Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wood stove baffle plate
  • ratherbeintobago

Stupid question for the wood burner experts – should the baffle plate in the stove sit flush with the back plate or should there be an air gap between them?

Ta,

Andy

ratherbeintobago

Bump?

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Don’t know if this helps, but if you mean the big metal plate thing like in this picture then it slides right up to meet the back wall of the wood burner. But, as you can see, there are holes on each side (the triangular section), but which doesn’t allow the flame to directly reach the flue.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3ILs65e6cEvNXlKbxgQsnzvT4XCVrRobvmJ9K-DerAE?feat=directlink

Doing a quick google, it looks as though there would NOT normally be a gap. I read one report saying the baffle plate had slipped out of position and this had allowed the flame to directly heat up (massively) the flue, which caused a fire. I think the idea is that the baffle stops the direct flame and heat disappearing up the chimney/flue, plus it creates that swirling flame effect (looks nice) and in some cases, it might be used to help with airwash for the glass.

Having said all that, I reckon fitting the baffle plate, and the design of the baffle plate, varies from wood burner to wood burner, so I guess you really need to seek out some advice from the manufacturer. Unless its homemade, you should find the manual on the web, no ?

What make is it ?

ratherbeintobago

Town and Country Rosedale inset. Have managed to get a manual and work it out – plate was too far forward and is now sat resting in cutouts in the side plates with the rear lip atop the backplate.

Next stupid question – what to do with the resulting wood ash? Can it be composted or is it just a case of dumping it in the general waste?

Andy

Stoner
    Free Member

fine for compost but dont over do it. I produce a lot of ash (4tons of wood +) a year so I spread it around the field rather than have concentrated patches of it in the compost.

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner see if you had a proper boiler you’d hardly produce any…..

globalti
    Free Member

Our ash goes in the brook that flows under the house.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wood stove baffle plate’ is closed to new replies.