Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wood burning in cities (possible me vs the man content)
  • camo16
    Free Member

Howdy, evening STWers.

So, this is the time of year when I gawp at your wood through envious fingers.

Been thinking about getting a wood burner… But I’m living in Liverpool terraces and no-one else has smoke coming out of their chimneys.

Is there any legislation in place to stop me using a wood fire in the inner (ish) city? Will the man fine my tight butt?

Thoughts?

jam-bo

Clean air act.

TheBrick
    Free Member

clean air act 1956. It just means you need a burner that reaches some sort of level of clean combustion.

camo16
    Free Member

Ta, so this clean air act only applies to cities?

Do log burners comply with said red tapeage?

samuri
    Free Member

There’s a load of stoves that don’t produce smoke which you’re allowed to use in the city.

google for cleanburning stoves

Stoner
    Free Member

You may want to read this, written by a friend of mine.

Where there’s smoke…

chorlton
    Free Member

You’ll need a DEFRA approved wood burner most likely. Unless you want to burn smokeless fuels. About to get and fit one myself.

samuri
    Free Member

And liverpool say this on their website

” SMOKE CONTROL AREAS
    The Clean Air Act 1993 allows Councils to establish smoke control areas which are aimed at improving air quality by burning authorised smokeless fuels, and where the emission of smoke from chimneys is prohibited.

Coal and wood are not authorised smokeless fuels and therefore they can only be burnt in a smoke controlled area if they are used with an exempt heating appliance. Such appliances burn off or ‘eat’ the smoke produced by the fuel. For further information on this subject please contact your local environmental health service.”

camo16
    Free Member

Good article that, Stoner

It’s a really appealing idea, plus I’d get to wave my Willy at eon

Costings next.

Ta

Edit… Damn regulations. I blame Councillor Low Life Joe Anderson

Trekster

As an asthma sufferer I hate this time of year and all those people who have installed or opened up old fire burning devices!!!

I am old enough to remember the “act” coming in and areas of town being deemed smokeless zones. Young people however are not aware of the “act” and are blundering ahead and installing “burners” or re-establishing old fire places 🙄

camo16
    Free Member

So I have no choice, but to stick with GCH or move to somewhere more tolerant of the smouldering log?

Is there any way I can avoid being a peon of E.ON?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

You can use these in a smokeless area
    http://www.cleanburn-stoves.co.uk

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Solar panels, solar hot water, wind turbines, switch to another provider…

Burning stuff in built up areas is a bad idea, in the end wood fires are not that clever if you have to buy the wood.

Marin
    Free Member

That’s not the scouse way camo. Have got a mate near Wavertree High Street with one and also one up near Hope Uni who found his burner in a skip.They’ve had no problem for a few years. Would get one fitted myself but have no chimney alas. Few areas near town there is wood galore avalaible that’s well dried and legal.

camo16
    Free Member

Fascinating, Marin! I like that! 😀

Marin
    Free Member

They only use them 1 or 2 nights a week and still rely on central heating mainly. More of a romantic night with the Mrs. You don’t work for the council do you? 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

Burning stuff in built up areas is a bad idea, in the end wood fires are not that clever if you have to buy the wood.

^This. Unless you have access to free wood (or the time and inclination to track down nearly free wood) you’ll find a log burner is an expensive option.

camo16
    Free Member

No, I don’t work for the council, Marin!

soops
    Free Member

These are cracking stoves. Get the solo model though.

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/highlander5ENVIROmultifuelstove.html

martinhutch

We’ve got a Stovax stockton which is OK for smokeless zones. Nice little burner. The widget that makes it suitable for smokeless is just something that stops you shutting it down too much. Got it signed off, took it out. Sorted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

smooooth with a capital SMOOOO martin.

wont someone think of the children 😉

globalti
    Free Member

The Pureheat we use has “Approved for smokeless areas” written on the bags – that’s enough for us.

camo16
    Free Member

Soops, that’s what I’m talking about

Hubba hubba

martinhutch

TBH, the widget offered the worst of all worlds – you could still shut it down enough for it to burn inefficiently, but not enough to actually damp it down so I could pop to the shops.

soobalias
    Free Member

edit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning in cities (possible me vs the man content)’ is closed to new replies.