Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Women's Cycling Survey – responses wanted
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Just a heads up to all women bikers / cyclists – British Cycling are asking for your input about why you ride (and the majority of women don't!) There's a short online survey here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/rec20100113-Have-Your-Say–Why-are-fewer-women-cycling–0

Oh, and I thought the responses choices were pants – mainly seemed to be focused on cycling to lose weight or barriers due to childcare – nothing about riding because you enjoy it! I just used the 'other' box so I could write in my own replies, but I thought the range of predetermined responses shows that British Cycling (as with most the biking organisations / industry) have a pretty stereotyped view of women, especially those of us who enjoy outdoor activites, but you don't find that kind of attitude with other active pursuits (like climbing)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bump

Mrs TJ filled it in but as you say rather stereotypical and no mention of commuting

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cheer Sue. Have filled it in, though totally agree about the pants response choices. I even had a little rant in the extra comments section 😀

At least they're thinking about it – even if they imo need to change the way they are!

Cooroo
    Free Member

That was rubbish, wasn't it? Seemed very unfocussed. I had to use 'other' too – what grim reasons for cycling… Reason most women don't ride off-road is probably because they don't enjoy getting muddy (or getting off their fat bums). Not much anyone can do about that.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I filled it in a while back and also had a big rant about it!! Not really 21st century and up with it hey!?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Reason most women don't ride off-road is probably because they don't enjoy getting muddy

is that really it ? It seems unfeminist to dismiss them on this basis!

crazy-legs

I think the problem is that the survey isn't aimed at women who DO currently cycle (especially not STW which is a real niche microcosm of cycling in this country), it's a survey that would be better in some of the lifestyle supplements of the Sunday papers aimed at the type of women who's excuses for not cycling ARE "I'll get muddy/It'll mess up my hair/I'm not fit enough" etc etc.

It's great that they're at least trying to address the issue – a few structured responses from people on here can only help.

Karinofnine

I filled it in, by using the 'other'. It obviously hasn't occurred to them that people cycle because they like it!

SFB – The main questions from non-cycling women I work with:

1 What happens when it rains?
    2 It's freezing – aren't you cold?
    3 Isn't it slippery? No, I'll going to ride off-road – you know, on bridleways and other public rights of way. This gets a completely blank look. I don't think many people ever look at a map or consider even walking let alone cycling.
    4 Aren't you frightened by the cars?
    5 Doesn't it make you tired though?

From my cousin (who is a man) – doesn't want to get sweaty, no showers where he works.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Good point Crazy-legs, I left my contact details so am hoping they might contact me for further thoughts, ideas, but we'll see. Like you say – at least they're trying to address the issue.

Karinofnine – sad but true…

Sue_W
    Free Member

You're right crazy legs – the most important thing is that they are now looking at the issue and trying to do something about it. I think the survey is a bit mixed though about whether it is for 'women who currently ride', or 'women who have never ridden'. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this (like mountain monkey I left my details so I hope they keep us posted).

Maybe it would be good to invite some women from a (probably European!) country where a lot of women do cycle over to the UK to see if they can shed some light on what the differences are? Cos the issue of very few women cycling actually isn't the case in the majority of Eurpoean countries – it's a particularly UK thing!

Actually I did notice one thing last night – 'Climber' magazine's front cover was of a woman, and had almost an equal number of images of women throughout – I think picked up the pile of biking / cycling magazines that lurk around our house and found the most any of them had was 2 (small) pictures of women biking or cycling … mmmm … why is this? And could this increased media profile be one of the reasons why the BMC found in their last survey that the biggest increase in climbing participation was by women (which takes away all the arguements about women not doing outdoor pursuits because it's risky / wet / time committing etc)?

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Maybe it would be good to invite some women from a (probably European!) country where a lot of women do cycle over to the UK to see if they can shed some light on what the differences are?

The Darlington Cycling Campaign did exactly that, with great success. They make the distinction between cycling as a means of transport and as a leisure pursuit, though, which the BCF's survey doesn't do. Mountain biking is perceived as an adrenaline sport and consequently there's a whole extra level of biological and psychological differences which affect the female attitude to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Women's Cycling Survey – responses wanted’ is closed to new replies.