Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Within a Mile of Home
  • simmy
    Free Member

Sure I saw this somewhere and have just tried it.

Just done a ride with no Camelbak or Bottle just Helmet and Gloves but didnt leave an area further than a mile from Home.

Garmin’d it and Ive done 10 miles in an hour. Thats my average anyway so just wondered if anyone else uses this method for a quick blast ?

Gotta say it was good going out without all the stuff i usually carry knowing I could just push home if something broke.

RealMan
    Free Member

Got some local DH trails pretty close to me, usually just roll down there with a bottle of water and maybe a chocolate bar.

druidh
    Free Member

10 miles without a drink?

Crazzzzy!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know, how many pubs must he have passed

djglover
    Free Member

I’m guessing you normally have a pack that makes you look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle?

Tools for all eventualities, waterproofs, maps, track pump, spare tyres, 16 gallon bladder?

nbt

sounds like me when I go out. Didn’t stop us having to leave one guy in the pub on wednesdays ride when his tyre ripped at the furthest point of the ride, while the rest of us dashed home so someon could go and pick him up

back to the op, I’m lucky, there’s plenty of good stuff near me. I rarely ride *just* that though.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Often go out and stay local for an hour or so. Few ups and downs and if it breaks then walk home. Usually out with dog. Feels great.
    Some of my bikes even have bottle cages!

ton

i ride from home with no helmet or drinks or spares, all the time.
    i just take my mobile, just in case i have to phone my mrs to rescue me.

mt
    Free Member

4k from my house I lay on the ground with a broken femur wishing I’d had a space blanket and or a bit of extra kit as I was so close to home. Not saying it’s not great to be out with very little gear not far from home been doing it for years but a of something to keep you safe is useful. 2.5 hours is a long time to wait to be shipped out buy the ambulance. On a brighter note did my first outdoor ride today after 5 and half months, managed an hour.

simmy
    Free Member

I’m guessing you normally have a pack that makes you look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle?

Tools for all eventualities, waterproofs, maps, track pump, spare tyres, 16 gallon bladder?

Pretty much lol – except a smaller pump but I do carry a spare chain, mech hanger, tubes, first aid kit – thats the problem with big bags – you fill em.

No Pub stops as Im Teetotal and Id no Lock with me – round here if got off the bike it would get nicked 😯

sparksmcguff

Oh risky. Normally I’m out like said Nija Turtle. Last night I did a 45km ride (sounds better in KM) with just two bottles of water. No tools. No spares. No phone. Mostly a good 8 mile push from home. I didn’t mean to do it, it just sort of happened!

garage-dweller

I have been very grateful for someone else’s well stocked rucksack recently. Spare nobby nic saved me a four mile walk on a filthy wet nightride. an hour near home i would still take a tube, multitool and gas cart and a phone . I hate walking.home.

rOcKeTdOg

Spare nobby nic saved me a four mile walk on a filthy wet nightride

you take spare tyres out with you?? 😯

Teetosugars
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    I have been very grateful for someone else’s well stocked rucksack recently. Spare nobby nic saved me a four mile walk on a filthy wet nightride.

WTF??? Someone carries spare tyres on a ride!??

Really? 😕 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

lifetime of carrying a spare time = worse than one 4 mile walk

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with a guy who carried a spare tyre. I asked him if he’d ever needed it. He hadn’t.

njee20
    Free Member

A spare chain is almost as bad! Power Link and chain tool. Why would you need a whole chain?!

RealMan
    Free Member

A friend also has ridden with someone who carried a spare front brake too (this was in the Alps – don’t know if he did it on his local 15 mile xc loop).

Stoner
    Free Member

My regular ride is all in a 2km radius circle around my local pub 😉

Usually do a 10mile route on the SS 4 or 5 times a week with a spare inner strapped to the seatpost, trail tool in my pocket and teensy lezyne on the bottle cage mount. Mobile and beer tokens in the other pocket.

Its nice to be light on your treads.

PrinceJohn

4k from my house I lay on the ground with a broken femur wishing I’d had a space blanket and or a bit of extra kit as I was so close to home. Not saying it’s not great to be out with very little gear not far from home been doing it for years but a of something to keep you safe is useful. 2.5 hours is a long time to wait to be shipped out buy the ambulance. On a brighter note did my first outdoor ride today after 5 and half months, managed an hour.

