• This topic has 39 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Jase.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Woburn new bits
  • Blurboy
    Free Member

Anyone else notice the new trails at Woburn? Someone's been busy!

grahamt1980

Saw some new stuff in the play area towards the bottom of the mini dh runs. Looked like some monster jumps. Will go back and explore properly soon

halfbee
    Free Member

whereabouts?

Blurboy
    Free Member

Monster jumps in playground been there a couple of weeks, don't fancy those personally but if you climb what we know as 'Double step' at the top (51.99566N, 0.64435W)and to the right there is a new track. From other direction, from the Woburn Sands to Woburn road up the track with the cottage on the right over the shingle bit…climb up and to the left there are some tracks down(51.9974N, 0.63927W) ..there were a couple, now there is at least 4 and the one that links to the top of double step is brill really tight singletrack for about half a mile.

halfbee
    Free Member

I'm not 100% certain where you mean, I'll explore on Thursday starting at Fullers Earth Lodge.
    my woburn map

grahamt1980

In the jump site on the map, the top of the gorse run.
    Just don't go down the gorse run at the moment unless you have a full set of armour plating. We tried a week or so ago and got ripped to pieces

Curly68
    Free Member

Haven't been to Woburn for about 6 years! My kids are now riding (hence the layoff) and would love to take them there. Is it still rideable for families up the top end?

Blurboy
    Free Member

Hi HB…like the map. The area you need is ..on the map head left to right along Tippy Tucker (we call the snake) this ends skirting around with the ponds to your left and climb up – we call the climb double step general heading towards the start of Tight and Spikey. To the south of Tight and Spikey there is a green dotted track. The new run is south of that in the area mostly bordered by the double dotted tracks. The cottage I mentioned is at the bottom of the gorse run. You should also check out the Roller coaster area – there are at least 3 good runs down there now.

Curly 68..saw a 2 year old in the playground on sunday having fun – something for everyone i guess.

ampthill

I think you can start at any age but you'll need to give it a bit of thought

when my son was either on a 14" or 16" whell bike it all seemed a bit to much. A friend has taken his son on a bike that small and got on fine, although he was scarred

My daughter on a 20" whell bike was fine

Now its just moans about the up hill bits….

halfbee
    Free Member

Cool thanks.

It's definitely called Trippy Tucker trail – theres a sign at the start 😉

Blurboy
    Free Member

HB – tried a link to this site, hope it works – this is the route we did on sunday. The new sections should be obvious from this.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=420791

halfbee
    Free Member

Is it the track running diagonally down the hill towards Fullers Earth lodge (the cottage)?

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Blurboy, when you say you rode them on Sunday, was that with the Cyclone club?

I'll have to check these out at the weekend, nice one.

ampthill

the every trail link looks quite interesting but i'm stuch looking at a tiny window, even in full screen mode?

any sugestions

oldgit
    Free Member

The trails off to the left of the climb from the lodge go through stages of coming and going i.e they grow over in the Spring and virtually disapear. However at least two of the decents are now in common use linking the upper and lower BW's.
    As for the gorse I go there once a year and cut it back, but didn't this year.
    There are definately larger numbers out these days, last night for instance was very busy.
    As for the play area, well that's not my cuppa tea, but I know it's being looked after now.
    Moving across the A5 there is a rumour that more trails will soon be open near Stockgrove.
    And finally remember, disagree or not it's a permit area owned by the Duke of Bedford Estates, and there are people that will need only the tiniest excuse to send in the bulldozers.

lyons
    Free Member

Those new jumps at the bottom are huge. Its scary just thinking about doing them. I'll be going up there again soon, but may give them a miss…

Blurboy
    Free Member

Ampthill- try going to the Everytrail web site directly – you can search for 'Woburn new bits' (When I click on the link I get an option on full screen which does work).

Jase – no we don't ride with Cyclone just 3 or 4 of us that have been riding together for a few years. Normally meet at the bottom of the hill in Bow Brickhill about 8.30 on a Sunday. I would bet Cyclone know where these tracks are though

oldgit
    Free Member

N-N-B with his massive tool in hand clearing the Woburn gorse on the climb from the lodge to the play area.
    My tools far bigger BTW 😉
    EDIT otherside of the road actually, all flattened now.

ampthill

Thanks Blur boy that was interesting

I think I've ridden most of that

best bit was the climbing stats. 4,5oo feet of climbing in 17.5 miles WOW

oldgit
    Free Member

Jase
    Are you out again Sunday? I'll be heading over to Woburn on the cross bike again. Or this afternoon for a short workout on the MTB.

