Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wireless router Q
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there a way to find out if someone is using my wifi? Seems bizarre but i changed the password and it speeded up. I don’t get billed for it so can’t check that.

wwaswas

change it back and see if the ‘sendign data’ lights are flashing when you’re nto using it?

geoffj

Some let you see who is currently attached in the configuration window. Its a function which is useful for allowing a set of known MAC addresses.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, list MAC addresses, then set the connectable machines just to your stuff. Fairly easy to circumnavigate MAC filtering, but its one more thing they gotta do, most like they’ll find an easier target.

Torminalis
    Free Member

In the configuration of the router there is likely to be a DHCP management page which will tell you exactly who is currently using that router. If there are more IP Addresses assigned than devices at your end it is likely that someone else is using your connection. It should also tell you their mac address which as stated above, can be blocked.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all. Doesn’t look like any other MAC has been using the router. Odd.

Cougar

Can you see what’s connected previously, or just what’s currently connected? (I ask because, from memory, on my router it’s only the latter).

cynic-al
    Free Member

It listed 5 devices, one of which has been broken for months (flatmate’s laptop) so I presumed it would have caught a device that was logged on last week.

Stil perplexed, but it is working…

luked2
    Free Member

You’re using WPA right? It’s not just wide open or using WEP?

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you are using say Vista or Windows 7 and a new password may create a new wireless profile and thus may have reset some dodgy settings on your laptop?

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

Also changing password may have needed a reboot, reconnecting occasionally can help speed it up a bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wireless router Q’ is closed to new replies.