Ouch. I broke my femur on March 12, the ambulance was with me in 20mins. I managed my first ride about 3 weeks ago, feels amazing doesn’t it?

aracer
    Free Member

I rode with a guy who carried a spare tyre. He’s lost a bit of weight now though.

simmy
    Free Member

A spare chain is almost as bad! Power Link and chain tool. Why would you need a whole chain?!

Ive snapped 2 mech hangers in a year and wrecked 2 chains as well so I got a couple of chains off E Bay & just chucked one in the bag.

Lazyness and speed of just putting a complete chain on rather than using a chain tool I suppose.

Still got the chain tool and a couple of powerlinks in the bag as well though……. 😳

beanieripper
    Free Member

if your not strapping a second bike to your back with old innertubes you are going to get caught out (eventually)

Junkyard
    Free Member

In a group we have been known to take a spare tyre
    No point having 6 pumps and 6 multitools between you is there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No point having 6 pumps and 6 multitools between you is there?

Only it’s always the guy at the back who needs it.

Did a 110km 3000m ascent road ride within 10km of home.

Have 20km trail loop within 10km of the door. Occasionally I’ll leave the bag but never the lid.

crikey
    Free Member

Ernest Shackleton must be worried….. 🙄

GW
    Free Member

i ride from home with no helmet or drinks or spares, all the time.
    i just take my mobile, just in case i have to phone my mrs to rescue me.and some money for the pub

+1
    lucky enough to have at least 40miles of singletrack within a 3mile radius.

samuri
    Free Member

he he. I think the furthest out I’ve been is 20 or so miles with no helmet or kit.

I’ve walked back 13 miles before. That was a long day.

ononeorange

I have always carried a lot (admittedly not a spare tyre though!) but in the light evenings this year tore up my personal rule book and started doing 10+ mile blasts on my singlespeed with no camelbak / water, just trying to maintain a good speed (admittedly straying up to 6 or so miles from home). I did that half a dozen times and was astonished at the fun of it and the effect on fitness (admittedly pisspoor to start with) – on the same route with 2 good climbs/descents average speed went up from 10 to 12.5 mph and I feel so much stronger on the bike. Thoroughly recommended, but does need the middle of summer for decent light / dry evenings.

tinsy
    Free Member

I have had this great idea, I am going to invent a small bag that fits just under my saddle, it will be large enough to carry a multi tool, chain tool, a tube and quick link, I will add some duct tape wrapped around a biro, and a couple of cable ties, maybe even a mech hanger.

I will call this a saddle suitcase.

I then had another idea, just in case I got a little thirsty I thought I could probably cobble up some sort of device to hold a drink bottle on my frame, not sure what to call this, maybe.

Bottle bracket?

Will this catch on?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not unless you make it really expensive and patent the fixing method making all bike companies license the distance between the fixing holes and sue anyone who suggests it already exists

slowboydickie

If I’m riding in the Lakes alone and going out all day I carry a spare tyre (ever since i had an 8 mile walk home from Nibthwaite to grizedale. around home just a bottle, tube and tyre lever.

jam-bo

Within a mile is ok.
    Within 2 miles is getting fun
    Within 5 miles is awesome

clubber
    Free Member

jambo +1

rocketman
    Free Member

Just done a ride with no Camelbak or Bottle just Helmet and Gloves but didnt leave an area further than a mile from Home.

hardcore!

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m with you tinsy.

Spare tube, hanger, cable ties, multi tool with splitter, chain links, levers, cable ties, tape, Park tools patches, section of tyre, led rear light, etc in a very small saddle bag + bottle cage on frame. It would be more of a faff to take it off to go riding.

MrGreedy

tinsy – Member

I have had this great idea, I am going to invent a small bag that fits just under my saddle

Not aesthetically pleasing admittedly, but for summer rides in non-remote terrain this is definitely the way to go. The biggest problem in this weather is water – even with two 750ml bottles I needed four separate refill stops on Saturday’s (admittedly fairly lengthy) ride.

mmannerr

On a short rides near home I ride often with Camelbak or similar without bladder as tools are already in it and summer pack is very light. On winter rides the bigger pack is used similarly.

This leads to minimal faffing when required gear is always ready to go.

portlyone

I’ve had a chain snap on me while out for a short blast (forgot to put the powerlink in my seat bag).

Did get a few odd looks as I hobby-horsed back home in SPDs.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Lots of legitimate and cheeky, plus Ashton Court and Leigh Woods within three miles of home, so quite a lot of scope. Not as much vertical as when I lived in Calderdale, mind 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Within a Mile of Home’ is closed to new replies.