Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Women's cycling etc…….
  • alexathome
    Free Member

A brief look at the w/kg rating of cycling etc would put the top women of cycling on a w/kg ratio equivalent to a ‘world class international pro’ male on FTP.

I don’t think that this is right. If it were true then they would surely climb as fast as men, but I’ve never seen any evidence of this. I would put a women’s road race (ie the worlds) on par with watching a mens cat 1/2 race tops. However the bike handling is always a little more suspect in women’s road race’s.

please discuss, I’ll just go and get myself some biscuits.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Women have their make up and hair to think about. If they went faster it would mess it all up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the bike handling is always a little more suspect in women’s road race’s.

yes but the bikes are always so clean and pretty
    Surely a troll has a lady to fetch the biscuits for him

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Oh my – boys talking with authority on ladies, let me sit hear quietly like a good girl I may learn something amazing. . . . .

alexathome
    Free Member

That’s fine, but stay away from the biscuits.

They’ll go straight to your hips.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oh my – boys talking with authority on ladies, let me sit hear quietly like a good girl I may learn something amazing. . . . .

[Victorian values] Get back in the kitchen! [/victorian values]

alexathome
    Free Member

A moment on the lips! He’s right you know.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Its ok im so hormonal im currently devouring a kilo of dairy milk, I will only resort to the biscuits when my delicate female self esteem has been completely obliterated by all you clever, masculine masters of all things

j450n
    Free Member

Settle down poppet 🙂

cookeaa

[video]http://youtu.be/LS37SNYjg8w[/video]

alexathome
    Free Member

Aren’t kittens fluffy!

cookeaa

I watched some of yesterday’s road race and thought they were quite impressive, the number who battled on after the big pileup tells you it’s much more than a hobby in between knitting and child rearing…

Women not quite as fast as men shocka! They’re still all much faster than me…

alexathome
    Free Member

True, they are good – granted. At the top end. But they are not as fast as men up the hills. The ‘chart’ is wrong. They have not got the watts/kg of men – only up to a a cat 1/2 level I’d say. If you stuck lizzie armistad in with a a bunch of cat 1/2’s I think that she may hang on in the climbs, but in in the pro ranks – not a chance.

Just an observation, on where they stand and the ideas as to the reasons why, smaller lungs, hearts etc? Just curious as when you look at Paula Radcliffe, she’s not far off the men, but women road riders are a big chunk lower. Just wondering why, tis all.

oldnpastit

Less money spent on them?

alexathome
    Free Member

Why would that affect them?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Maybe the shocking dual standards in terms of pay and the need for some women pro roadies to have to partly finance themselves with jobs in the off season means they can’t afford the sophisticated ‘ahead of the testers’ doping strategies employed by the whining, overpaid men.

Just a thought.

By the way, I actually find all the sexist ‘jokes’ and ‘banter’ really sad when I read posts here. You wouldn’t make pseudo-ironic or ‘tongue-in-cheek’ jokes about black people, so why do it about women?

I’m a bloke by the way if that matters.

qwerty
    Free Member

Demz silli wimminz, dey tinks da EPO is dat Evening Primrose Oils, dey gots it all wongz.

alexathome
    Free Member

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

By the way, I actually find all the sexist ‘jokes’ and ‘banter’ really sad when I read posts here. You wouldn’t make pseudo-ironic or ‘tongue-in-cheek’ jokes about black people, so why do it about women?

I cannot pseak for others but i was mocking the OP not women and I agree with your sentiment

Very few women cycle and there are very few women on here

Shit like this does not help.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Beryl Burton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton#Record-breaker

In 1967, she set a new 12-hour time trial record of 277.25 miles[3] – a mark that surpassed the men’s record of the time by 0.73 miles and was not superseded by a man until 1969.[4] While setting the record she caught and passed Mike McNamara who was on his way to setting the men’s record at 276.52 miles and winning that year’s men’s British Best All-Rounder. She is reputed to have given him a liquorice allsort as she passed him.[5] Apparently, McNamara ate the sweet.

cinnamon_girl

Oh dear, sounds as though the OP’s hen-pecked and is venting his frustrations on here. 😐

Poor love.

alexathome
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm, weird observation. Just wondering why when women can achieve at such high levels. Radcliffe, Wellington etc………… Why can’t they in cycling. Running and tri are underfunded, even compared to women’s cycling – so why the disparity?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cant achieve what? Did you watch the race?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Its a sport thats been white male dominated and focused for so long – women are not supported as much so can’t be expected to reach their full potential as often.

as for triathlons and amateur events I know many men who can devote a large pecent of their time to their sport but fewer women, most of my friends into any sport have to fit it in around their kids, a significant number of men I know through mountain biking are childless (and many womanless)

Its going to be an interesting few years in road riding now it is taking off in africa, just because the white male has dominated the soort for so long it does not mean he is the best suited to it . . .

alexathome
    Free Member

Cant achieve what? Did you watch the race?

Same rate of accent on the climbs.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Its going to be an interesting few years in road riding now it is taking off in africa, just because the white male has dominated the soort for so long it does not mean he is the best suited to it . . .

Indeed. Could be the only white dominated sport will end up being swimming.

maxtorque

No idea, but here’s a massive cute kitten pic to make up for my lack of knowledge:

😉

slowoldman

alexathome – Member
    A brief look at the w/kg rating of cycling etc would put the top women of cycling on a w/kg ratio equivalent to a ‘world class international pro’ male on FTP.

Could we see the data?

What would w/kg be including the bike – which (massive generalisation ahead) makes up a larger percentage of the all up weight for a woman than for a man?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sounds like someone needs to watch Half the Road: http://halftheroad.com

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Women's cycling etc…….’ is closed to new replies.