Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Woke up one morning and cant walk.
  • TheSwede
    Free Member

Looks like I'm about to be diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. One day out on the bike and the next day in agony. Some days I struggle to even stand. It's only been two weeks now and it's early days but it seams to have taken a firm hold on me. I'm 34 and have always been fit, healthy and into physical hobbies. Never had any serious health problems before and it's beginning to hit home now that I may have to pack up biking, running, climbing, weights etc. I'm not whinging as I know there are people out there / on here with far more serious issues with their lives but wondering if anyone on here has any experience with RA.

theotherjonv

mate at work has something similar (might not be RA exactly but it's a related condition from what he told me)

He ran the Cologne marathon one sunday in just over 4 hours, after tonnes of training. The next day he couldn't walk, which he thought was odd given the preparation he'd done – he expected to be a bit stiff and sore but not that bad. But he basically didn't improve much over the next few days.

The german docs (he was ex-pat) at the time were brilliant finding the right treatment / drugs. But then when he came back the local NHS trust initially refused the same drugs because they were not on the NICE list and because he hadn't been resident for some years as he fell foul of some sort of legislation to prevent immigration just for the purpose of getting medical care. Eventually they relented and now he is symptom free and plays 5-a-side every week with no issues.

I'm not back at work for another week but will ask him what his condition is if it helps at all. Good luck

matt_outandabout

🙁

mboy
    Free Member

Mate, that's a real shitter!

Hadn't realised it could be that bad when you texted me… Just thought it would be some tendon damage or something, a pain true, but something that would pass in a few weeks or something…

Only person I know who had RA was my Grandmother, but she only got it in her 70's… And I was only 11 when she died anyway.

Hoping it ain't too serious and that you get well soon mate… Gotta get you back on a bike soon, at least before your right forearm starts to resemble Popeye's anyway! 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

Its starting to get into my elbows and wrists now so It could inhibit my most enjoyable past time too 🙄

cb

Is it AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis)? That's what I was diagnosed with about two years ago. One of many types of RA. This was after clueless GPs advising "rest", then physio etc etc. Went private in the end and got diagnosed within a week (including waiting for the blood tests and MRI results).

Mine started in the hip area (sacroilliac sp) joints and now affects ankles, chest wall and a finger. You can exercise to alleviate some of the pain (cycling and swimming help – running is a big no no). You have to get used to taking meds every day and being 'stiff' in the morning (insert joke).

I was similar in that I have always been active and it hit me suddenly and about your age. More common in men that women and younger men especially. If that is what you have, read up as your GP might not be much help (mine wasn't at all). Its not the end of the world but you do begin to feel your dad's age!

ski
    Free Member

cb – my mate has suffered with AS for the last 10 years or so, he has recently been on a new American drug(last 3 months) it has transformed him, helped no end with the pain & brought relif to his joints and spine.

All I know is that its expensive, NHS were in two minds about funding it for him, can find out what its called if you are interested?

TheSwede
    Free Member

CB
    I've only just been referred to the rheumatologist and am awaiting the consultation so I still really have no idea of the correct diagnoses. My GP was useless and first thought it may be a virus as I had a sore throat that particular weekend. I hope he's right but everything I've read and my blood tests point to RA. It started in both my achilles tendons then to my whole ankle, heels, backs of knees, hips and it's just starting to affect my arms now.
    Ski
    Very interested. Thanks.

Drac

I've been like that a few times but usually from too much drink the night before.

Hope it's not serious and your sorted soon, a swede that don't do outdoor activities in no swede.

mboy
    Free Member

Its starting to get into my elbows and wrists now so It could inhibit my most enjoyable past time too

Gutted!

You gonna have the op to take a couple of ribs out on each side then? 😉

Oddly enough, been having some real tendon gip in my left foot recently, it got to the point where I could hardly stand up let alone walk, but riding the bike has helped it loads. Suspect that's probably not an option for you though mate. Hope for your sake it's not too severe and it's easily treatable…

theotherjonv

ski and CB

I think that's what my mate has. 'American wonder drug' sounds similar to what he was given in Germany that transformed him. Will check.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Went out on the road bike for a pootle around the block on one of my not so bad days and I felt worse the next day. That could just be coincidence as it's severity varies day to day but the last few days it's been agony. Waits for the first MTFU. 😉

cb

Ski / otherjonv – very interested to hear about those drugs. Grateful for the info – email in profile if that helps.

Swede – if you have AS, it does have good and bad periods (flares). There will still be times when you feel pretty good! Just work on your flexibility and keep stretching (said in a do what I say rather than what I do fashion!).

Best of luck.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Hi
    My mother had RA, developed when she was about 36 and misdiagnosed as gout for a couple of years until the rheumatologist diagnosed RA. She died a couple of years ago and by the end she had the worst case of RA I've ever seen and I work in the NHS.
    Everyone's experience of the disease is individual, some people suffer acute flare ups and then remissions whereas others (my Mam) have a steady and unremitting progression of the bastard disease.
    There are several classes of drugs that can be used in the control of RA but they often have fairly, potential serious side effects that may require fairly often monitoring.
    Good luck, sorry if this post is a bit doom and gloom.

TheSwede
    Free Member

sprootlet
    No thanks, any information gladly received.

Drac

The cold spell will be making it worse and then there's punishment for riding a road bike.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

You need a diagnosis, hope you don't have to wait too long to see the rheumatologist.

Some light reading for you.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rheumatoid_arthritis/article_em.htm

The posts above about "wonder drugs" are probably referring to Infliximab.

hockropper

I've heard that Celadrin tablets are good for Arthritis, I took them as a painkillers as they don't have side effects

TheSwede
    Free Member

slw
    Read some of that the other week. Made me want to throw a rope up in the barn so I closed it quick and opened up another…

nonk
    Free Member

ygm.

sheldona
    Free Member

Cheesey said last night you were bad, had no idea it was like this when you mentioned it last week mate. It could be elephantitious? you are weird!!

