They can be cheap(ish).

timber

Auger or conveyer viable options?
    Lot of puff needed for long runs.
    Build vehicle access to store?
    We have a few of these at work and are getting better at locating them.

wynne
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought as much with regard to size and likely cost. I don’t have to move the chip very far – just have to get it through a small door. Yes it is the g30/m20 but the quality I’ve now sourced feels drier and moves much more easily than some of the wetter stuff I got from our old supplier (which was frankly terrible). I would only really have to blow it about 3 metres as I can back my trailer up to the door of my store.

I can’t really do much to improve access. It would involve removing a lovely mature tree and I don’t want to do that.
    I also don’t want too large a machine as I’m going to have to store it and the aim of this post is really to minimise the amount if time I have to devote to chip delivery so I would prefer not to have rent/borrow equipment.
    I reckon the Stihl leaf shredder/blower i looked at isn’t going to have enough oomph, so wheelbarrow and snow shovel it is then for the time being. Woohoo.

itstig

Japa make saw dust extractor which looks small and is available in 240v. I’m not sure whether it will reduce the pellets to dust though.

timber

Any usable height advantage from trailer to store?
    Use a section of 450mm drainage pipe as a chute?

Smudger666

Saw one of these in action today……..

https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/Lawn-Care-Garden-Care/Leaf-Blower-Vacuum/Billy-Goat-Machinery/Billy-Goat-Truck-Loaders/Billy-Goat-DL1301H-Honda-Engined-Debris-Loader.html?utm_source=google-product-search-us-en&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&gclid=CjwKEAiAjIbBBRCitNvJ1o257WESJADpoUt09dTCMWUeMvDlDA232JGpBAkmC5JIX9D69guSpuULTxoC5hPw_wcB

Moving chip 8 feet up and blowing it about 7 feet away.

Be careful about changing the chip moisture content too far from the commissioning fuel – more than about a 5% in either direction change could affect the output/efficiency of the boiler depending on the make/model.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Woodchip blower for domestic biomass use’ is closed to new replies.