Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wolf Tooth or bontrager dropper remote
  • stevie750

The remote on my brand-x dropper is beginning to get a bit wobbly so am going to replace it. Wolf tooth looks nice but is a bit pricey, bontrager is a lot less but does look a bit cheaper.

Anybody got experience of both?

What would you recommend?

andykentos
    Free Member

I have the wolftooth remote on my reign, works beautifully. Building up a ragley bluepig as we speak and just today ordered the brand x dropper from wiggle for 106 euros. Planning on upgrading the remote before i even build it up. Well worth the money. Not too expensive from some german websites at the moment.

I think its awesome.

woody2000

No experience of both, but I do have the Bonty lever on my KS Lev. It’s much better than the KS lever, by a bloody mile – much easier to use in the shifter position, and the bigger lever makes it easier to push. Looks perfectly fine to me, but then I’m generally not one to spend any time visually comparing dropper levers 😉

otsdr
    Free Member

BikeYoke Triggy replaced my KS SouthPaw (which replaced the default “lightweight” one). An option to consider if you can’t find the Wolftooth in stock.

northerntom
    Free Member

i have a bontrager one and it’s great.

momo

I haven’t used the bonty lever, but have got a wolftooth lever hooked up to a fox transfer, I’ve got exactly the same setup on order for my new bike now too. I really like that I can mount the ReMote to my hope tech3 levers too.

joebristol

How has anyone running the bontager lever with the brand X ascend got round fitting the cable at the post end?

I think the bontrager post clamps the cable at the lever rather than the post?

matt_outandabout

I looked to buy this last week one of those for my Trans X / Brand X post on the Marin.

Instead I went down the ‘old front shifter’ route (having three spare SLX or XT front shifters in the spares box). I am no rocking an XT dropper post lever, after less than 20 mins of faffing. I wish I had done it before – it is rock solid, and only a couple of grammes more than the lever it replaces.

kimbers

joebristol – Member
    How has anyone running the bontager lever with the brand X ascend got round fitting the cable at the post end?

I think the bontrager post clamps the cable at the lever rather than the post?

looks to me like it swings both ways, nice

joebristol

So you could set it up with the gear cable knob thing at that lever end instead of the bare cable end?

I might order one of these as it’s cheaper than a replacement brand x / has a metal lever / seems easier to get hold of.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bonty works well, feels good, costs little. Only drawback is that it’s a lot heavier than the Fox it replaced.

joebristol

Ordered the bonti one – the brand x one is out of stock in most places and more expensive. Fingers crossed he bonti one works.

howdoo
    Free Member

bonty remote with either a fox transfer and brand x works great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i got the bonty one . it nice. bolted straight onto a brand x no faffing didnt even have to change the cable !

joebristol

Trail rat – sounds great. Did you keep the cable he same way round with the cable clamped at the post end up the knobby bit of the cable at the lever end then?

poah
    Free Member

use the bike yoke triggy on my reverb.

jabbi
    Free Member

I have a Bontrager lever on a Pro post (rebranded Trans-X/Brand-X) works well and feels nicer than the original. I just cut the end off the cable and clamped it at both ends, works fine.

akira

I’ve got a Race Face/Easton one which is very good, got mine cheap ages ago.

joebristol

Looks like raceface make 2 remotes – the aefect ones looks identical to the brand x one – only way more expensive to buy. The turbine one looks nice though – but over £50 when the Bonti one is under £20.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No the brandx takes a cable head in the seat post .

Then you clamp it at the lever

joebristol

Trail rat – my brand x isn’t like that. The head is in the lever and the loose end is at the post – it is clamped into a little round bit of metal which sits in a cradle at the bottom of the post.

Mines a mk1 ascend rather than the current one so maybe they’ve changed it?

kimbers

Looks like raceface make 2 remotes – the aefect ones looks identical to the brand x

That’s coz the brandx/transx/aefect post are the same

joebristol

Just raceface charge double the cost for the same lever it seems…..

akira

The raceface turbine one is good , I had one of the brand X ones. It never felt nice and then bent just from the force of being used.

bentudder

I picked up the Bonty one from my local shop at the weekend for my Giant post. It looks basicish – forged rather than machined lever – but it also seems pretty nicely made. I’d love a wolf tooth one, but need new tyres at the moment as well.

I imagine you could make it work with the other way round (ie clamp at the post end) by just cutting the head off. If the lever on my Brand X on the other bike fails and the bounty works out well, it’s probably what I’ll do.

The Bontrager also comes with a cable and a barrel that the cable head fits into. I’ll check if it fits the actuator on my Brand X next time I pull it out of the bike.

joebristol

Yeah, the raceface turbine looks nice in the pictures online. Just £50 for a dropper remote is more than I’m willing to pay.

I’ll have to make the Bonti one work – I figure it should be ok one way or the other.

Got dispatched almost instantly when I ordered it yesterday from triton Cycles so maybe tell arrive today or tomorrow. Won’t have time to fit it until the weekend though unfortunately.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only hickup I’ve run into is while fitting to my wife’s KS eten

I found the post lever is not sprung ….. But the KS lever is.

Therefore it would not return reliably with the bonty lever

matt_outandabout

I was well chuffed win my bodge job last night – mine is of the XT variety.

Like this. Sprung return and all.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/mountain/how-not-to-convert-an-old-shimano-shifter-into-a-dropper-post-switch/

joebristol

Ah, hadn’t thought about that. Not sure if the brand X lever is sprung or not.

fathomer

Brand X lever isn’t sprung. We’ve got two in the house, one internal with the original lever and one external with a bonty lever. The bonty lever is much nicer!

warpcow
    Free Member

My Brand X XL lever is sprung, but only very, very lightly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats on my list to do with an old XT shifter once i get back from the puffer…

by old i mean ……mid 90s its an m739….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wolf Tooth or bontrager dropper remote’ is closed to new replies.