Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • WoodBurning Stove Flue Maintenance Question
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Our stove and flue was installed a couple of years back (by a company that did a less than stellar job). I’ve noticed that the pipe joints have been packed with what looks like fire cement which is now crumbling and falling out, so I reckon it’s time to do a little maintenance, which will include straightening up the flue!

I’m wondering if this stuff is okay to use on the flue that’s leaving the stove – it’s temp rated for use up to 250°C, or whether I should use fire cement again.

br
    Free Member

Did you not get it swept before starting to use it again for winter?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Fire cement is usually used.. although I just packed mine tightly with rope and according to my huge nose and the Co2 detector.. it’s fine. Once the flu warms it naturally drags any fumes up the chimney anyway.

RE sweeping the flu.. depends on what you burn.. I get no more than 1/4 a pint (volume) of soot out of mine after a full years use and could probably get away with doing it once every few years.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

usually sweep it myself – it’s an external steel flue that exits the house at head height and has a removable plate, so it’s an external job for the most part. Not sure what that has to do with the initial question though.

As elzorillo mentioned, I’m burning hardwood that’s been seasoning outside for 2 years, then dried in the house for a week before it goes in the fire – we get very little soot in the flue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

having it swept really isnt relevent to the question at all other than its associated with stove maintainance

the fire cement goes hard – i have it in my joints that are not very thick – ie same od into same od.

the advantage of the jointing compound is it doesnt set so can accomodate for movement a bit better and may be more resiliant in your application.

either way neither are fit and forget.

as for straightening up the flue – you might find that the hole in the fireplace and the flue registerplate are not alligned. I was told id have to live with a slightly askew pipe or have my stove offset in the hole as no combination of the availible flue pipes would work to get it all centered. Its amaizing what you can do with a grinder and a welder to make your own angle 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘WoodBurning Stove Flue Maintenance Question’ is closed to new replies.