Halfbee, you map is handy because I have had a few senior moments with the names. In particular the High & Dry/Ditches singletrack we christened that the Trek trail in 1998 when some demos were going on for them so that's usefull. I think the other one is Tight 'n' spikey? we refer to that as the heather Run (you can see the time we spent picking names shows)

It'll be interesting if we can get something out of the Rushmere side now the lands been sold.

oldgit
    Free Member

Guys trying to find this again, taken about 2002

oldgit
    Free Member

showerman
    Free Member

now that is on the church side behind the golf course

oldgit
    Free Member

Right, by Back Wood then. I found it odd we haven't ridden it for years so I'm assuming it's pretty boggy.

A little addition to the list of names has to be 'The Moat' part of the old Danesborough fort. Though not long by any means, it's great for first timers as you decend into the first section of the moat and roll to the lip of the main decent so you are commited without being able to see where you are about to go.

kerv
    Free Member

was ok over there last time we rode it, that was about three weeks ago though. The weather has been a bit on the wet side since!

Jase_MK
    Free Member

oldgit, will be out tomorrow morning (as most Sundays) although I think I might be taking out a friend who doesn't ride much so probably won't join the club ride this weekend.

Is that The Moat then? I'd heard it mentioned but wasn't sure where it was. I know that double descent though, fun.

BTW, I'm Jase_MK, not Jase who I believe is another Woburn rider that you probably know. I'm sure we've had this confusion before… 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Oh bugger another senior moment 😳

The pics not the Moat, but the double decent thing you mention probably is.
    Since this post went up I've been looking at some riding pics from around Woburn taken over the last ten years, the errosion is amazing.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Indeed it is. Used to ride there a lot in the mid 90s and only really started going back there regularly this year and the difference is amazing

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Top of that second descent after the lip:

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you the guy that's snapped a few Spesh's?

oldgit
    Free Member

Jase & MK Nick if youre reading this I would like a meet on Sunday. Just had a on/off road training session and the conditions are pretty good,off for a session on the Turbos now to warm down.
    Steady/chatty pace would be nice, or a quick two hour fast one but nowt too hard.

ampthill

Well I went out a couple of ours ago and using blurboys map "in my head" did the trail below the ditches trail for the first time since the early 90's.

We are really lucky to have a wood as good as this down South

Jase
    Free Member

Oldgit – Yep me, Rich and Mk Nick meeting at runners at 9am.

Saw Paul up there today and Andy last week – both seemed interested in riding again so perhaps you can entice them out?

BTW chatty pace is good 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Cool
    I'm meeting Andy at Stockgrove for 8am.
    We're still both running Racing Ralphs should be fun

oldgit
    Free Member

Had a go on the new trail, which is very nice and basically gives you a man made trail from the start of Trippy Tucker to Fullers Lodge. It'll be great when it firms up a bit, speaking as someone who came off on it today but I blame the five year old racing Ralphs I've got on 🙄
    Lucky with the weather as well, three hours of blue sky before the heavens opened.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

From the start of trippy tucker to fuller's lodge? As in starting at the carpark at the bottom? Can't picture where this goes. I'm going back out tomorrow afternoon so would like to try and find this.

Went up this morning and spent an hour and a half riding in a downpour 🙁

Jase
    Free Member

Yes, carpark where the horse boxes usually park.

The trail from there that runs paralell to the bridleway and ends up by the swampy part.

From the swampy part you can go up to the start of the new section which then goes across the face of the hill and ends just before the cottage by the gate.

halfbee
    Free Member

The new trail is called Peacocks Pass (there's a sign up to prove it)

It starts on the top left of this stand of Pine trees and runs to bottom right.

Its a little soft as Carl points out but should end up good.

Hats off to Peacock for all his hard work.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Got ya, sounds cool. Fingers crossed for a break in the rain tomorrow.

Jase
    Free Member

Anyone else noticed that the bridge that goes across the small ditch in Back Wood where the northshore used to be has been dismantled?

Now have to tip toe across what parts remain!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Woburn new bits’ is closed to new replies.