You know where I am if you need to pop round for a coffee etc……. Fingers crossed for you bud.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Have a read on tinternet, I am sure that there are some foods and stuff like red wine that can aggravate it. Try cutting out those foods and it may help a bit.

-m-
    Free Member

My other half was diagnosed with RA about 5 years ago. She started off complaining of joint stiffness in the mornings which got progressively worse. Once diagnosed she was prescribed methotrexate which left her pretty much symptom-free. Methotrexate is, however, fairly unpleasant stuff so regular blood tests were required to try and maintain a reasonable balance.

Once the drugs kicked in she was able to continue her lifestyle as before – running, cycling etc.

The above is past tense as her RA symptoms subsided around 18 months ago and she came off the methotrexate. Unfortunately she's started getting some pain / stiffness again recently so looks like it could be making a return.

From the different responses above (and the stuff you'll find on-line) you'll see that there are many manifestations of RA and each sufferer's experiences will vary – but don't automatically assume that it's going to be unmanageable.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll let you know what the rheumatologist says.

gazman
    Free Member

the swede, have you had any flu like symptoms with this? is your lwer back aching too?

stever
    Free Member

Whoa there. Perspective – you've not seen the rheumatologist yet. Could be all sorts. It might take a little while to sort out. I was in your boat a few years back. Uncertaintly is bad, makes you anxious, makes everything worse. I've had some long nights of pain and sleeplessness and not being able to stand up. Now I've got a genetic disorder and some occasional meds and a pretty active lifestyle …Three Peaks cx in Sept, I could probably run a marathon tomorrow (whoop-di-whoo!). Early days man, don't stress.

TheSwede
    Free Member

gazman
    No mate, no flu symptoms. Feel fit as a fiddle, maybe a little bit weaker than usual but definitely not flu like. Lower back has started to ache this morning though.
    stever
    I do keep telling my self this. When I did Muai Thai, I was knocked out once. Only once though 😉 and suffered head aches for six months after. Had an mri scan which was all clear and the next day, head aches gone. Worrying about it definitely makes the situation worse. Perspective wise, I can't stand up some days which I feel is something to worry about. Fingers crossed, I have just over done things or picked up something nasty but blood tests show very a high rheumatoid factor which at the moment is only indicative of RA. Point taken though.

votchy
    Free Member

Ry,

sorry to hear this mate, hope everything works out ok for you as it won't be as much fun travelling to the trail centres and everyone getting round without breaking their bike 😉

Mark

IHN

MTFU

However, seriously, all the best fella.

Actually, no, I was right the first time. MTFU 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

votchy
    Cheers mark. You'll have to take up looking after laney's bike for me for a while.
    IHN
    Sound's like I still could have whipped you on the massive ride. I mean walking, behind riggsy, on a gf ss. Oh dear. X

sheldona
    Free Member

I mean walking, behind riggsy, on a gf ss

That ejit couldn't ride a SS, its a fake!!! Alfine Pahhh

X

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ah ha. The cheating swine. 😉

IHN

I mean walking, behind riggsy, on a gf ss.

And I wasn't walking, I was pedalling. Just slowly 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

lying wont help you now si 😀

hitman
    Free Member

the swede
    just read yr post and it does sound awful 🙁 I've spent almost three years with a number of injury problems which the medical profession found difficult to identify/agree on. This massively affected me and my lifestyle. My biggest mistake was not remaining positive – I know this might sound trite, but you need to stay as positive as possible and don't give up the things you love.
    Good luck 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

I thought I had that it turned out to be a very knotted right
    Hamstring.
    First of all the NHS Physio stretched me and within an hour
    could'nt walk I had violent shooting pains from hip down my leg
    il go back and the same again within minutes.
    they tried Acu puncture and still no joy.

I went private and within 15 mins he told me I had a very knotted
    right Hamstring and was causing the lower muscle to lay on my
    Siatic Nerve
    Apparantly very common with cyclists has we use only certain muscles
    in our body.
    I have to cross train to strengthen leg and back muscles as cyclists
    we are always in leaning over the bars and not using all our back muscles to.

I dont think you have arthritis as this dont hit you over night.

My pain hit me over a period of Three days then could not walk
    First of all I had small nigley pains to the back of the top part
    of my right leg.
    Then it was just hell and I mean hell, they call it the Peroformis
    something like that.
    With the right treatment takes about 8 weeks to get rid of
    but after that I just do Cross train now and keep stretching
    both Hamstrings day and night.
    Also get a back scan too.
    Also take Iburophen or Asprin it relaxes the nerve

Travis

whats this new drug for AS then?
    my Dad has had it for over 20 years now, would love to see him out and about a bit

TheSwede
    Free Member

Went for a pootle around my local tracks this morning after hobbling to the shed to get the bike out. I can ride a bike at a gentle pace no probs at all once I can walk about and get shoes on etc, apart from clipping out is very painful, oh and falling off is a big no no but I never do that any way 😉 Mentally though this has made me feel much less coffin bound and really brightened up my day. Woo hoo, roll on joy riders in spain in march 😯

brianj
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that your still suffering,
    However difficult just try and keep mentally positive,
    More of that thinking from on your last post, I,m sure will help

gazman
    Free Member

swede does this problem ease as you do more? i.e. walking around/moving

google sarcoidosis see if any of these are similar to your symptoms if so a course of steroids might be all you need, mate

good luck

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Woke up one morning and cant walk.’ is closed to new replies.