Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wiring question
  • Pieface

I'm adding 3 sockets in a room. On the advice of an electrician (unpaid) i've run a small ring of cable to each of the new sockets, with the 2 ends near the outlet cable of another socket. Plan is the electrician will come round to tell me how to finish it off, but I think the next thing to do is cut the outlet from the existing socket, and then join the cut cable to the ends of the new cables – basically adding an extra few sockets. I've bought 2 30 amp junction boxes that I will use as 2 way junctions to connect each end of the existing / new cables together. I guess 30 amps is sufficient?

All sounds fairly sound to me, any thoughts (apart from pay a sparky and part P stuff) much appreciated.

dmiller
    Free Member

(apart from pay a sparky and part P stuff)

Honestly if your not 100% sure don't risk it – it will cost you more to get a sparky to fix it than just paying them to connect it all up. Running the cables is the boring and time consuming bit (which it sounds like you have done) so just get a sparky to do the rest and get your part p for home insurance / resell etc.

5lab

i think part P is only relevent in 'wet' rooms (bathroom and kitchen) – otherwise you're free to do it yourself

You don't necessarily need the junction box – a neater solution would just be to spur from the existing socket (saves having the box kicking around)

jon1973
    Free Member

a neater solution would just be to spur from the existing socket

You need to check whether the socket you intend to take a spur off of is not a spur itself, or already being used as a donor to another spur.

You need to have 2 sets of wire coming in to the existing socket in order to take a spur. If it only has one set of wires coming in, it is a spur and can't be used to take another one. If it has 3, then it's a donor and can't be used for another spur.

Dudie
    Free Member

Get a sparky to do it. Seriously. Far too much misinformation on here. You can't run three double sockets off an unfused spur for a start. The requirements of Part P apply to all domestic work, not just the notifiable kitchen/bathroom/garden stuff. Get someone who knows what they are doing to carry out the work and certificate it for you.

takisawa2

the next thing to do is cut the outlet from the existing socket, and then join the cut cable to the ends of the new cables – basically adding an extra few sockets. I've bought 2 30 amp junction boxes that I will use as 2 way junctions to connect each end of the existing / new cables together. I guess 30 amps is sufficient?

Thats what I'd do, & have done a few times before. Depends how many sockets the ring already has. If its quite heavy I'd run a new feed from the box if you've a spare breaker.

Pieface

Thanks Taki.

Only have one socket in the room and can't add more than one socket on a spur. The existing socket is definitely a ring as its 2 cables coming in – all I'm doing is extending the existing ring. I'll check with the sparky anyway.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Sounds fairly straightforward. As you say there are two sets of wires to the original socket, so pull out one set and join it to one of the new ones. The other new cable is pushed back up to the existing socket.

Pieface

Cool. 30 amp boxes sufficient? They're the highest they sold in Wickes.

Part P came in to try & stop DIY electrics causing fires & accidents, good call IMO as I've had to deal with far to many fires caused by badly installed electrics including overloading of circuits.

Get it checked over, it's worth it. If you did have a problem then it could affect your insurance let alone the risk factor.

thehustler
    Free Member

alterations to a ringmain electrics carried out by DIY with no part P, the question begs "what insurance?" Its no accident that cable is now date stamped, and insurance companies will use the info……..

midlifecrashes

That's why I bought a couple of extra reels of the old colourways before it sold out. 😉

Yes, 30A boxes sufficient, Wickes kit is OK, but some of the brand name stuff like MK is actually easier to use for a DIYer as the cable entry and exit positions are often better thought out, giving more room in the box to work. Screwfix is good if you have one close. As above, if you're not sure, just run the wires to where you think they're needed, leave a bit spare and wait for a sparky to do the joins. Don't forget your grommets and earth sleeving when you go shopping.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wiring question’ is closed to new replies.