Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Woodburner on in attempt to cheer up family.
  • Wally

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep had ours on last night and most of thursday

We were just back from cold wet and windy tour of north east scotland + islands and couldnt get warm.

The fire sorted that. And last night we just sat in the dark watching stornoway festival with the fire on.

Dont really grudge it as it heats the whole house at a fraction of the cost of the oil ……that said im still burning free wood 🙂 so that fractions currently just a bit of time and effort to chop wood

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s the last bay of my new woodshed nearly filled using the remains of the fallen timber from January’s storm.

grantway
    Free Member

mmmmm I had taken my family on Holiday ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice.

mcmoonter,

How much wood do you burn during the winter?

How long will those shed of wood last you?

nols
    Free Member

I have total woodshed envy… currently getting the money together to have a Jotul 602 installed.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mcmoonter,

How much wood do you burn during the winter?

How long will those shed of wood last you?

We get through a lot, but our new stove has reduced our comsumption to about 1/3 of what we used to use. A second Dovre is in the pipelene.

How long will it last? We may have a couple of years burning in the others before we reach this one. So I reckon we maybe have five or six years worth all told. 😯

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Do you have back boilers on your stoves mcmoonter?

chewkw
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

We get through a lot, but our new stove has reduced our comsumption to about 1/3 of what we used to use. A second Dovre is in the pipelene.

Dovre looks niceeee … I like.

How long will it last? We may have a couple of years burning in the others before we reach this one. So I reckon we maybe have five or six years worth all told.

So would you say the consumption is one bay per winter?

🙂

rp16v
    Free Member

I have total wood envy

😆 sorry someone had to
    tbf if i had my own home and the space avail i would have one they make the room very homely.

Grimy
    Free Member

Flippin heck! Thats a lot of wood. It would have taken me a year to chop it, never mind burn it.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I have total wood envy

dont worry its all smoke and mirrors the bays are only 1 foot deep 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you have back boilers on your stoves mcmoonter?

No, but I think the stove is rated at 11kw once its up to speed.

We are going to put a second one in our big hall which should heat the majority of the space.

Each bay is 2.4m3 so that’s nearly 14m3, I’d expect that to last a good few weeks. The eight bays make 110m3.

As I said it might be a few years before we start using it.

EDIT cubic content was wrong now corrected.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

You know your mirror is cracked right!?

wrightyson
    Free Member

From the bloody heat no doubt, 😯 11kw

boxelder

I got a bit sunburnt in the garden yesterday, so had the patio door ajar for cooling.
    It’s grim oop north.

maccruiskeen

Is that Fahrenheit 451 or Towering Inferno on the telly?

globalti
    Free Member

Yep,we had our burning Saturday night. We burn peat in summer, it burns cooler and smells fantastic when you go outside.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Peat! Now you are talking.

I used to cut it when I lived in Orkney. I loved the process, heading up to the hill to cut in May just as the wild flowers were flowering and the birds were nesting. Strong winds, long days and hopefully sunshine would dry the spread topside sufficiently that they could be raised herring bone stylee, to dry the underside.

All being well, another month or so would see them dry enough to cart home. I think our bank was about 120 yards long, and at it’s deepest taller than me. That would provide about enough fuel for our Rayburn and stove.

The smell was sensational and it provided easily as much heat as logs. When we burned it in my mother’s fire on the main street in Kirkwall, locals and tourists would be seen to stop, sniff and smile.

chewkw
    Free Member

globalti & mcmoonter,

Are peat cheaper to source?

🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Are peat cheaper to source?

It was free if your croft had peat rights. Back in the day everyone cut peat, now there are only a few diehard stalwarts, so I expect you could reopen an unused bank.

A couple of friends cut peat for the folk museums, I was astounded how much the charged the council for them.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner on in attempt to cheer up family.’ is closed to new replies.