Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wiring/pipework detector
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

Daughter’s asked me to put up a few shelfs in her new house mainly in the kitchen which is fine but I’m a bit reluctant to start drilling holes without being sure I’m not going to hit anything! Anyone use one they’d recommend?

bigad40
    Free Member

Stanley do a stud finder (as in stud walls) that is ok, game may have moved on since I bought mine.
    Try the usual B&Q, screwfix or electrical supply shops CEF etc

mark90
    Free Member

I borrowed a Silverline one. Tested it against known locations and it was very hit and miss detecting. I wouldn’t trust it.

leffeboy

I used to have one of the cheap plasplugs ones but it was a real pain as it didn’t seem very consistent. As this is something I do a fair amount I gave in and got a more expensive Bosch model. It’s not around any more but the pic below looks like the new version. It works perfectly, has never given me any problems and I’ve got good confidence that it doesn’t miss stuff

project
    Free Member

Check first if she has HDPE plumbing eg plastic pipes as they dont pick up plastic or water only metal, also foil lined wallpaper or plasterboard sends then haywire.

Look for plug sockets and pipes both should run up and down and right to left, unles youre had a muppet diyer who ran everything diagonal to save cable and pipe.

Pipe detector from B and q and then just take it back for a refund when used, but always a handy thing to keep.

ian-r

Just been using one off the Bosch ones. According to mine about 1/3 of the wall had live electrical cables behind it. The wall has one socket and no light switches. Unless the sparky had run cables to the socket in a big spiral From the roof I think it was not very accurate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wiring/pipework detector’ is closed to new replies.