Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wood cutting, prep etc
  • Merak

So hurricane Brian brought one of my neighbours trees down a couple of weeks ago. As it’s windfall it’s free which is great but
    I’ve spent four hours cutting and chopping wood today. Chainsaw, splitting maul etc.

Is it worth it? I mean cutting chopping, stacking and prepping wood, are you not just better buying two cubes of seasoned wood each winter rather than all the fannying about?

tymbian
    Free Member

How rich are you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said

Time rich cash poor do it cash rich time poor dont

Coal is better to use anyway IMHO

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Old guy I learned form, his theory was that you get 3 heats from timber, one cutting it down, one chopping, and one on the fire.

All depends on your outlook, I quite enjoy a cold autumn day chopping, earn your Sunday roast.

kilo

Gives you an excuse to wear checked shirts, rugged boots,own a chainsaw,axe, splitting mauls,log grenade, log splitter and generally be stw compliant though.

Edukator
    Free Member

Coal is better to use anyway IMHO

Wood from storm fall is about as carbon neutral as you’ll get, coal is the fastest way to greenhouse the planet.

Do you want to be fit or fat, OP? Keep choppin’.

Merak

Old guy I learned form, his theory was that you get 3 heats from timber, one cutting it down, one chopping, and one on the fire.

I like that, it’s very true. I would love to burn peat or coal but some control restrictions mean I must toe the wood party line.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You won’t kill a mouse but you’re happy to burn peat, very strange 😯

hodge100
    Free Member

From a commercial aspect its a hard way to make a small profit, I sold logs for 14 years off the back of my tree surgery company. A lot of the time the wood was free, after cutting, splitting and dry storing for a year you then load up and deliver it for peanuts really as loads of people do it round here. I now sell direct off jobs to anyone who wants some logs to split themselves and it money in the bank without all the messing about.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

4 hours? 4 hours?!

Ya big wuss. I’ve spent the last 4 weeks every spare hour cutting and splitting 5 huge fir trees that we had taken down.

And I had to build 3 new log stores to put them in to season.

Absolutely love it. Next year I’ll buy some fresh cut timber and do it all again (no more big trees of our own need to come down).

And yes, you sure do get 3 warms

neilnevill
    Free Member

Some of us enjoy it, but there is no doubt it takes a lot of time and a lot of effort. I get arb waste, then cut, split and stack it myself. I reckon I’m working for about £10/hour compared to buying, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I enjoy the exercise and time in the garden though.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is it worth it?

I’d say yes. I thoroughly enjoy working outdoors especially with winter around the corner, knowing I have enough fuel to see me through a few years. I’ve never tried to quantify the time/cost balance, though I was stunned recently at what my neighbour charges for a Land Rover tipper load of logs.

My holzhausen collection has grown rapidly due to a tree surgeon friend. If he has a job locally that needs uplifting he gives me a call. Making a hydraulic log splitter was the biggest time saver.

I’m not sure if this link to my Instagram page will work but there’s a video clip of a walk through of some of my holzhausens if you scroll down a bit

richmars

I enjoy it, but it’s also a by-product of managing a small bit of woodland. And as Kilo says above, it gives me an excuse for all the lumberjack stuff and 4×4.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wood cutting, prep etc’ is closed to new replies.