Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wiring a shed
  • goon
    Free Member

My friend has a shed, about 3 feet outside his outside wall, which he'd like to put sockets and lights in.

His dad is good at rewiring, although not certified etc. Some of the jobs he has done on his own property in France are perfectly serviceable. He is confident it will be safe.

However, he has found out about Part P regulations (news to him, not having had any work like this done before). The house was last surveyed for sale in 2002. If he had it done, and it became apparent during a subsequent survey, could he get away with saying it was done during the interim period between the last survey, and when Part P came in? (2005)

I'll pass on any advice. 😉

thepurist

Only if he bought the wire a few years ago, otherwise it'll have the new colours on & be a bit of a giveaway (if anyone bothers to check).

If he's confident that he's competent and will comply with the latest regs then he can submit plans to the local authority, do it himself and get the building inspector in to certify it when he's done.

saladdodger
    Free Member

but he will have to provide test certificates after the work is complete to prove it is safe.

His dad is good at rewiring, although not certified etc. Some of the jobs he has done on his own property in France are perfectly serviceable. He is confident it will be safe.

Just because a light goes on and off it does not mean a instalation is safe

tbh he may well appear to be good but, wiring kit in and knowing what to use are two differant things for example

How is the house earthed is it TT,PMS or PME whichever system it is dictates wether or not a earth spike is required because the shed is outside the earth protected bonding zone according to BS7671 (17th edition wiring regs)

I am not trying to be a smart arse but I am trying to make you aware

saladdodger
    Free Member

oops sorry it's not PMS it should be TNS

goon
    Free Member

I am not trying to be a smart arse

Didn't think that at all, I'm genuinely seeking advice. Might well be more trouble than a couple of sockets and a light fitting is worth.

Many thanks everyone.

lovewookie

you know what I did? I went to B&Q got an oudoor socket kit with a 3 pin plug breaker switch included and buried a cable in the garden to the shed. I'll eventually route it over the pergola and skywards to the shed, then grow something over it, but it'll do there for now.

I wired it into a 4 way socket and use a halogen inspection lamp clamped to the roof beam.

My thoughs are, if it's wired to a breaker on a 13 amp fuse it'll be fine.

Providing you're not intending on using heavy tools in it it should suffice.

disconnect it when moving house.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Same as lovewookie with an RCD socket.

goon
    Free Member

Interesting. Would this be safe with an old fashioned 1950s fuseboard?
    I'll be using a small compressor (150 Watt) some standard lighting and a PC.

lovewookie

should be fine, providing you've not got a 2Kw heater on the go.

Just think about what you would normally plug into a single socket with a gangue plug.

goon
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks.

saladdodger
    Free Member

goon – Member
    Interesting. Would this be safe with an old fashioned 1950s fuseboard?
    I'll be using a small compressor (150 Watt) some standard lighting and a PC.

Now this does get my goat 1950's fuseboard and I bet you use disc brakes on your bike

There is a lot of priority issues here

You cannot see electricity and it can HURT to say the least, hence the wiring regs and the building control, have you not heard of health and safty?????

I have tested a houses where a toddler was killed by a dangerous installation the day before the worst job I have ever done. For what saving a few pounds

sorry but I do feel strongly on this subject

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    If he's confident that he's competent and will comply with the latest regs then he can submit plans to the local authority, do it himself and get the building inspector in to certify it when he's done.

While build inspectors are legally requires to do this, in reality they don't have the skills so will demand you get a certificate from a qualified spark before signing off a new installation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wiring a shed’ is closed to new replies.