Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chipboard flooring: What adhesive?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

One thing we got wrong when building the barn 5yrs ago was that we didnt glue the chipboard flooring on the first floor. Screwed only.

The creaking has been bugging me ever since.

The weather is shit outside, so I’m turning to re-decorating. Along the way I’ve decided to lift the carpet in certain rooms/corridors, plunge cut the floor to joist tops around the perimeter, and re-lay the floor with an adhesive.

Since I’m only doing this ball-ache once, I want to use the daddy of all adhesives on it. Durable, and as flexible/unflexible as it needs to be, and long lasting.

So what brand/products should I be using on the joist tops and tongues of the 22mm chipboard?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

polyurethane wood glue is proper strong and expands to fill any void, so is good on wooden floors. I’ve used it on several wooden floors and they’ve been creak-free and solid

[this was between the chipboard and the oak T&G planks though, so a bit different to what you’re doing].

globalti
    Free Member

I agree with you about the annoying creaking. Whoever invented those boards needs to be strung up by the goolies with some ring-shank nails.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with glue along the joists. If you really want to though, a flexi adhesive and a bulk gun. But I don’t think it’s necessary. . .

For the T/g, a decent PVA would do – just put plenty in the groove and a bead along the tongue of the already laid board. Or a PU if you want to go the extra yard – a bit more flexible. Toolstation do a 30min one which I’ve used and it keeps everything nice and solid.

pk13

Pu glue don’t get it on anything you value.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you glue them you’ll be well annoyed if you ever need to lift them…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Egger d4. As supplied with pozi joists and the egger flooring. I can vouch you have no more than 15 mins on a warmish day to realign anything your not happy with…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

And if doing correctly continuous double bead on each joist where a board spans over it then you glue the groove and top edge of the tongue before knocking together.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers all.

very much going for belt and braces DD.

Permanence really isnt a problem due to how I laid out the services at first fit – any need to open up can be done from below far easier.

Thanks wrighty – I shall see if I can get the egger at my LBSS.

project
    Free Member
    nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

PVA

russ295
    Free Member
    wrightyson
    Free Member

What russ has posted above is the same stuff as the egger stoner. Just depends on who supplies the merchants. So that’s also an alternative.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’ll go in to Bradfords where I have an account and see if they have something like caber or egger. If not I’ll roll on to TP who stock egger.

Ta

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chipboard flooring: What adhesive?’ is closed to new replies.