Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • High Roller II. Burp, warp and wobble
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

Hi, I’m curious to know if this has happened to others. My year old HR2 burped on a relatively innocuous albeit rooty turn. Psi would’ve been about the 18-20 mark. Now the tyre appears misshapen or distorted and feels a little odd to ride. The rim is true. There is also a cut or crack around the base of one of the side knobs. The bead is slightly sunken at the affected point but only by a few mm. I’ve removed and reseated the tyre but the warping remains.
    Is the tyre heading for the bin or is there a trick to fix it?
    Thanks.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Happened to my HR2 a couple of months ago on one of the fast open descents at FOD. Was a little unsettling. I think it may have been a tired sidewall taking its last bend before giving up…still held air etc just felt a bit odd at the rear…! Binned when I got home though.

DeeW
    Free Member

Same happened to mine, ride it for a fair while after, didn’t get any worse, didn’t get any better. Had this happen to a couple of continental rubber queens, but this was first maxxis.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Mine had a wobble from new, maybe 5mm or so. Then last month it burped twice on a run down Aonach Mor, the second one leaving it properly twisted – still seated properly, but massively distorted such that it was unrideable, despite the rim still being perfect. It’s in the bin now.

boxxer7
    Free Member

had this happen to a brand new DHR2 3c last month, returned it on warranty and a new one has just arrived. About the 3rd tyre i have done it to now first time its happened on a maxxis.

deviant
    Free Member

Try running them with proper pressures, 18psi FFS and you wonder why it burped and deformed.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

had a wobble in my HR2 after sticking it back on, left it overnight at 40psi seems better now mostly gone since riding

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Had this with a Spesh Purgatory. I was running proper pressures.

johnhe

Why on earth run tubeless if not to use pressures like 18PSI? Perfectly decent pressure IMO. Around 20PSI is what I use all the time, unless I’m going to an uplift day, where I go all the way up to “rock hard” at around 30PSI.

deviant
    Free Member

At 18 psi it feels like I have a flat, I thought tubeless was about less weight, sealant to stop punctures, eliminating pinch flats etc….the craze for silly low pressures is just that, a craze…none of the racers spoken to in the WC pits or when Pinkbike do their EWS pit walk run pressures that low….it seems to be a comfort blanket for inept people who can’t ride properly without a squirmy tyre giving them a misplaced definition of ‘grip’

25 in the front, 28 in the back with or without tubes, let the tread of the tyre do the job it was designed to do without rolling about onto its sidewall.

richmtb

25 in the front, 28 in the back with or without tubes, let the tread of the tyre do the job it was designed to do without rolling about onto its sidewall.

Fair enough, seems like reasonable pressures but its pretty meaningless without knowing your relative weights or the volume of the tyres

18-20 psi might be fine on the front for a light rider on a fat front tyre

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Some crazy low pressures.

I Weigh a little over 150lbs and run 26 front 30 back in wet and more in dry.
    Casing roll is grim.

I ride smooth and aggressively.

boxxer7
    Free Member

My dhr2 was at 30psi when it happened, I’m 78kg it was pushing into a corner pretty hard admittedly and the tyre rolled.

jedi

i have had it one two hrs. one front then last week a rear

br
    Free Member

What width rim? As 18psi and a 2.4 tyre on a 19mm (width) rim will more likely burp/roll than a 2.1 tyre on a 25mm rim.

cakefacesmallblock

Had a similar thing happen with a shwobble Racing Ralph.
    Brand new. Fitted to rim evening prior, inflated to about 35 psi, checked it was seated evenly, left it overnight. Checked and reduced pressure to about 28 (rear) and went for a ride.
    About 8 miles in and on nothing obvious the bloody thing just exploded off the rim, not a burp at all. In fact I waited to die, as I thought I’d been shot.
    Stuck a tube in, got home, tried to get it back in use, but it was as though the wheel was way out of true, tyre had distorted so badly as to be unrideable.
    Bin and £30 later, bought new tyre.
    To be honest I just decided that Shwalbe tyres were rubbish. Oh well, probably wrong, but stuff like that causes brand loyalty , or otherwise, I guess.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I experienced this running a TR DHF at 20 psi on the rear of my hardtail. Got a drop wrong and twisted the carcass so bad it rubbed the seat stays. I saw it as user error and have not run as low psi since.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

We are all guilty of liking a good craze although I’m keeping it retro with my 26″ wheels.
    I’ve not punctured or noticed any squirm, roll or drag for the last 12 months of reasonably hard riding so I’m happy that the PSI is adequate. And I like that false sense of grip. It makes me faster.
    It’s the high end, maxxterra 3c Exo doo da 2.35 on an Easton Haven (no idea of its width). Either way I’ll be needing a new one if nobody has a simple fix.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘High Roller II. Burp, warp and wobble’ is closed to new replies.