• This topic has 140 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Women’s forum? We want your feedback
  • allyharp

and yet it makes me laugh every time i read it.

>in between microwaving kittens and counting your Rohypnol supply ?

I find the phrase in question amusing yet can’t say I’ve ever found Rohypnol particularly funny and certainly not microwaving kittens.

I’d be inclined to guess that Jamie feels the same way.

I’d never heard the phrase before this thread today though.

jennyh
    Free Member

Opinion of a female lurker and occasional poster – I personally don’t need a separate forum. I got into regular mountain biking through another forum (BM) and was introduced to this forum by mates I met on rides. I get hours of entertainment reading threads that I find interesting/amusing/enlightening/enraging etc…. Occasionally I am offended by what I read. I then look at the name of the poster and generally decide it is not worth rising to a reply. If I was really offended I would either post or raise the issue with the moderators.

I like the randomness of the forum, its been talked about as “paging the oracle” ask about anything and you shall receive a reply, although it may sometimes be abusive! I prefered it before the split, as I would learn things about bikes just because the thread title sounded like it was about something more interesting(..to me…)!

I was also introduced to Shecycles but did not find it as informative or interesting. Mountain biking is a male dominated sport. I am used to, and enjoy riding in male dominated groups. The females I have met through biking have had similar attitudes to my own. This forum just reflects the experience of real life. I don’t know the circumstances of shecycles demise, but I imagine if there had been loads of traffic on there it would have continued.

I can’t imagine you (the mods) could keep the irritating elements of this forum away from any area of these forums therefore I think a separate women’s area would pointless.

PinkOrange5
    Free Member

Vey well put jennyh.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Jennyh has summed it up nicely.

Rudeboy, who made you the arbiter of taste, decency and correctness? It offends me more that you think you can tell everyone what’s right and what’s wrong, than any of the more near the knuckle comments on here.

Jamie
    Free Member

#
    simonfbarnes:

and yet it makes me laugh every time i read it.

in between microwaving kittens and counting your Rohypnol supply ?

Close, but its usually in between trying to decide whether your a **** or a complete ****.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Rudeboy, who made you the arbiter of taste, decency and correctness?

I don’t think he was dictating, merely expressing his opinion

Nico
    Free Member

In response to Sue_W’s post above, I think the Shecycles forum is a different beast to a women’s forum on here. If you had a women’s forum on here then it would just get mixed in with the other forums. However if it were necessary to register to the women’s forum separately, and maybe brand it as separate you might recreate the Shecycles forum.

mrsflash
    Free Member

excellent post Jennyh, you’ve summed up my thoughts more eloquently than I could 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sorry I’m late . . . only just spotted the thread 🙄

aracer – Member

What I want to know is why is this thread in the bike forum, when it’s quite clearly OT?

I guess because women are more likely to use the forum for cycle-related questions rather than chit-chat and general stuff (we have ‘real’ friends for that 😉 ). No, joking aside, I reckon that if you were to take a look at the chat forum you’d find more blokes threads . . . my ‘friend’ has a problem, etc, etc, than women’s.

Fair play to the STW folks for making this a sticky and getting peoples’ opinions. I’m not sure there is a specific need for a women’s forum – each time I take a look at the Dirt Rag or old Shecycles sites they seemed pretty quiet compared to here and I think there are enough regular female posters on here so that no-one need feel in a minority. Sure, there are some unpleasant comments/threads that have me reaching for the log-out button but I’m never away for long and I’d like to think that most folks on here are genuine.

Oh and Brant . . . consider yourself lambasted . . . again 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My 2 p worth – I haven’t read the whole thread so forgive me if its been said before – a womans forum on here would be continually invaded by testosterone laden boys being a nuisance. I can only see a womans only forum working if its a totally separate site.

I am not fond of ghettoisation anyway. an over 40’s forum?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

and a catholic’s forum!!”

jacksta
    Free Member

I agree with Jennyh. MTBing is one of the few sports (like snowboarding) where all your mates can go out together and thats part of the appeal. I dont expect the guys I ride with to change my flats or get my bike out of the car for me, I’d like to think I was there on equal terms with any one of our mates, I hope I’m not dreaming!

no ladies forum needed 🙂

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Actually, if we can talk about hair straighteners, fashion, shoes and skin products in there, then I’d probably qualify as a woman.

Olly
    Free Member

another body agreeing with what jacksta said.

my (now ex, bitch) would never want me to treat her any differently from the rest of the guys i ride with, and if she did she wouldnt get it anyway, its not what its about i dont think.

if the laaaadies want a “girls only” area, then great, but i doubt any questions they had would get as good a range of answers, advice and suggestions?

if a woman has a question for women specifically, like something to do with saddles, or whatever it is that makes them any different from blokes :s, then whats wrong with titling the post “question for the ladies”
    though they might miss out on passed down useful information from WAGs of frequent posters?

watly_biker
    Free Member

I don’t think we need a seperate forum for women – my first thought being how many joke opportunities we would present for the blokes !
    Seriously very often I am laughing rather than being offended and have found most people helpful, I like that there are not divisions on the forum.
    There are a lot more blokes into biking and I found I have got much more detailed responses to requests for advice than on shecycles – geeks maybe but helpful ones with lots of opinions!!
    Brant – I see your point about wifes and girlfriends but I doubt many of them are on here – its just the women who have loved biking all their lives like me !

BadlyWiredDog

I can accept that some women find an all-female environment more supportive and a forum that caters for that need is fine by me. Whether STW is the best place for it, I don’t really know. I suspect it’d sit slightly uneasily with the rest of the forum. There’s a lot of sexist drivel on here, but then that’s because the place is mostly populated by retarded internet nerds who haven’t quite grasped that women are just people with minor biological differences. Perhaps it’s time for them, the retarded nerds to have a dedicated forum of their own. We could call it Singletrackworld. Oh…

Mark

Thanks for the input everyone. For now we are going to hold off introducing a womens’ forum after reading the views here and on email. I’m going to unsticky this thread now but feel free to continue the discussion 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Well to be honest due to my size/shape weight, it’s more useful for me to have ladies’ opinions than blokes one…

miketually
    Free Member

10% of all posts should be from women on here

How do you know which posts are from women and which are from men? Often, you can tell from the name, but there are probably more women posting here than you think.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Well to be honest due to my size/shape weight, it’s more useful for me to have ladies’ opinions than blokes one…

yeah, we always new you were a big girl 😉

juan
    Free Member

Mrsflash I am not sure the adjective big is appropriate 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Women’s forum? We want your feedback’ is closed to new replies.