Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wireless Networking in the house – more than one router?
  • fisha
    Free Member

At the moment, I have a single BT home hub in the house. For the most part, I can get a decent enough signal anywhere in the house.

We are now doing an extension and i know that once it is done, I’ll not be able to get a signal everywhere.

Is it possible to add more transmitters to the main one, and have them spread throughout the house … say for example one in the main living area, one in the bedroom area and one in the conservatory area that would be able to get signal to the patio / garden?

How difficult is that to do ?

Shakey
    Free Member

Easy, you will need a number of powerline adapters, one near the router and one for each room, and some access points (AP700 from Draytek are excellent). I have used this set-up myself and it works really well.

wwaswas

you can also get wi-fi repeaters – effectively they just take the signal and pass it on (each way).

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive tried two wifi repeaters (range extenders) and the better of the two has been a great success:

http://www.dabs.com/products/netgear-universal-wifi-range-extender-72GR.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product+search

cant recommend it highly enough.

NetGear Universal WiFi Range Extender
    Mfr#: WN2000RPT for about £60

jeff

Lots of home hub tips here.

If you have 2 hubs or a spare second wireless router then you can set it us as a repeater or second access point. I set up an old home hub for a friend as a wireless access point for his new cabin at the end of his garden. He had a cat 5 cable out to the end of the garden though.

I also use mains networking with my home hub – works pretty well compared to the wireless performance of the home hub.

surfer
    Free Member

Run Cat5 now while the building work is being done. Wireless is fine but having copper can help sometimes.
    Just add another wireless access point on the other end.

fisha
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’ll look into those ideas.

As its a bungalow, I’m wondering whether I would see much success in running cat 5 through the attic space and having the routers positioned above the rooms. I’ll need to test how well the hub works through the ceilings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Networking in the house – more than one router?’ is closed to new replies.