Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wood flooring again – moisture barrier under engineered wood?
  • Vern0n
    Free Member

Ok, so I’m expecting some nice engineered wood flooring to be delivered this week and want to get it right!

Just wondered if anyone can clue me up on moisture protection. The sub floor is 18mm ply. Suspended floor, with about a couple of feet of crawl space under it. I intend to secret nail the planks down.

From what I’ve read most seem to suggest a semi permeable barrier between ply and the planks. Does this sound right? And can anyone recommend such a fabric?

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, you won’t need it in your case.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Cheers dd. Is that due to the space below or the fact it’s on ply?? Or something else!?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You really only need one over concrete. (And some special cases over a suspended floor, but you don’t need to worry about those in this case). Your ply will give the timber floor enough protection from any moisture underneath. In any case, it’s engineered anyway, so you’re doubly safe.

Are you hiring a Portanailer?

ericm
    Free Member

because its not directly on concrete floor,moisture shouldn’t be an issue,there should be a good airflow under it

Vern0n
    Free Member

Yup, portnailer. I’ve done it before and i don’t fancy facing with glue.

But in the new house it’s a bit more, ahem, moist, hence just worrying a bit more than I probably need to… It’s 1930 ish, solid brick walls and all that…

Planks are 18/4 t&g, 150mm wide if it makes any diff? They look a nice quality ply base so hopefully will be ok!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ll be reet. I wouldn’t dream of using a moisture barrier but as ericm rightly points out, check for ventilation under the floor. Mind you, if you had the kind of problems that would lead to a ply-on-ply floor failing, the floor would be the least of your worries. 🙂

Vern0n
    Free Member

Cool thx all, I will put some pics up when it’s done!

No further questions 8)

Kryton57

How do you fix a creak?

Vern0n
    Free Member

What sort of floor / creak?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh no 😳

Really?

Vern0n
    Free Member

Oops!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wood flooring again – moisture barrier under engineered wood?’ is closed to new replies.