• This topic has 39 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Won on eBay, seller asking for more money
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

I just won a bike for £430 on eBay. The seller has said he wants at least £650 for it and won’t let it go any cheaper. Is there anything I can do to make him honour the auction, or should I just cancel it?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hahahaha!
    Tell him to poke it where the sun don’t shine.
    That’s what reserve prices are for, his fault.
    Then leave negative feedback.

Pieface

Go elsewhere, slate their feedback. Its an auction, they should have put a reserve on it.

ctk
    Free Member

Basically no. You could Pay with paypal and then complain when you dont get it, keep your communications with seller etc. But they cant force seller to give you bike.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Agreed with everyone above, if he wanted at least £650 for it he should have put a reserve on it. Probably did not because it costs him more to do so. But tough luck basically, open a dispute if you want otherwise give negative feedback.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

HAve you got a link to the sale? Let’s see what it’s actually worth. The problem is this time of year is poor for selling bikes but great for buying. As you’ve discovered!

ctk
    Free Member

If seller relists bike you could make sure your the highest bidder and then email and say “I wont pay more than £420” 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Que?

Sale price is just that.

Raise it with eBay before paying anything, if you want the bike and accept the deal just pay up the sold price, but I’d get eBay involved if i were you.

curto80
    Free Member

Sue for specific performance of his legally binding obligation to sell you the bike. What a twunt.

kayla1
    Free Member

You’re probably not going to be able to buy the bike if the seller’s not willing to let it go for less than they wanted, the seller can just claim it got broken or lost or something, so just accept people can be dicks and move on.

edit- or if they relist it just bung a winning bid on it and bell them about if you can bothered.

angeldust
    Free Member

eBay relies on the honesty of the users, and unfortunately more often than not the users are twonks. There are 10 idiots for every decent person on there. Contact eBay, leave bad feedback, then just move on. Then think twice about using it in future.

zilog6128

if you want the bike and accept the deal just pay up

No way of doing that within eBay rules though surely? So worst case scenario, it all goes tits up & you get refunded the original £430

Defo tell seller to jog on & leave negative feedback (in detail if poss). Just not worth dealing with someone who has already started messing you about.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is there anything I can do to make him honour the auction

No. Not really.

legally binding obligation to sell you the bike

Not worth the paper it isn’t printed on. Sadly.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are 10 idiots for every decent person on there.

Utter drivel. With something like 850 feedback as a private seller on eBay I’ve only had problems maybe 2-3 times and nothing like on this thread.
    If you’re getting problems as a seller, it’s probably your own fault and your listings are poor. As a buyer you need to be aware and ask the right questions though, but your ass is covered though Paypal

bitasuite
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. The bike is a new caad optimo 105 so £430 would have been a bargain. Never mind, I’ll leave him -ve feedback and move on.

woffle
    Free Member

Had exactly the same thing – won the auction at approx 50% of its 2nd hand value. Immediately get an email asking for more money or to cancel the sale.

You’ll not be able to force him to sell it to you. What you can do is to refuse the cancellation request and leave negative feedback. This’ll ensure that he has to pay the listing and final valuation fees.

Or just accept the request and move on. I wouldn’t pay more separately. if you’re happy paying the extra, have him relist it with a buy-it-now.

integerspin
    Free Member

I can’t see anyway you can force him to hand the bike over.
    I would be inclined to tell ebay I paid cash and am happy with
    the item, that will cost him 43 quid.

BillOddie

What you can do is to refuse the cancellation request and leave negative feedback.

I’d do this to be honest.

woffle
    Free Member

As I understand it. he’s stuck with the fees as long as you don’t accept the cancellation…

penguinni

I left a chap negative feedback yesterday and I must admit to feeling a tad bad about it.

I bought a really nice CD player with Buy it Now and had no problems with the £12 postage costs. I paid immediatley and sat back happy with my purchase and planning how to sneak it into the house. Next morning I got an Email from PayPay with a message from the seller refunding my payment. He said the postage costs to NI were uneconomical and therefore he thought it fair to cancel. He said he only used UPS who refused to accept the package and wouldn’t use anyone else.

I was a bit miffed and left negative feedback. He asked if I would retract as it ruined his otherwise perfect feedback record and I refused as he reneged, unilaterally cancelled the deal, did not negotiate and did not make any conditions on postage on his ad. He has it relisted with no mention of postage restrictions either.

So much for Goodwill to all men….

wwaswas

He has it resisted with no mention of postage restrictions either.

Buy it again 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Say yes, go round to his house to collect in person and beat him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parkesie
    Free Member

Find any other bike and buy that. Keep buying and not paying this ****

crankboy
    Free Member

You could sue for the bike he is in breach of contract. You are entitled to be put in the position you would have been in had the contract been performed .Buy the equivalent bike elsewhere sue for any difference in price.

civil actions require you to pay fees to sue and fees to enforce judgement if you win and don’t guarantee that you will in fact recover that which you get in judgement. So agree for the law is costly.

