Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • wireless printers
  • inigomontoya
    Free Member

I tried Google but decided to ask at the source of all knowledge.

If I get a wireless printer do i also need a router on the network? I don’t have a land line in my office, just use a three dongle. Pc is on It’slast legs so considering just moving over to a tablet, but need to print the occasional letter and invoice.

Stoner
    Free Member

yes, think you need a wireless router to address the printer.

You could try a bluetooth printer.*

* subject to PC & Tablet support, natch.

t_i_m
    Free Member

If I remember correctly when setting mine up: yes, you need a router. And you need to allow the printer’s MAC address onto your network (depending on level of you network’s security).

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have an HP wireless printer that uses both wifi and bluetooth. Both work fine though I have only used wifi via a wireless router. Not sure about using wifi without the router but it may be possible. What does your PC have built in bluetooth, wifi or both?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Currently just got a normal usb printer, the idea would be to do away with the pc and just use a tablet. Will look into Bluetooth printers, cheers

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

If I get a wireless printer do i also need a router on the network?

Not necessarily. You can probably connect to the printer with a cable and give it a manual IP address. Then set up an ad-hoc network from your PC or Mac. Should work in theory.

What sort of business is it? iPad’s and other tablets are great but they’re really for consumption rather than creation – you can’t touch type on a touch screen.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

The pc is only used for making appointments, and receipts and very occasional letters, would probably just do those at home anyway. office is at home really “the office” is just where I see patients.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘wireless printers’ is closed to new replies.