Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wobbly tyres!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Hi, this has prob been mentioned a few times on here before, im running a maxxis highroller 2 on the rear and a maxis minion 3c up front, i used to run tubeless on both but ive not been having much luck with it so ive gone back to tubes. Now ive recently had a brand new rim fitted on the rear and the front is 100% true so both true rims but now im back to tubes ive noticed a slight wobble on both tyres? now ive asked a few people and yes i have done the faery liquid and water trick all round my bead and on the rims and both wheels have popped onto the rim but they arnt 100% but they are not far off so i will make do for now. am i right in saying you can deform a tyre especially if you have been tubeless in the past because its easier to deform a tyre without a tube in or do you think the tyres have just stretched over time? i havent had the tyres long prob about 5 months if that, if anyone can shed some light on this please let me know as i want to know why this is happening on true rims, cheers!!

survivor

I have stretched/deformed tyres before. I think it was when they were tubeless and I punctured/burped them. Would never go back to normal. One of them would strangely puncture a tube each time I tried despite being thorn free. Binned that one. Lived with the others.

Your choice if you get your money’s worth out of it and put up with the wobble(can’t say it bothered me when riding, just looked odd) or bin it.

rickon
    Free Member

wheels have popped onto the rim but they arnt 100%

do you think the tyres have just stretched over time?

No. You’ve not mounted them correctly. They will be wobbly until they’re seated on the bead. If you dont seat them properly, you’ll start to wear through the sidewall with the rim, and eventually the tyre will split.

If they’re not popping on the rim with a tube, there’s too much friction on the rim bed, for the tyre to move across. Neat fairy liquid on rim bed will help, if you’ve not used it neat or on the bed, give it a go.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

rickon ive tried several times ive had them on and off god knows how much, they are both popping onto the rim and the line that runs along the side of the tyre near the rim seems right to me, it dosent move when i spin the tyre so that tells me its seated but ive tired several times now and with loads of faery liquid all over the tire and the rim! i just cant work it out, ive literally tried everything, even inflate a little and push it around and rolling it etc and still the same, very weird indeed

scotroutes

I’ve seen tyres with manufacturing defects that were wobbly and couldn’t be straightened. You’d notice that on first fitting though.

sillyoldman

Carcasses can stretch/partially tear if heavily loaded.

Got a 29×2.3 High Roller that did that on the 3rd ride – got a 10mm “tyre buckle”. Perfectly useable though.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

hmm there is a slight wobble on both tires i cant really do much about, as said above i haven’t had them long really but i wont be going tubeless again seems like too much hassle and work for what its worth and dosent make a huge amount of difference to the weight anyway, ill make do and run them to the ground before i get new ones, not worth spending all that money on new ones for a bit of wobble when i haven’t had them long, cheers anyway guys i was just curious as to why this was happening after following all the instructions i could!

devash
    Free Member

I’m currently running a Specialized Ground Control Grid on the rear of my full sus which has had a bit of a wobble. I would have taken it back but I was living abroad at the time and a relative brought it out to me when she visited so it wasn’t really an option.

I think its a moulding fault rather than any stretch damage since it has been like that since new. It hasn’t caused me any problems, I’ve never burped the tyre and its been fine running tubeless and previously tubed.

Potdog
    Free Member

I go through a lot of High Roller II’s on my rental bikes and must say there are a large proportion that have a bit of a wobble from new. I just put it down to moulding issues. Never caused a problem other than looking a bit odd, especially on the front where you tend to notice the “problem” more.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

true guys, ive been on a 30 mile ride today with them and i didnt notice a thing, i got a flat tyre on the back and had to change the tube but after i finished hand pumping it up it actully improved its wobble and became more true on the back end! i was like ehh?? oh well its got better at least, maby a handpump is better than using a track pump perhaps as its more slower as its going onto the rim? giving it more time to center? no idea lol weird! thanks puncture!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly tyres!’ is closed to new replies.