• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wobbly freehub on a Hope XC wheel
  • eviljoe
    Free Member

Jst taken the wheel off and found rather a lot of play in the freehub- the cassette moves quite easily up and down- rather detrimental to the shifting… The cassette is on nice and tight, so I’m guessing it’s in the freehub itself- anyone know what it might be?

Are the bits easy to get a hold of?

Cheers

Joe

Speshpaul

Theres a good chance it will be a broken axles if its a lot of movement, might be knachered bearings, but i’d have a good look at the axle.

wwaswas

is it tight when it’s on the bike – there’s not an awful lot holding a hope xc hub together when unless it’s clamped in some dropouts?

Pieface

Aye, same happened here but substantial movement, in fact the cassette came away with the freehub attached. There is a risk its cheewed up your ratchet ring as well.

Speshpaul

Are the bits easy to get a hold of? yes. LBS CRC etc

Mackem

CRC sell the parts spare, some not due in stock till end of Feb.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like excessive play in the freehub body bearings to me.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Cheers guys-

better get the bloody thing open and take a look- is it fairly easy or do I need specific tools?

wwaswas

is it fairly easy

my experience is that once they’re off the bike the trick is keeping the blighters in one piece.

wrap a rag around the freehub when you pull it off or the springs and pawls will make a spirited bid for freedom…

Rio

Lots of guides/instructions on the internet e.g. http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/workshop/mbr_advice_article_276645.html. I seem to recall needing some considerable force to get the bearings off when I did it, and new axles seem to be out of stock at the moment so be careful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wobbly freehub on a Hope XC wheel’ is closed to new replies.