I’d go for refusing to cancel the transaction and negative feedback myself.

djglover
    Free Member

Similar issue, I listed an item as 99p BIN rather than start price. Someone bought and paid paypal right away before I had realised my error.

The result, I refunded them and sucked up the negative feedback.

zilog6128

lol, this would be a good way to go (if it works!)

chakaping
    Free Member

He has it resisted with no mention of postage restrictions either.

Buy it again

Nah, that would be petty.

Get your friend who lives round the corner to.

chakaping
    Free Member

Similar issue, I listed an item as 99p BIN rather than start price. Someone bought and paid paypal right away before I had realised my error.

That’s a genuine listing error rather than a failure by seller to realise that nobody’s gonna be paying top dollar for used bikes the week before Xmas.

Always the best time of year to snag a bargain. I’ve bought relatively new full-sus bikes for similar prices to the OP previously at this time of year.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ll have a browse for what I want to get cheap on ebay…

monkeyboyjc

By the loos of it the seller only has 67 feedback so won’t be fussed by one negative….
    Leave very negative feedback and move on,…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Can’t remember, not sure if refusing the cancellation just delays the refund of fees or not.

angeldust
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

There are 10 idiots for every decent person on there.

Utter drivel. With something like 850 feedback as a private seller on eBay I’ve only had problems maybe 2-3 times and nothing like on this thread.
    If you’re getting problems as a seller, it’s probably your own fault and your listings are poor. As a buyer you need to be aware and ask the right questions though, but your ass is covered though Paypal

Nope, all wrong. Perhaps you are one of those idiots so can’t see through it :D? Back to fixing punctures :D? Stick to what you are good at, old chap :lol:? I suspect your expectaions are low. Happy Christmas!

Most of the frustrations I had on eBay (avoid using it now due to the standards of people on there) were people asking questions already well detailed in the advert. No buy it now prices; no buying outside of eBay (so no protection), no international shipping; asking for details that were nonsense or already on the advert; dealing with kids that had terrible feedback but the system allows to win the auctions but obviously would not pay etc etc. People just ignore the content of the ads and waste your time. I just didn’t have patience for the level of stupidity on there and filtering out the good guys, or what the system let people get away with.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Bloke did the same to me , Trek Liquid 30 ,eventually sent the bike with anything decent replaced with crap,wheels the lot, paid £750 I think back in 2005, he got kicked off eBay and I got £200 off PayPal, basically still got shafted!! Report him and don’t pay if I were you

kerley
    Free Member

As I understand it. he’s stuck with the fees as long as you don’t accept the cancellation…

If you don’t accept the cancellation it gets cancelled anyway after a number of days and buyer gets fees back.

nealglover
    Free Member

….dealing with kids that had terrible feedback but the system allows to win the auctions

Only if you choose to let them bid. You can select this when setting up the listing.

As for the rest, I just ignore any questions that are already covered in the listing.
    Takes no time at all to ignore stupid questions.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Had a similar thing happen, recently with a couple of smaller items.

Seller claimed he’d misplaced the items, immediately, and wanted to cancel. I thought that wasn’t cricket so proceeded to pay for said items and he clicked the “item dispatched” button a day or so later.

Obviously, they never turned up (after a few weeks of waiting) and the guy was unable to provide a proof of postage so I got a refund in the end. I missed out on similar items while I was waiting for them arriving. 🙄

Not a good experience and I’m still trying to find the same things elsewhere…

slimjim78
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me this year (similar pricing in fact) with a user of this forum no less..

I convinced myself that it was the perfect bike (obvs) so extremely begrudgingly continued with the purchase after making an offer higher than the final auction price. Transaction went fairly well after that, still not sure I made the right choice though..

eBay are a bunch of thieving charlatans however. Pray to god you never get caught up in the infinite loop of overseas customer ‘services’ and the downright lies they will peddle you when trying to get a refund you are entitled to.
    They’ve earned literally thousands off me over the years, but I never saw the £20 back that they owed me.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Move on, life’s too short and there are millions of bikes out there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Report seller, move on.

I missed out on similar items while I was waiting for them arriving.

So after paying for something you knew the seller didn’t want to sell, and waiting for something you knew wouldn’t arrive, you were disappointed that you missed out on stuff you could have bought?

That’s an interesting way of going about things.

DT78
    Free Member

On the other hand…. I once sold a bike for far less than its value (£150 for a 2 year old barely used £1000 bike). I contacted the buyer and said politely that was far less than I’d hoped for, he agreed he was getting a steal, but didn’t want to rob a fellow biker and we both agreed not to proceed with the sale and I’ve kept it as if it is only worth £150 I’ll keep it as run about with the kids buggy / chairs.

I very very rarely use ebay now. After all the various fees and time taken it isn’t worth it. Gumtree, STW or the parts bin / saved for when the boys want bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Won on eBay, seller asking for more money’ is closed to new replies.