Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Woodburnertrackworld – ILD stoves anyone?
  • crapknees
    Free Member

Any one heard of these? I have had a quote for an ILD stove to be fitted. They certainly look the dogs, but l want to be sure that they are going to be up to the task. We have an old house (solid wall) with a big living room (~55 cubic meters with an open staircase), so want something that will kick out a decent amount of heat, and that l wont have to feed every half hour like l used to with our old stove (an 8kw no name job).

Any experience?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Never heard of ILD and would be cautious about using an unknown manufacturer.
    We have a 5Kw inset stove in our 76m3 living room and it does a fine job, we also have an 8Kw stove at the other end of the house (in a room that is connected to the staircase and the kitch and it’s almost too big).
    I would have thought that 8Kw would do you fine and allow you to run it at a good temperature.
    You may have been constantly feeding your old stove because it was not very controllable and/or you where using pretty dry softwood which will disappear quicker than a hardwood.
    We use Clearview stoves which have a great reputation but are not cheap (I buy them on ebay then refurb them to look like new), but there are other good makes out there.

Edit: Seeing as the ILD does not even appear on the whatstove website I’d be even more wary.

crapknees
    Free Member

Thanks sharkbait.

I believe ILD is an offshoot of Jotul (listed as one of their brands alongside Scan, Warm and Jotul itself), and it was suggested by the fitter. I’m a bit skeptical of someone who may have a vested interest, hence asking on here. Having said that they are also stocked by a local (reputable) stove shop, so…

I think our last stove was simply inefficient. Can l expect decent burn times with a ‘named’ stove? I’d like to turn it down overnight and provide at least some heat till the early hours. Our house currently has central heating only and the thermal retention properties of a wet paper bag. We’re hoping the stove will make life a little more comfortable (and cheaper)!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just been given a Jotul that I’m going to install in my office – they seem pretty good but I’d still be happier with another Clearview!

Burn times are all rather relative – the smaller the firebox the more frequently you’ll need to add wood, similarly you’ll be adding Pine more often than Oak – and if a stove is leaky there’s a good chance that it will throw the heat up the flue instead of into the room.

Don’t be too keen on trying to keep the stove in all night as this tends to lead to sooted up glass and is not good for the flue – stoves run best between 4-500f. Get a stove thermometer if you haven’t got one as it will give you a proper idea of how best to run your stove (even though we have two stoves from the same manufacturer they need treating differently. Feel free to add fuel before you go to bed but don’t let it smoulder. A good stove/flue and wood combo will light quickly in the morning.

If you’ve got poor heat retention look at your insulation first, this will save you more money than a different stove. Stoves are not necessarily money saving devices (but they can be).

sharkbait
    Free Member

One thing I would say about ‘big’ name stoves is that they tend to command a higher used price than a similar size unknown brand. Buy a decent used Clearview, Morso, etc and spend a little doing it up and I doubt you’ll ever lose any money on it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Woodburnertrackworld – ILD stoves anyone?’ is closed to new replies.