Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Woburn conditions / route?
  • frogstomp

Staying up near MK next week so thought I’d check out Woburn and the surrounding area as it’s new to me. Can anyone local suggest a decent loop that’s going to be in a reasonable state at the moment – something ~15 miles maybe?

Ta!

gummikuh

The ground around Apsley woods is soft, but not sticky, but there is a lot of surface water lower down the hills.
    Very rooty and lots of wiggling through trees.
    You do need a permit to cycle, but there is a lot of bridleways that cross the area, which are obviously exempt, just if you go off piste!
    The Warden drives a dark green SWB Land Rover, and he will stop you, usually parked in the top car-park.

There is a jump area near the bottom of the main drag, if that is your thing, some of the mounds are a bit fearsome.
    There is a bike shop in Woburn Sands called Stripes in case of disaster!

When are you going up?

Trimix
    Free Member

Start at the top of Apsley Woods and just ride about – there are trails going off in every direction every few yards.

Its a small area bounded by roads, so you will only be lost for a few mins.

Its pointless trying to give you a route, you will be lost in 10 yards. Just pick ones that look interesting.

Mostly sandy / rooty / wooded singletrack – pretty weather proof.

Ive bumped into the warden once in 50 rides, but helpful if you have a fiver should you need to pay him. ( I do have a season ticket )

There is some very good singletrack there, not hard to find if you just ride about looking for it. Great fun.

frogstomp

Cheers, think we’re heading up Sunday morning and planning a quick ride in the afternoon.

Rigid SS-friendly, or better to have some gears / squish?

Jase
    Free Member

Whilst up there keep an eye out for a black(white chest) whippet/staff cross dog with a blue harness that went missing a few miles away earlier in the week and has been spotted in the area.

SS fine, used to have one as my only bike and ride up there a few times a week.

Trimix
    Free Member

Gears and Squish will make it flow faster. Its basically rooty, twisty and very up and down in a very small areas.

If you don’t have a dropper post you will end up buying one after riding round there.

gummikuh

Hardtail should be fine, but I think gears would be useful as some of the climbs are short sharp variety that can be difficult.

Legoman
    Free Member

I normally park in the layby on the A5130 just south of Woburn Sands
    There’s a gate there, go through & turn immediately right and there’s a nice stretch of single track parallel to the road. You’ll then need to cross the road further up (it’s obvious & there’s a map board to help get your bearings).

As said above, the ranger might be about (I’ve only ever seen him in a dark green pick up near the free ride area) & he’ll want a fiver, but at least you’ll be insured if you mangle yourself on one of the jumps!

Best bits (that I’ve found) are over towards the church & golf club side, but they’re harder to find – best to ask someone as it took me a few visits and a bit of guidance from someone to find them.

Don’t ride through the golf club though, they don’t like that. Apparently. Not that I’d do that.

maxtorque

Try and stay out of the boggiest lower bits of the back woods, as it’s a bit of messy down there at the moment. The normal sandier bits are riding and flowing fine 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Woburn conditions / route?’ is closed to new replies.