Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • WMB – Which winter boots have won?
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I believe Shimano MW80 and Specialized did well but a pair of boots resembling wellies have won?

Considering the MW80's on reputation + one size for thicky socks.

z1ppy

Lakes MX302 – always win for good reason.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Just seen a photo of the MX302's.

I'm no fashion victim but I won't be wearing a pair even if they're free!

aP
    Free Member

I'll have yours then.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I had the older model lakes about 5 years ago. Totally utterly bombproof. They were unfortunately, a size too small, so I sold them. They are now horrendously expensive, especially in the wide version.

z1ppy

ginsterdrz – Member
    Just seen a photo of the MX302's.
    I'm no fashion victim but I won't be wearing a pair even if they're free!

Winter boots – Waterproof/warm/fashionable pick two…
    IIRC They also reviewed another pair of Lake boot that looked pretty damned good (not frankensteins cast-offs) & got a decent review, though can't locate them on the Lakes website.
    Though for really decent winter boot, you need to look gaerne eskimo & polar boots, niccccccccccce.

though for all the piss taking, I'd happily have some MX302's if given to me or I was doing the Iditarod Trail Invitational…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Visually, if faced with neoprene over shoes or those Lakes I'd pick the Lakes tbh!

woodsman
    Free Member

I've got some Lake 301's – the bomb!

mudpup
    Free Member

The other Lake shoes are probably MX140's – i have a pair and they are fantastic. eVent lined neoprene bootie with a Boa system fastening and proper grippy rubber soles. They are in stock at UK distributor Moore Large.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Any Spec Defroster or Shim MW80 users out there? Happy bunnies?

geoffj

Any Spec Defroster or Shim MW80 users out there? Happy bunnies?

The Defrosters are neither warm nor waterproof. I've got a pair of sealskinz to try with them this winter, but I'm not holding out much hope. Its a shame cos I really like the BG foot bed for my plates 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

I have defrosters and find them good enough and haven't had any issues with the waterproof-ness but they're definitely not warm – not an issue for me as I don't tend to get cold feet but rubbish as a winter shoe if you do.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I used to get REALLY cold feet and think the MW80s are pretty good.

In icy conditions I prewarm them (left near radiator). They're good for most conditions. The longest run I had with them was 3 hours in the snow and my toes were numb by the end but that was about 2 1/2 hours longer than I'd manage without them.

So they could be even warmer. But they way they are makes them good for Autumn and Spring wet days so I get more use out of them than I thought I would.

I rode through all of last winter and only ever had water inside them once (got stuck in a deep muddy puddle and had to walk out) and they have'nt smelt great since 😳 I'm very reluctant to machine wash them like I do to my MP66W's etc.

Overall – 4.5 stars from me. Just make sure you try them on with your warm / thick socks (I'm a 43 usually but these needed a 45). If they do get wet inside try and dry them out asap with a fan or something.

FuzzyWuzzy

Defrosters with wool socks are pretty warm but not amazing, in hindsight I would have bought something different :p

mieszko
    Free Member

Just got a pair of MW80 as an early x-mas gift. They are ace, don't look too bad and kept my feet nice and warm on a short ride today. I'm off to try them out on a longer ride now and if it rains I'll see whether they are waterproof. Very good first impression and seems well made and solid boots. I'm usually Shimano 46/11 but went a size up to 47 and they are spot on. Also they were on offer from cycle-world for £80 (that's where I got mine). Hopefully it will be all good and the happy days of warm and dry feet during winter without the faff of using overshoes will mean I'll be cycling more 🙂

Good idea with the prewarming as they stay nice and warm inside during the ride.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I've just had a handful of rides with my MW80's but so far I've been impressed. In near zero temperatures I've only required summer socks and the other night in the wet they did a pretty good job of repelling water. I'm sure the first time I step in deep puddle or stream they'll leak round the ankle cuff like any other shoe but overall they're very good and very comfortable.
    I'm normally a size 45 and went with 46 on recommendation and they fit great with summer socks leaving just enough extra room for sealskinz or similar.

mmb
    Free Member

had my mw80's for over a year now,after a muddy ride i hose them down while wearing them and my feet are still dry when i take them off,that's all i need to know!.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Thanks folks…..Shimano the way forward methinks!

kimbers

ooops wrong thread

mieszko
    Free Member

Just came back and they are definitely waterproof. Thought it'll be only a cold-ish ride but halfway it started to rain so waterproofness was tested as well (got to love the weather in Scotland). My feet were warm and dry all the time and the shoes were very comfortable on the first proper outing. I hate wet and cold feet so probably best gift this year 🙂

stevemorg2

Just come back from my first ride with mw80s – I had to buy 2 sizes bigger than normal but they are great – plenty of room for 2 pairs of socks(1 thin, 1 thick). I'm really impressed with them

cove123
    FOG

another vote for MW80s. One ride last winter I had to get off and run with the bike my feet were so cold so I decided to invest- excellent purchase. Their only failing is , I suspect, common to all waterproof footware. When its really wet the water rolls down your leg and in the top of the boot. There is a neoprene cuff which keeps it to a minimum but as Dr Who says -water always wins.

dobo
    Free Member

i like the mw80's too, i suffer cold toes when its real cold and they just about fend off the numbness, which as someone else has mentioned means they are a fairly flexible 2-3 season boot.
    they are waterproof but if you wear socks that stick out the top and it rains or you go through deep puddles the water soaks down into the boot.
    At the recent STW swinley ride my mw80s were squelchy wet like everyone i think but they were wet and warm. had woolie boolie socks on if it matters. this happens too if you put trousers or full length longs on under the boots, but the same can be said for most boots

it has to be pretty wet though, the odd shower and puddle dont matter

crispybacon
    Free Member

yet another vote for MW80s. Bought a pair last Winter & they are great in both the Wet & cold. I also bought a pair one size bigger than normal to accommodate Sealskinz socks. They are not cheap but out on the trail when you've got warm dry feet they are well worth the expense 🙂

avdave2

Just to reiterate what others have said about the mw80's they keep my feet warm unless it gets really cold and I'm out for more than a couple of hours but they don't cook your feet in autumn or spring. Before my feet were numb within 20 minutes in the winter.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have MW80s and they do work, but cannot emphasise the fit issues enough. If I wear thick socks with mine, my feet get cold very quickly because they are tighter than my spesh shoes. I did upsize a bit and got them for £40 but you really need to try them on before buying.

steviep
    Free Member

I have both MW80s and Lake winter boots and the Lakes are far warmer. Once it gets cold I only wear the lake boots they are so much better. I use the shimanos more in the spring and autumn just to keep my feet dry which they do well but they are most definately not warm!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘WMB – Which winter boots have won?’ is closed to new replies.